Unable to create a template

I'm trying to create a template from a new note that I've set up for that purpose. When I click the More actions button, the option to Save as template... is there, but it's grayed out and unusable. I've done this recently without a problem, but now it's not working.

Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks.

• Evernote Expert

Presuming you haven't reached the limit on the number of templates allowed... I think this issue has been reported before. 

I think the solution was to add a heading in the text of the original note. Remove the heading and then the save as a template appears.

Try searching for Template in the forums.

• Level 5*

Also...

Are you a subscriber?  Free users don't (I think) get this option.

Did you sync your account?  A brand new unsynced note won't 'template'.

Worst case - sync your note and export it as an ENEX file to your desktop.  Double-click the file to generate a new note with that content.

I am a subscriber (Personal Plan). I wasn't aware that there might be a limit on the number of templates we can create. I have seen that in any of the plan descriptions. Is that really a thing?

Good to know about the syncing issue. I've looked but I haven't been able to find a way to manually sync everything up. Is that possible or must we just give it some time and let things happen in Evernote's own good time?

What I did that I thought was a band-aid fix was to find the note on my mobile app. I was able to create the template there, but the fact that I could even find the note on my phone would, of course, mean that things had synced up. At that point, I may have been able to create the template on the desktop app, but I didn't think to check.

I'm good now, but I am curious to know if there's actually a limit on the number of templates we can create.

Thank you both for the help.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The template limit is 20 user templates.

The way I read that section is that the limit applies to notes saved to your personal template 'store' as official templates.  One other way to create a template is to have a Template notebook containing 'parent' notes,  and then to copy or duplicate the parent note each time you need a document in that format.  AFAIK there is no limit on how many unofficial 'templates' you could create in that format.  Likewise the ENEX option - exported notes do not count toward your total.

Thanks again, folks, for getting me up to speed on EN's limitations and some good ideas on how to work around them.

I am still finding that the Save as template... option is grayed out in the Windows desktop and web client for notes that have been in my database for a very long time. Once again, these same notes allow me to create a template using the mobile app.

Is there any kind of bug reporting system that puts one in direct contact with Evernote's support people? They seem big on having us use the community forums, but I haven't been able to find a way to contact them directly. The forums are great, but as helpful as you folks have been, unless you're an undercover Evernote employee, the problem isn't being communicated to the people who can actually resolve it.

• Level 5

Bug reports is through a support ticket. I think it is the easiest way through the mobile client, settings, support. (or by using the link provided by @agsteele ).

There is a bug in the desktop clients that prevents saving as template.

Workaround: Create a header in the note. Select any text, or type something into a new line. When selected, choose one of the headers in TextStyles. It will format the text as header. You can delete it right away, it just needs any header style to be inserted once.

Now the "Save as template" should work.

I tried the link provided, but all that did was bring me to a login screen (I was already logged in), then to the page in the attachment. No opportunity to submit a support ticket. But I'm guessing, based on the previous post, that this is a known issue and it's being dealt with, so I'll not worry about it for now, especially with the workarounds provided.

Thanks to all for the help.

2022-08-15_11-24-08.jpg

• Level 5
3 hours ago, DaveM said:

I am still finding that the Save as template... option is grayed out in the Windows desktop and web client for notes that have been in my database for a very long time. Once again, these same notes allow me to create a template using the mobile app.

This bug has been reported in the forums a few times. Simply do any typing at all in the note (it doesn't have to be a heading, and you can then just undo it). That should activate the "Save as template" option.

I am having this issue.  I have no template button on any of my Evernotes.  I am using version 10.42.7-mac-mas-public (459255)
Editor: v154.0.18759.  Service: v1.56.1

I have a template saved but I have never seen the button. I would REALLY like this feature working.

• Evernote Expert

There isn't a Template button to create a template.  It is typical to require that you first add a heading to a note before you can save as a template.  You add the heading and then remove it if you don't need it.

To create a note based on a template you will see a grey Open Gallery in the empty note.  If you add any text to the note then the button is not available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folk,

Couple of minutes ago, I was searching for the solution for the same issue, but I found the way to fix it :). It is to let the note "automatically" create the header for you.

I am a subscriber for the personal plan and have fewer than 20 templates in my database, so I was wondering the same that why I can't save a note as a new template (greyed out).

My solution is that:

1. remove your note header (let it be blank)

2. type the header of the note on the first line in your note content

3. click once on the header line, then an automatically created header should come up

4. the 'save as a template' button should work.

<when the original header exists, the 'save as a template' button is greyed. (sorry it's Chinese, but I bet you know which button is grey 🤣)>

image.thumb.png.7c4fd38c63d13bd018d8dd9219deba91.png

<remove the header and copy paste the header to the first line in the note>

image.thumb.png.18a366aa22ca456375fefae53650edd7.png

<The 'save as a template' button can work now.>

Now, just simply click on the header line, and then an automatic header should come up.

image.thumb.png.bb3d44e962bb6f39685eeb6a527c1a29.png

Hope this tip could work for you!

• Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...

I have the same problem in the German version Evernote 10.46.7

I have the personal plan, only 2 templates, and it worked before. 

But today it didnt work anymore. I can see the  "Add as a template" selection but it is grey and I cannot klick on it.

I tried severals things, like remove of the titel and make a new one. I tried on other notes to make a template out of it, but it doesnt change anything. It is not working.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-16 um 15.30.40.png

@rstrejcek, I'm only guessing at the logic, but the system seems to look for a note with changes to be saved, so that the "Save as Template..." command will work. That's why we make changes to the file (then delete them) and try saving while it's still fresh. At least that's what works for me. 

Does that give you some idea?