Evernote for Android version 10.11 release notes

• Level 5

Hi All,

Early access to Tasks has started rolling out and will be available to you over the coming weeks. 

Tasks in Evernote help you stay on top of it all by making your notes more actionable and giving your to-dos the context you need. 

Notes and tasks make each other more useful:

• Add tasks directly to your notes to keep the things you need to do with the information you need to get them done.
  • Streamline your workflow—when notes and tasks live together, there’s no need to keep switching between your notes and a dedicated task manager. 
  • Avoid information overload by capturing the details, actions, and decisions you need in one convenient place. 

Take control of your day:

• See the right task, at the right time. Unlike standard checklists, you can set due dates and reminders on each of your tasks. 
  • Get alerts for tasks even when you’re not in Evernote, so important action items never fall through the cracks.
  • Quickly focus on what matters most by flagging important tasks. 

Master your priorities:

• Get a summarized view of everything you need to do, or immerse yourself in the context of what you need to do now. 
  • Work your way—sort tasks by note, due date, or flagged status and use filters to focus on what you need in the moment.  
  • Changes to your tasks update instantly across every view and on all your devices. 

Get early access to Tasks and start each day confident that you have a clear path to tackling everything on your plate. 

If you have feedback on Tasks, please share it with us here.

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Evernote Expert

It generally takes a number of days for the Android update to roll out to those with the existing v10 app. I got it on my device overnight which is rather quicker than usual. I normally don't give it much attention for a week after release. This delay is in the Google Play Store managing the release.

5 hours ago, agsteele said:

This delay is in the Google Play Store managing the release.

Just a quick clarification - it's actually the app owner (Evernote) who controls how quickly app updates are rolled out. See this support article for some of the options available on Google Play:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/6346149/release-app-updates-with-staged-rollouts?hl=en#zippy=

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

Thanks for this... I had understood that whilst the app owner says what they want, Google Play then implements the process according to its algorithm. I'm not sure that the release is staged other than restricted to Android 10 and 11 users but happy to receive the additional info.

4 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Thanks for this... I had understood that whilst the app owner says what they want, Google Play then implements the process according to its algorithm. I'm not sure that the release is staged other than restricted to Android 10 and 11 users but happy to receive the additional info.

The only thing Google Play chooses according to its own algorithm is who to offer the update to within the particular stage. For example, if the app developer chooses to roll out to 10% of eligible devices (in this case Android 10 devices or later), then the Play store will randomly select which 10% receive it. If the developer then chooses to increase to 25% of eligible devices, the update will be offered to an additional 15% of eligible devices, and so on until the rollout reaches 100%.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Hey, it is always the same: The AppStored / PlayStored versions roll out a bit later. This time iOS moved with force, I got the release at the same time when it was announced in the forum. Next time it will probably be the PlayStore that makes it. 

So don’t worry, be happy 😃 

• Thanks 1

Just confirmed that v10.11 still has the Gboard bug which can result in words getting deleted. This is a bug that not only has existed since before v10 rolled out publicly (in the pre-release beta), but was also present in the legacy version of Evernote for Android. Somehow, despite rebuilding the app (mostly?) from scratch, they reintroduced an old bug and still haven't fixed it.

On the private Android forums, it was confirmed by @Hector C. on December 4th, 2020: "Hey everyone. I wanted to let you know that I also was able to repro the issue and have filed it with our developers. Not sure why this was carried over from previous versions but they have added it to a larger list of keyboard issues that they are prioritizing."

Six months later and still no fix. This is a feature that I use with "muscle memory" all the time and it's insanely frustrating. There was extensive discussion in the private beta forum which isn't viewable by everyone, so I've created a new post in the Android issues forum to track it:

• Sad 1

I think you have to open the support ticket inside the app and clearly tell them what is wrong. I did this, they contacted me again in a few days. They had some questions, so I also sent them pictures and videos and more detailed description of the issue. They said my problem was registered and forwarded to the engineering team. After some time they newer confirmed problem as solved but... In next release that issue was fixed. The issue was this:

So I don't think it was a coincidence. I think opening support ticket and taking my time to clearly tell them what is wrong lead to solving that particular issue in EN v10 text editor regarding Gboard keyboard. As you know v10 text editor has MUCH more issues with Gboard, but only this particular issue was fixed.

I do not see any bug fixes in the release notes at all... it is so disappointing to see, that they still keep adding features rapidly but do not get the frame for it right beforehand...since EN10 we live with a constant beta product. Obviously no priority on product quality.

On 6/7/2021 at 7:22 AM, matej1990 said:

I think you have to open the support ticket inside the app and clearly tell them what is wrong. I did this, they contacted me again in a few days. They had some questions, so I also sent them pictures and videos and more detailed description of the issue. They said my problem was registered and forwarded to the engineering team. After some time they newer confirmed problem as solved but... In next release that issue was fixed. The issue was this:

So I don't think it was a coincidence. I think opening support ticket and taking my time to clearly tell them what is wrong lead to solving that particular issue in EN v10 text editor regarding Gboard keyboard. As you know v10 text editor has MUCH more issues with Gboard, but only this particular issue was fixed.

I think it's a good idea in general to provide clear and reproducible feedback and submitting from the app may help as it may send device logs. In my case, however, an Evernote staff person already confirmed they have reproduced the issue and filed it with engineering for prioritization back in December. It just seems to be very low priority for some reason, which is why I'm trying to get it a bit more visibility.

As a side note, on my phone as of v10.11 (1114563) the "space before word jumps over the word" bug that you reference above is back! 🤦‍♂️ Are you also seeing it once again?

On 6/6/2021 at 11:08 AM, Paul A. said:

Just confirmed that v10.11 still has the Gboard bug which can result in words getting deleted. This is a bug that not only has existed since before v10 rolled out publicly (in the pre-release beta), but was also present in the legacy version of Evernote for Android. Somehow, despite rebuilding the app (mostly?) from scratch, they reintroduced an old bug and still haven't fixed it.

On the private Android forums, it was confirmed by @Hector C. on December 4th, 2020: "Hey everyone. I wanted to let you know that I also was able to repro the issue and have filed it with our developers. Not sure why this was carried over from previous versions but they have added it to a larger list of keyboard issues that they are prioritizing."

Six months later and still no fix. This is a feature that I use with "muscle memory" all the time and it's insanely frustrating. There was extensive discussion in the private beta forum which isn't viewable by everyone, so I've created a new post in the Android issues forum to track it:

Giminy! I didn't even know that feature existed. That's kind of cool!

But it's a bummer it acts as a bug to Evernote. 😞

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Paul A. said:

As a side note, on my phone as of v10.11 (1114563) the "space before word jumps over the word" bug that you reference above is back! 🤦‍♂️ Are you also seeing it once again?

I jumped out of beta on android so I'm also at the moment using v10.11 (1114563). I can reproduce this bug. :(  Yesterday I was having slightly older version and I couldn't reproduce this same bug.

So I guess it was an coincidence after all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Evernote is at the moment easily THE worst app on my phone. Full of text editor bugs! Gesture navigation inside the app is also driving me nuts! It's the only app with gesture issues. It's funny and sad at the same time. Time to do a downgrade to v8. I guess next step is canceling my premium subscription.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1. the notes on Android are still not downloaded to the phone, even though it says so in the settings. So if I don't have internet connection, I cannot view notes from 6 months ago, cause it just says "Note unavailable"

2. fast scrolling still hasn't been reintroduced. So if I want to see something 500 notes earlier, I have to scroll like a maniac, to get to that note.

I have already signaled these through a ticket months ago, but nothing has changed. Please give an ETA for these. Cause it's frustrating to pay monthly for something that isn't working as it is supposed to.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Akos_M said:

1. the notes on Android are still not downloaded to the phone, even though it says so in the settings. So if I don't have internet connection, I cannot view notes from 6 months ago, cause it just says "Note unavailable"

Could this be because you haven't set that note or notebook to be available offline? This was a setting in the previous version of Evernote and remains so in v10? My first check would be that this setting is set for offline access. I think, if my memory serves me right, that you have to do this by notebook - there is no setting for the whole of your account to be available offline. This is a setting to respect your data package and device storage.

1 hour ago, Akos_M said:

2. fast scrolling still hasn't been reintroduced. So if I want to see something 500 notes earlier, I have to scroll like a maniac, to get to that note.

I think that search is probably the way to go...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, agsteele said:

Could this be because you haven't set that note or notebook to be available offline? This was a setting in the previous version of Evernote and remains so in v10? My first check would be that this setting is set for offline access. I think, if my memory serves me right, that you have to do this by notebook - there is no setting for the whole of your account to be available offline. This is a setting to respect your data package and device storage.

I think that search is probably the way to go...

My one and only notebook is set to be available offline by being downloaded, to no avail.

I don't think it's that hard for the devs to reimplement a feature so that you can drag and hold the scrollbar, for faster navigation. Searching doesn't help in this case.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just installed the Beta Calendar version for Android, but it's not recognizing that I have a paid account so Evernote asks me to upgrade when trying to test tasks with Calendar, etc (e.g. I can't set an alert on a task or view list of tasks).

Em 05/06/2021 at 15:35, Udis disse:

Installed version 10.11 on Iphone iOS 14.5.1 and Evernote goes in an endless loop after trying to access any note. Please help.

Thanks 

It's happening here also. How can I downgrade?

On 6/23/2021 at 9:52 AM, TTress said:

Just installed the Beta Calendar version for Android, but it's not recognizing that I have a paid account so Evernote asks me to upgrade when trying to test tasks with Calendar, etc (e.g. I can't set an alert on a task or view list of tasks).

(Fixed with the last update. Thank you.)

• Shane D. unfeatured and unpinned this topic