Enote-Firefox sync (also Chrome) has mostly stopped working...

Sync (full page) using Firefox has mostly stopped working, on average complexity web sites. Simplified Article will still work.

Sync starts, and hangs at a low percentage number.

Windows installed Enote vrsn : 10.43.7-win-ddl-public (3598)
Editor: v155.1.18957
Service: v1.56.2
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Firefox app vrsn: 7.26.0.403-b44e7fe

If any of that helps.

Chrome (not my normal browser, but as a test) has same problems.

This just started in the last few days.

Any suggestions??

thx,

• Evernote Expert

I need to confirm your issue. I think you are saying that when you use the web clipper the resulting clip does not seem toarrive in your desktop application.

Is that correct?

Have you tried accessing your account through the web browser? Are the web clips there?

• Evernote Expert

So, I think an issue with the web clipper.

I would certainly uninstall the web clipper in Firefox then reinstall. This will certainly be recommended by support. If that doesn't work then you will probably need to open a support ticket.

• Level 5
14 hours ago, markeh said:

No. The clip never finishes. It starts, registers a percent complete (in the range of 3-20%) and hangs there for ever. It will never progress, so it will never sync.

This page as an example:

https://musu.bi/shop/tomo-system/folio-notebooks-a5/cosmo-air-light-83

starts with "Saving your clip 3%".  It will never progress farther.

Hope that helps.

MH

Interesting. I tried that page using the MS Edge browser, and had the exact same problem: the full-page clip hung at 3%. OTOH, this more or less random page clipped 100% very quickly: https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/recipes/peach-butter-easy-crockpot-recipe/ar-AA11en3m. Could there be something odd about the Tomo System web page?

Here is another page with same problem:

https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/taccia-miyabi-fountain-pens/products/taccia-miyabi-earth-aka-tamenure-fountain-pen-limited-edition

It must be the page, since simpler pages work fine, and this fails across multiple browsers. BUT - I don't think the situation is that unusual. I have (recently) found a number of pages that also fail. So I think Evernote needs to learn to deal with them.

So imo, it's a bug.

• Level 5

This definitely deserves a bug report, esp. since it just started in the last few days. Go to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new if you have a paid subscription. Free users may be able to get support on Twitter; or go to https://www.evernote.com/client/web and click your account name at top left and select Share feedback.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, markeh said:

I think Evernote needs to learn to deal with them.

So imo, it's a bug.

Hi.  Given the bazillion coding systems out there and browsers that update daily,  I think its a minor miracle that Evernote can provide a viable copy of some or all of most web pages in most sizes of screen across several OS's.  I'm happy to get 98% of clips pretty easily,  but there are mean websites that have no intention of sharing their content without a fight and then I have to bring in external help to grab a copy of the site.  Nimbus Capture is my go-to clipper backup and while my Brave clipper hung at 3% like everyone else's,  Nimbus sucked the page in without any issue...  -that's a 2.2MB clip mind...

screenshot-musu.bi-2022_08.30-23_06_08.thumb.png.5167f005ff242641ae17a8265c2f4ba3.png

- and not being able to get a clip of a favourite website is not a bug - it's just a chance to explore alternatives...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just tested all URLs that were posted here, on MacBook Pro with Safari 15.6.1 and WebClipper 7.26.

All pages worked.

What did not work was the folio-notebook site, when I extended the range from the originally selected to a larger part of the full page (but still in Article mode, not in full page mode).

I can confirm that yesterday (after web clipper updated itself) I had one page being stuck a 4% eternally as well. But I didn't copy the URL.

To me it seems that something was introduced into the latest version what makes clipping less stable than before.

• Level 5

Talking about alternative clippers: This clip was taken with the Mac menu bar helper tool Shottr. It is quite universal and has several modes, this here being taken with the (auto-) scrolling screen capture. It is an jpg image file, 1.9MB in size.

SCR-20220831-c9.thumb.jpeg.9d291b2af7d683b92219d1eafb7d3e22.jpeg

By using OWL OCR, another free tool I can convert the image back into a text - and export both as a searchable pdf. OK, in this case the site was searchable, and this was lost when the screenshot was taken, but as a proof of concept, it is possible to create searchable content this way as well. It just is much less elegant than the original web clipper.

Searchable pdf.pdf

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Nimbus Capture is my go-to clipper backup and

Can you explain a little more about Nimbus Capture? An alternative capture I presume. Free or paid? Where to find?

And can the capture still end up in Evernote??

thx,

• Level 5*

Hi.  A quick internet search should turn up some links,  but here's the Chrome Extension - it's free,  and generates an image file from all or part of your page;  what you do with the image file is up to you.  Attaching it to an Evernote note should be easy (depending on the size of the image!)