Allow resizing to make the window smaller

Mjbrickman

Idea

As discussed here, Evernote seems to have a minimum window size set at about 50% of the screen.

What's strange is, it's 50% whether the note is collapsed or expanded.  So the note itself can be smaller if sidebars are showing, but you can't make it smaller if the sidebars are hidden.  This is a huge problem for taking notes on Zoom calls and the like (something I do everyday).  It doesn't seem like this would be a big change to the software, especially if it's only allowed with sidebars collapsed.  Thanks!

• Like 1

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Mjbrickman said:

It doesn't seem like this would be a big change to the software

It's an app that's available to 200M+ customers 365/24/7.  There's no such thing as a 'small' change.

Have you tried raising this with Support?  If you do,  please confirm Device/ OS version/ EN version as part of the process.

Still not sorted.  MacBook M1 OS 12.6.1

Evernote window takes up half of the screen - reduce it any further and the sidebar disappears.  Even without the sidebar the window still takes up 30% of the screen even though just containing a narrow list column.

• Level 5

Speaks for a rather small screen …

The app window needs a minimum space to show a basic set of UI options. You can collapse the side panel to symbols, which may help.

If this still doesn’t solve the problem for you, Apple has created the possibility to run several virtual desktops in parallel. Combine EN with the apps you need for the same use case, and create other desktops for other uses.

Or upgrade to Ventura, and use stage manager.

This is not quite true. Try resizing the window to 50% with the side bar minimized and then showing the side bar. The note itself can be smaller and the window should be able to accommodate this as long as the side bar is minimized. 

• Level 5

On my 17" laptop screen, I can shrink the Evernote window to take up less than 25% of the screen. With the note maximized (sidebar hidden) and text zoomed out, I can see a fair amount of text. I often take notes while on Zoom, with the Zoom window itself reduced.

image.thumb.png.74194be011e22aa3e96be4f1d60d39c6.png

• Like 1
On 12/17/2022 at 4:16 AM, stannoo said:

Evernote window takes up half of the screen - reduce it any further and the sidebar disappears.  Even without the sidebar the window still takes up 30% of the screen even though just containing a narrow list column.

Can you pop the note out into its own window and use that? You can make it take up less space that way.

I agree. The minimum window size is too small. I use the window to make notes during interviews and now I have to shrink the interview window too much in order to accommodate the Evernote window. 

• Level 5
1 hour ago, HassWS said:

I agree. The minimum window size is too small. I use ….

The thread is about the window being too large, not to small.

What you can do is open any note in its own window. This can be sized larger or smaller, although it has a minimum size as well.

Even smaller is the quick note of the EN helper, which can be reached through the task / menu bar icon. You can convert anything typed into it into a note with a click of the mouse.