Creating & using templates in version 10

In my first attempt to create a template, I successfully did it in the Evernote legacy version: I created a new note and pasted text.

However, the template doesn't show up in version 10 (Windows desktop)

So I tried to recreate same template using the desktop version 10 of EV. The "create template" is grayed out. 

What am I doing wrong and how to fix this problem?

Thank you

2 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Do you pay for a plan? I think templates is a paid feature.

All you need to do is create a note and then save as template from the three dots menu in the top right. Should work.

Yes I am paying, I have a Personal (previously Premium) subscription.

As I indicated in my original posting, the option to create template is grayed out - not available...

11 hours ago, Reuven said:

So I tried to recreate same template using the desktop version 10 of EV. The "create template" is grayed out. 

There seems to be a bug in template creation where the template option is sometimes grayed out. I have found that if you create a heading, even if you then delete it, the template option appears. The quickest way of creating a heading is with the text shortcut. e.g. typing #<space>a and then deleting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes. Earlier today I created a note, then was able to save it as a template. But when I created another note, the Save as template option was grayed out. I followed Mike P's suggestion, except editing Title did not help, but editing the body of the note activated the Save as template option. Thanks.

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, ElCoyoteSurvives said:

except editing Title did not help, but editing the body of the note activated the Save as template option.

My suggestion was not to edit the title but to create a heading within the note.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/11/2022 at 11:20 AM, oneinsaneride said:

This is happening to me as well. Version 10.38.  I don't even get a grayed out option to Save as a Template. 

image.thumb.png.fdff822c310128cc084e51a91b924e5c.png

Are you on the free plan? Adding templates is only available for paid plans.

51 minutes ago, Jean-Christophe said:

Being a Premium customer, template creation is only available with the old legacy V6 EN desktop app.

Not in my expereince. There is a bug, described above together with the workaround.

• Level 5

For subscribers the option is perfectly available behind the „Note“ menu, or behind the 3 dots. It is just greyed out, because the bug is still not squeezed.

Once you insert a header into the note body, and erase it (or not), the option gets available.

No need at all to revert to this to a legacy client. Furthermore there is a chance that templates created with legacy will reformat when opened in v10, due to several changes in the editor. Unless you believe legacy will be around forever, it is clearly the better option to create the templates in the same client used to create the notes from it.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm on a paid subscription, I did try one of the above methods, the option to sign out (remove data) and sign in back on desktop did work but only briefly. There was a button called "gallery" when i open an empty note, and my saved note template was there. However, as i mentioned, it was only there briefly and then the option completely disappeared, even the "gallery" option is no longer found when creating new notes.

The template save, load function works well on my mobile (Android) and my tablet (Android) but not on the PC client. The option is simply nowhere to be found, to either load custom templates or to save new ones.

Im using Evernote 10.42.7 on my PC (Win10).

• Level 5

There is a remote chance this procedure might help. It will rebuild your local database with a fresh copy from the server. No idea in your case, but maybe it is worth trying. Else there is support, just in case.

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote. Keep the app open while it downloads your notes from the server.
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There is a remote chance this procedure might help. It will rebuild your local database with a fresh copy from the server. No idea in your case, but maybe it is worth trying. Else there is support, just in case.

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote. Keep the app open while it downloads your notes from the server.

Thank you for your response, i did try this as some users did suggest this method. However it only worked briefly.

But everytime i sign out and sign in again, the option appears but greyed out. I did try as per another thread to include # then <space> to create a header and that fixed the greyed out issue. So far the option to save template is working on the PC, but if it repeats again then i will contact support. Thank you! 🙏🏽