Give possibility on new note to keep focus on title insead note text

Nicola B.

Idea

Hi, I see that when new note are created the focus automatically go to note text (not in title).

Is possible to add an option for all new note to select if on new note focus is on Title or on note text?

Because I know that you have decide this because are title field lenght is limited but for some people (like me 🙂 ) will be more productive to start a new note directly into title.

Thanks

• Like 8

15 replies to this idea

Agreed. I'm using EN in my adoption of the 'Getting Things Done' methodology such that all notes in a notebook become a list (instead of a bulleted or EN task list on a single note) when viewing from the notebook level but this places priority on the title over the note body, hence the desire to focus there immediately. The absolute ultimate for my use case would be the option to indicate where the focus goes or perhaps presume title focus when/if EN ever lets me create new notes automatically based off a selected template (per notebook f.e.) 

The GTD method advocates frictionless mediums for quickly capturing thoughts. More clicks to capture however encourages subconscious resistance to the process and fails to allow the software to replace a physical medium such as a sticky note; let's not go backwards please 😬

Same here, I would start with the note title, not the text. It always needs an extra click to go back to the title.

I can live with it, but it's an extra annoyance each time I create a new note.

• Level 5

If anybody thinks „all“ users are in favor of starting with a title, just remember this: Who is happy to start right in the note will not post it here, because this is what the software actually does.

Seeing we have less than one post per month in this thread, I would not call the issue urgent or pressing.

I can't argue with you if it is pressing or not. I take the effort to come to this forum and tell if something bothers me, and then Evernote either listens to me/us or not. I am not all users, and I never claimed that this issue is for all users.

I consider myself a power user though, and look for a note taking app that can be part of my second brain workflow of capturing notes.

I use Evernote since 2012. But if for most of my bug reports/feature requests the response is that the problem is with me, that I want something, I feel less and less encouraged to keep on using it, even less bother to report my annoyances.

I don't think my yearly subscription matters at all among the many users, and there are literally hundreds of note taking apps anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 15/2/2022 at 13:27, sanket.sonavane dijo:

I also find this annoying that new note focus shifts to the note area rather than the title. I always prefer or type the title first. Atleast give a setting to shift focus to title or note section.

Well. I agree, If I create a new note, it will automatically go to "no title" (I don't know if that is the title in english). That's a problem because when you are quickly scanning through your notes, you would lose time going into each not to know what it is about

I to would love to see this work this way...  it was the reason I came to the forum today..(even if PinkElephant thinks the forum has no other purpose than to see how many posts he/she can tally up)

While not a big thing, it is good user experience to avoid having to make extra clicks to do something... of course that assumes people want to give their notes a title first, and then start writing.  I am old-school, and that seems normal, but maybe those more in-tune with the times feel that a title is an after-thought...

...and I have suggested via feedback more than once...

• Level 5

The communication via feedback has its own rules:

• There will be no answers
  • The feedback basically goes into a review process. It will be checked with existing development plan, against known bugs and concerning technical aspects like changes necessary. The result will be a revised backlog list of features that will make it to the devs attention one day. As features are released, the backlog moves ahead.

This means there may be the little thing changed exactly as one user had been feeding it into feedback a while ago. But maybe a thousand other users have done the same. But the main changes will be a synthesis of a lot of feedback posts, not precisely mimicking any single one.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:25 PM, Nicola B. said:

Hi, I see that when new note are created the focus automatically go to note text (not in title).

Is possible to add an option for all new note to select if on new note focus is on Title or on note text?

Because I know that you have decide this because are title field lenght is limited but for some people (like me 🙂 ) will be more productive to start a new note directly into title.

Thanks

Did you submit a Support Ticket? If not, please do. I did.

Apparently, writing in the forum doesn't trigger development actions - it's only users helping each other.

You see the ways to submit a support request here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/112173-how-to-submit-a-ticket-with-support/

Agreed for moral support.

It's kimd of like grabbing a book on the bookshelf and discovering one is on the first page and having to go back to see the name of the book.

What world starts on page 2?