New note start in title area

• Evernote Expert

Some people like to start with a title and others like to provide a title once they have created the content. I guess that both are OK. For you, sadly, there is no setting to start in the Title field.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, Johnsonmc2000 said:

How do I get the cursor to start in the title area of a note? It seems ridiculous that it starts in the note body each time? Every note should have a title. Thanks!

You are very convinced that your opinion is the only one.

Technically seen you are not correct: It is not necessary that a note has a title. Opposite to file systems each note has its own unique identifier, which is not the title, and works even if the title field is left blank.

In fact we have only 2 options here, and some users indeed like to start very orderly by creating a title first. Others like to hack right away on their keyboard. And where it is useful because it avoids to set the cursor to the note body first is whenever you use the blue button to add some special content. This button is only available when the cursor is placed in the notes body. This means that currently you can use it right away in a freshly created note.

So there are reasons for every option. You can send your ideas to EN PM by the feedback function build into the browser.

• Like 1

Sign me up for the camp that doesn't really care. Start in the title or in the note -- I'm good either way, but I'd lean towards preferring it to start in the title if I had my choice.  I imagine (i.e. have no way to know) that most Evernote users don't really care either. Some are vocal for one way, others for the other way. Seems like EN could make it a preference, but even adding it as a preference isn't as trivial as it might seem.

• Like 2

Without entering into to the debate about which is "correct" or whether there should be a userdefined option, I will just note that <shift><tab> immediately takes you into the title area.

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...
On 6/25/2022 at 7:48 PM, Boot17 said:

Sign me up for the camp that doesn't really care. Start in the title or in the note -- I'm good either way, but I'd lean towards preferring it to start in the title if I had my choice.  I imagine (i.e. have no way to know) that most Evernote users don't really care either. Some are vocal for one way, others for the other way. Seems like EN could make it a preference, but even adding it as a preference isn't as trivial as it might seem.

I make hundreds of notes a day, even when I start it I CLICK IN THE TITLE area, and guess what?  It shoots me back down to the body.  Taken those 5 seconds, over thousands of notes a week, it adds up.  An option of "start new note in body/title" is incredible simple programming.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Chris VC said:

I make hundreds of notes a day, even when I start it I CLICK IN THE TITLE area, and guess what?  It shoots me back down to the body.

Not my experience. Which operating system? On desktop versions you can <shift><tab>  if clicking doesn't work.

On 6/26/2022 at 8:30 AM, Mike P said:

Without entering into to the debate about which is "correct" or whether there should be a userdefined option, I will just note that <shift><tab> immediately takes you into the title area.

That is a great tip, always learning new stuff.

• Like 1

Windows desktop <shift><tab>  does not take my cursor to the Title. Forced use of the mouse is a major timewaster. In addition I cannot remove bold formatting from text, in this note,  following <shift><tab>.

I am open to any creative workarounds.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Larstein said:

Windows desktop <shift><tab>  does not take my cursor to the Title.

Where/when are you pressing Shift-Tab? Mike P is referring to when you first create a new note that Shift-Tab will take you to the title -- when the cursor is at the very beginning of the note editor -- and it does that for me on Windows desktop.

• Like 1

I use Ctrl N to open a new note. The flashing cursor is at the start of the note. I click Shift then Tab, I also tried clicking them simultaneously with no effect. I have been using Evernote since 2009. I sometimes see reference to "the old version". I do not understand technically what that means.

I currently have 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954)

5 hours ago, Larstein said:

This is the old version, which is probably why <shift>+<tab> doesn't work. It works in V10. You can try the new version on the web if you don't want to download it, although you can run both on the same computer but you need to be careful about syncing.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, Larstein said:

Nearly all forum discussions are about the new clients, version number starting with a „10“. You will usually find that things are not working for you as we discuss them. There will be no support by EN for your version, no new releases, and if it fails one day, it fails.

The new version is available for you as well (at least on the more recent Windows versions). Download it from the EN website, and when it detects an older version, it will lead you through the conversion. If you use local notebooks, export them first. No local notebooks in the new version.

You can install legacy again if you wish after v10 is up and running.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Larstein said:

23 hours ago, Larstein said:

I am open to any creative workarounds.

Since you are using that version, you don't need a work-around.

You should be able to go to "Tools -> Options -> Note" and check the box next to "Set new note focus to title".

image.png.e79d31eeda0802004cb1f0cee819682e.png

This whole thread (and probably others like it) are because in the "new" v10 version Evernote drastically reduced the number of user preferences. The option to set the focus to the title for a new note does not exist (yet?) in the v10 version.

Once/if you move to v10, then you'll have to (and be able to) press <shift><tab> to set the focus to the title.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

I had a workaround on Windows with v10.

Using the AutoHotKey program I was able to create a shortcut which opens a new note and then moves focus to the title. I think I mapped Ctrl+F10 which opened a new note (Ctrl+N) and then switched to the Title (Shift+Tab)

I also use AutoHotKey for several other compound key strokes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My apologies for my intemperate post earlier. I am editing the original to remove the offending font. I use a Mac. New notes used to set the focus to the title. That disappeared a while ago. 

Having the focus start in the title field seems intuitive to me. The removal of this function is irritating and costs me a few seconds with every new note I create. 

Please fix the issue. 

Edited by dpotenzi
I showed too much anger in the original that obscured the message.
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

@dpotenzi You are offensive, and you break the code of conduct in the forum.

We are users around here, dedicating time to help fellow users (often on a Free account).

All capital letters or in your case super large font is unpolite and not tolerated. I ask you to correct it.

If you want to comment with EN staff, use the feedback function or issue a support ticket. You can decide to be rude there, which will not help you to promote your cause either.

• Level 5*

Latest update (at least the Windows version 10.42.7-win-ddl-public (3561)) might help some folks:

• start a new note -- you're start at the top of the note
  • type your note's title in the main text
  • at any point thereafter, clicking your mouse in the note title area or pressing Shift+Tab causes the note's first line to be copied to the Note's title

I guess that it won't help folks who want to have a note title that's different from the first line of the note all that much, or those who want to start a new note in the note title area. *shrug*

• Like 2

My apologies for my earlier emotional post. I meant not to offend but to raise awareness of what I saw as a step backward in functionality. 

I have edited the original post to remove the shouting. I will endeavor to inform and persuade in the future. 

• Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...

Personally, I ALWAYS start my notes with a title.

Work is all about SPEED and EFFICIENCY, and having have to press “Shift+Tab” to go to title every time I create a note is inefficient and waste of time.

However, there are other camp of people who start with the body text, so the current way should not be changed for them.

Bottomline is that EN should provide options to set personal preference to start the curser at title or the body text.

• Level 5

EN has provided to fill the title with the first line of text from the note with one click to the title field.

If you do not have the function, update the app.

I don't expect any further activities for the foreseeable time. The position in the backlog probably got closed.

If it does not serve your needs, contact support.

I've seen that function. My issue is that a new note used to start in the title field as a separate entity. Going from the title to the note text involved hitting the Tab key. Simple and direct. 

The new approach requires using a mouse or trackpad, thus taking fingers off a keyboard and then returning them to home position. Once that's done you can add text to a note. In my opinion, this may satisfy some who prefer a new option, but I'd like to have the previous functionality restored as an option. 

Granted, this is the smallest of potatoes. But it is a daily irritant to me. 

44 minutes ago, dpotenzi said:

Going from the title to the note text involved hitting the Tab key. Simple and direct. 

The new approach requires using a mouse or trackpad, thus taking fingers off a keyboard and then returning them to home position.

If you had read this thread you would see that shift+tab takes you directly into the title - no mouse or trackpad needed. If there is already taxt in the main part of the note EN will create the title based on this. It creates the title highlighted so you can immediately start typing your own title if you want to or you can simply tab to take you back into the main body of the note.

That solution, shift+tab, does not work so well for me.

If it's a new note, yes, it can use the first line of text as the title. But I either have to erase or use that text in the body of the note. Perhaps I'm idiosyncratic, but I like to put data in the title that I don't want in the text, such as a number string for a date: "2022-10-03" or a smart aleck term that puts the note in perspective. Neither of which is helpful in the note text itself. 

When there already is text, Evernote interprets the keystrokes as a reverse Tab, meaning if it's indented, it outdents the text. 

It's a minor irritation, but still slows me down. 

27 minutes ago, dpotenzi said:

But I either have to erase or use that text in the body of the note.

Because EN highlights the text when it auto creates the title all you need to do is type, which is what you would have done anyway.

28 minutes ago, dpotenzi said:

When there already is text, Evernote interprets the keystrokes as a reverse Tab, meaning if it's indented, it outdents the text. 

True. You need to be at the beginning of the note which is easily achieved with ctrl+Home

I would, of course, be more than happy for EN to provide an option to start in the title area. I'm just trying to demonstrate that in the mean time it is relatively easy, using only the keyboard, to get to the title and change it.

• 5 weeks later...