ToDo-notes vs tasks vs calendar

• Evernote Expert

Tasks live inside a note. So you can add the tasks to the connected note. They will appear in the combined tasks list and allow you to connect to the note when needed. You can also connect the note to connected calendar events.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, agsteele said:

Tasks live inside a note. So you can add the tasks to the connected note. They will appear in the combined tasks list and allow you to connect to the note when needed. You can also connect the note to connected calendar events.

I have read your answer several times. Can't get a direct grip on what's so good about tasks.
Maybe due to the fact that English isn't my first language. Or that I'm simply slow-witted...😀
Can I ask you to explain one more time? To someone who is a bit slow?

• Evernote Expert

Now, I don't think that I claimed that Tasks are good ;) I do use Tasks in Evernote but not necessarily to their greatest advantage. I am more conventional in my approach. I tend to think of a task and add it to a list. I get more benefit when I think of note content and add tasks to the context in which they need to be actioned. In Evernote a task can only exist inside a note. So a more adventurous approach to tasks is to think in terms of the note.

An example... I am currently moving house.  This has generated multiple notes dealing with different aspects of the process. Each note has its own task or tasks which are connected to the particular note content which is more focused to the particular note activity. I can then connect each note to particular calendar entries so that effectively the tasks are all connected to note content and, if needed, to calendar events. I also have a note which is more of a checklist of things that I need to do between now and when we move. The checklist note could have been a simple checklist although using tasks allows me to set due dates and reminders whereas a checklist is static.

On top of that all those tasks are presented in a single view through the Tasks panel in the sidebar which can be displayed by note, due date or a simple task list.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Now, I don't think that I claimed that Tasks are good ;) I do use Tasks in Evernote but not necessarily to their greatest advantage. I am more conventional in my approach. I tend to think of a task and add it to a list. I get more benefit when I think of note content and add tasks to the context in which they need to be actioned. In Evernote a task can only exist inside a note. So a more adventurous approach to tasks is to think in terms of the note.

An example... I am currently moving house.  This has generated multiple notes dealing with different aspects of the process. Each note has its own task or tasks which are connected to the particular note content which is more focused to the particular note activity. I can then connect each note to particular calendar entries so that effectively the tasks are all connected to note content and, if needed, to calendar events. I also have a note which is more of a checklist of things that I need to do between now and when we move. The checklist note could have been a simple checklist although using tasks allows me to set due dates and reminders whereas a checklist is static.

On top of that all those tasks are presented in a single view through the Tasks panel in the sidebar which can be displayed by note, due date or a simple task list.

Oki. Thanks! 👍

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, agsteele said:

For me this is the main thing that tasks bring that a simple checklist can't. I love the concept of attaching a task to a note. The tasks panel then gives the overview of "what needs doing now" over all projects, notes etc.

• Like 4

Same! I bumped up my notes as project notes, letting the reminders of the note to be the project deadline. The tasks inside that note Will act as the actual tasks. 
I used to have a dedicated todo app (Todoist) but am trying to consolidate the actions to a single app as all my project resource materials live in Evernote. 

let’s see how this develops 👍🏻

• Like 4
  • Level 5
9 hours ago, agsteele said:

Actually, is great to ask. That's how we pick up hints and tips from other users. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I've saved this thread to my Evernote note on learning to use Tasks, once I decide to plunge into them. As they say, there are no dumb questions!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a trip coming up and I've added the various elements of the trip as tasks.  Airline boarding pass,  hotel reservation,  rental car.  These tasks will be visible on the day that I travel and simply selecting the task will also bring up the notes that contain the relevant information.  Likewise, I have a blood test coming up and I've set it up as a task.  It will be easily accessible on that day and will also contain the authorization from the doctor that's linked to that task.  I think that I like using tasks the most when  I can attach documents or notes to that task.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, abbyjoy said:

As a plus member, do I have the task panel and can sort by due date?

Nope - what Pink has posted is correct from my personal experience as being a Plus member (when I was one last year).

You can use tasks inside the note, but you don't get the Task view to group them altogether. This almost makes Tasks useless except for you can see the little purple icon indicators in the note list and I think you can filter the list by notes that have tasks. It's a teaser feature to try and get Free (and legacy Plus and discounted Premium) users to upgrade.

I doubt any new features in Evernote will be given to Plus users (and not to Free users).

Tasks was one of the reasons that I moved away from Plus to Personal, but there were other reasons too. But beware, once you leave the Plus plan, you can't go back to it!