Request: Hide private notes...

I have been using Evernote for a little over a year and I am very satisfied. In the meantime, the programme has become part of my daily workflow. 

What bothers me absolutely:
I want to hide my private notes. So that they are not visible under "all notes" or when I search for certain notes during a presentation. 
Unfortunately, this does not work!
What can I do and will there be an update at some point?
Encryption doesn't work because I can only hide plain text with it. Unfortunately, I cannot hide images, attachments, etc.

Can I hope that such a function will be built in? Who has a tip?
Thank you very much!

• Level 5*
On 9/24/2021 at 7:03 AM, neilsneils said:

I want to hide my private notes. So that they are not visible under "all notes" or when I search for certain notes during a presentation. 

Hi.  If you wish to keep your work and personal notes apart,  you could simply create a separate account for your presentation that either contains only that presentation (or presentations in general) and while a presentation is running on a separate screen,  you could open your 'other' account containing research / personal notes and general information on a screen to which only you have access.  By sharing a notebook from the presentation account to the personal account you'll be able to update presentations and 'send' yourself additional notes if necessary.

• Level 5

Depending on the devices you use for the presentation, there may be an option to freeze the presentation window while you search for something on your computer.

This will prevent anybody to see any content apart from what you want to show.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the answer.

Working with two accounts is a option, but also less flexible and intuitive. 
Why is there no possibility to hide a notebook or individual notes? I'm thinking, for example, of images / scans of tax documents. 
These are often displayed in a search because they contain the words you are looking for. 
This is unfortunate and should definitely be considered. 

Thanks for the good support!

Thank you for the answer.

Working with two accounts is an option, but also less flexible and intuitive. 
Why is there no possibility to hide a notebook or individual notes? I'm thinking, for example, of images / scans of tax documents. 
These are often displayed in a search because they contain the words you are looking for. 
This is unfortunate and should definitely be considered. 

Thanks for the good support!

Addendum
With search filters, I could probably exclude certain folders. Right?
However, the problem remains that currently edited notes that I want to keep private are displayed in the note list next to the notebooks list. I would like to prevent this. Is this possible?

18 minutes ago, neilsneils said:

Addendum
With search filters, I could probably exclude certain folders. Right?
However, the problem remains that currently edited notes that I want to keep private are displayed in the note list next to the notebooks list. I would like to prevent this. Is this possible?

"Notes" in the sidebar used to be called "All notes" which was far more descriptive. Notes dispalys all notes and there is nothing you can do about that. It can't be removed from the sidebar. You could change to sorting by created date rather then edited date and then manually change the created date of sensitive documents to a long way in the past (or future) so that they always appear at the bottom of the list. 

You could also tag notes with a "private" tag or put them in a notebook named private. You can exclude these from a search using

-tag:private

OR

-notebook:private

You could save that as a search, add it to shortcuts and always remember to use that rather than notes.

Another thought. Things like scans of tax documents could be saved as pdfs and attached to the note. Choose the "view as attachment" option rathen than one of the inline options.

• Level 5

In the current environment to protect attachments the simplest way is to use the encryption tools available for the file type. PDF for example can be password protected. It just makes them less util, no OCR, no search. But safe …

“Security by Obscurity“ is not a valid concept any longer, I would no go down this trail. It is like the squirrels: The trick is not to hide the nuts in autumn, the trick is to find them again in winter.

41 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

“Security by Obscurity“ is not a valid concept any longer, I would no go down this trail.

I agree but it does depend on the reason for his concern. His use case seems to be very much about other people seeing his screen during a presentation rather than serious concerns about somebody hacking his account and accessing data.

• Level 5

Simple answer (mentioned already above): 2 accounts. The information can all be in one of them.

The second one is empty, and receives shared notebooks with the „public“ information.

Thus when using the account, you only work on the main account. Whenever you add or change something in one of the shared notebooks, the „presentation“ account updates automatically.

The rest is private.