Export all notebooks at once

makuat

Idea

I am curious how to export all my notebooks at once (e.g. currently I have 93 notebooks). So to execute export on every notebook, as it would be possible already, is not an option for backup purposes...

So I would strongly recommend to implement such functionality and it should be already available in Evernote...

• Like 4

26 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Somebody needs to test the system limits.

Fortunately they raised the notebook limit from 250 to 1,000 so I'm about 50% for notes (50,000 out of 100,000) and 30% for notebooks (300/1000).  Not even close...🧐

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

Use the legacy client if you want to export more at once.

Be aware that the ENEX export does not hold the information, in which notebook a note is saved.

This is the reason why exporting by notebook is better. Use a name per ENEX file that reminds you of the notebook.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, makuat said:

I am curious how to export all my notebooks at once (e.g. currently I have 93 notebooks). So to execute export on every notebook, as it would be possible already, is not an option for backup purposes...

So I would strongly recommend to implement such functionality and it should be already available in Evernote...

As per @PinkElephant, I use the Evernote Legacy product to backup my data   
Separate exports for each notebook are necessary to preserve notebook assignment

This can be automated using third party Backupery   
My automation is via applescript on my Mac

>>currently I have 93 notebooks

I basically have a single notebook   
I use tags for organization (preserved in the backup)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, gazumped said:

...Another Backupery user here.  I went the opposite way on notebooks and have around 300 - I get a full (Legacy) backup in about 2 hours.

So, ~300 files per backup?

• Level 5*

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Yup.  I have a 10TB external drive...  

Which would be the same if you had 1 backup file?  😉  Sorry I'm in a spicy mood for some reason today.

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*

True - the total size is (presumably) just the same - just the administration of setting up 300 folders to hold the sequential dated backups for each notebook,  and the assignment of a backup to each notebook every day...  (yawn)... somehow I feel an urgent need to lie down somewhere...

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
48 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

And you have another 10TB drive, for the backup of the backup ? 

We're getting well off-topic here,  but just to end this mini-saga...  My database backup is about 30GB all told.  Evernote gets a daily run with a 7-day history,  so 210GB total - and I get a weekly system backup including those folders to a different external drive so (in theory) I have a continuing daily history going back for 3 months or so.  In honesty I doubt I'd find a backup more than a week or so old...  but it makes me happy that I have the possibility!  Plus it's all automatic - it would be more hassle to stop doing this and set up a different system. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Evernote gets a daily run with a 7-day history,  so 210GB total

My daily backup is incremental; only changed notes (filtered by modification date)  
- this keeps the storage relatively small   
I do a weekly full backup (20GB), but keep only one version   
I also have Mac Time Machine maintaining it's own set of backups

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

We're getting well off-topic here,  but just to end this mini-saga...  My database backup is about 30GB all told.  Evernote gets a daily run with a 7-day history,  so 210GB total - and I get a weekly system backup including those folders to a different external drive so (in theory) I have a continuing daily history going back for 3 months or so.  In honesty I doubt I'd find a backup more than a week or so old...  but it makes me happy that I have the possibility!  Plus it's all automatic - it would be more hassle to stop doing this and set up a different system. 

Ditto.  I have a 2TB SSD USB (got some initials here) and keep 7 daily backups of 8 notebooks, though 2 are typically empty (INBOX and Scans).   The Backupery folder is 301 GB for all 7 days.  Once a week I 7zip encrypted the 2 local notebooks to OneDrive.  Like Gaz I haven't used the backups that much but good to know I have them just in case.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I feel inadequate.  I backup the.exb on my work system weekly and call it a day.  On the home MAC it is Time Machine only.

To @gazumped's point, if wasn't automated it might not get done...  😎

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Let me see: Next Sunday, rain 80%, temperature 10 degrees down, northern wind - time to schedule a backup, it seems.

It is all a question of the motivation.

Personally I run a copy of the legacy database on our Windows PC, using Acronis. On the Mac it is TimeMachine as well. Both are filed on my NAS, which backups itself to another NAS.

Sometimes I think I could skip the NAS&NAS, run it by hand and save time on it - given how many rainy Sundays I have sunk into setting up and maintaining my network.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, gazumped said:

Forgive me cuz I'm a bit slow (what do you expect form an Aussie that lives on a boat in the middle of the ocean?) If you wouldn't mind, could you please, in exact and simple terms, explain the steps I need to go through to export ALL of my notebooks with the notes inside them? I see others talking about using the 'legacy client' and that is like speaking ancient Greek to me because I have no idea what that is. Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ExportEvernote said:

I see others talking about using the 'legacy client' and that is like speaking ancient Greek to me because I have no idea what that is. Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated!

Evernote has two product lines, accessing the same database   

1. Legacy can be downloaded at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote   (Windows/Mac)
  2. v10 is the new product, designed to eventually replace the Legacy product   
    It can be downloaded at www.evernote.com/download

>explain the steps I need to go through to exportALL of my notebooks with the notes inside them

Using the Legacy product, I select the notes to export > right click > export

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The only way to do it is using the legacy client, not v10.

If you do it, you get one big ENEX file containing all of your notes. But they are not any longer inside of their respective notebooks. It is just one big heap of notes, all together in one file.

There is a 3rd party company called Backuppery, who offers a one-click backup solution. AFAIK they preserve the notebook structure. When I last checked, just the comfortable backup did cost more than my (then) Premium subscription. I don't use this service, but maybe @gazumped can tell you more.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote has two product lines, accessing the same database   

1. Legacy can be downloaded at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote   (Windows/Mac)
  2. v10 is the new product, designed to eventually replace the Legacy product   
    It can be downloaded at www.evernote.com/download

>explain the steps I need to go through to exportALL of my notebooks with the notes inside them

Using the Legacy product, I select the notes to export > right click > export

MUCH thanks for the assist here. It's a time consuming process that will prompt me to audit my own notes and reduce them as much as I can so I suppose that's a good thing. Evernote really should have a more customer friendly way of exporting our own data for safekeeping. Thanks again for the help.

20 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The only way to do it is using the legacy client, not v10.

If you do it, you get one big ENEX file containing all of your notes. But they are not any longer inside of their respective notebooks. It is just one big heap of notes, all together in one file.

There is a 3rd party company called Backuppery, who offers a one-click backup solution. AFAIK they preserve the notebook structure. When I last checked, just the comfortable backup did cost more than my (then) Premium subscription. I don't use this service, but maybe @gazumped can tell you more.

Thanks for the tips! Your fast help is appreciated. Sorry for the simple question. I hate to bug others with my lack of knowledge but that's what forums are for right? Thanks again. I'll look into this Backuppery thing you mentioned.