Tag Suggestions

André

Idea

Tags are very useful, but it's often difficult to find the good ones in a short moment.

Evernote could suggest suitable tags, in particular existing ones, but also new ones, while editing a note. That would improve the retrieval of notes significantly.

• Like 1

6 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

I can see the logic of this suggestion but I'm not sure that the AI needed would be able to choose tags that work with my quirky brain.

For example: I'm looking for a new house. Say I paste a map of an area into a note. Which tags might it guess at?

House, house move, walks, maps, the name of the town in question and dozens more that might be suitable. So the suggested tags would, I fear, be so numerous that they would get in the way if left to the AI to make suggestions. Limited to existing tags might be more successful but I can see from my existing tag list that there are very many that an AI might suggest which would be likely to be entirely irrelevant.

So a clever idea but I'm not sure that it is workable.  But I wish you success with the suggestion just as long as it is something that could be turned off if desired.

Hi agsteele

There are various ways to achieve this. It's possible to compare a note with similar notes (which EN already does in their web search extension) and suggest the tags accordingly from those similar notes. It's also possible to find keywords in the note text, which is also a rather common practice. One might also search for keywords based on the existing tags.

While this might not necessarily be perfect, it would clearly improve and speed up the process of tagging, imho, and provide much benefit.

• Evernote Expert

Please go ahead and submit the suggestion to Evernote through the feedback option in the application.

I'm not saying it isn't worth exploring, just that my guess is that it would be too complex.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, André said:

Tags are very useful, but it's often difficult to find the good ones in a short moment.

With Evernote Legacy on my Mac, I use a script (Applescript) to assist with tag assignment

First level is one or more !Type-******** tags   
This drives further tag assignment;    
for example !Tag-Receipt notes require ?Vendor-****, and !Budget-**** tags   
The script generates suggestion dropdown lists, using the database tag list

• Level 5

Since the new options to filter for nested tags in v10, such „monster“ text string tags are not necessary any more.

By including the superior category into the subtags, the tags are much longe than necessary, and it leads to an explosion of the number of tags when the same sub-tags are combined with different lead tags. Since all v10 clients (including mobile and web) now support to filter WITH or WITHOUT subtags, the tags can be kept short, and nested into the superior categories.

For me this is the superior method.

What still is better in desktop legacy is the tag overview, with a lot of tags showing on a full screen. Tag housekeeping is much easier on this page. Maybe it will be added in v10 one day as well.

• Level 5*
On 4/19/2022 at 3:09 AM, André said:

Evernote could suggest suitable tags, in particular existing ones, but also new ones, while editing a note. That would improve the retrieval of notes significantly.

In my experience if the tags you use aren't a part of how you think they won't help much.  Keep them simple, easy to remember, and as few as possible.  Statement for statements for example. 

Use the power of search.  Before I left EN I had less than 500 tags for 57k notes.  And I could remember most of them circumstantially as they meant what they were, Statement example again.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1