Restore local “file://” links

Chris_NL

Idea

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Staying Single stops when Mr./Ms. right comes along, staying a communist stops at 5.000$ and staying an atheist when the wings of the plane start shaking.

It all depends on the perspective, if things are changing, or yourself.

So good to be coached on how to post usefully.

• Thanks 1
On 8/30/2021 at 8:33 AM, Chris_NL said:

Hi everyone,

I think they just fixed it:

I tested it on my home PC and it works! Can anyone else confirm that it works with the 10.20 version before I mark this topic as solved?

"Expanded link support in the editor - web addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses are auto-converted to links. Links will open local files and in default apps (ex: Zoom). Link detection improvement (e.g. recognize twitch.tv and google.com.vn as web URL domains w/o needing https://)"

Hello, old links (from v6) and new links (v10.20) with NON-ENGLISH characters does not work. Old links and new links with english characters-only work well.

I was very upset when the ability to link notes to local files was removed. (Do you really want all your documents online?) Worse that that, the new version of Evernote stripped all such links from existing notes without warning. This does not appear to be an accident or thoughtless omission -- observe Evernote's unwillingness to restore this feature.

I believe there are financial reasons that can explain this decision. Forcing all users to have all content online puts the company in a better position to charge high-volume users more, which I think is entirely justifiable. It also makes it harder for customers to leave Evernote, a consideration that influences the policies of many companies in many industries. Companies with good products certainly ought to prosper. However, to strip off all such links without warning (or even a mention in the release notes) is unbecoming a company entrusted with our personal data.

I'm still putting off going through all those once-linked files to see what they are, renaming them, and sorting them into meaningful folders. You too? 

Just to clarify:

1. From the above it sounds like many other things remain broken, and given how broken "undo" was for many years (and the 10+ year "icon" issue) I think any lack of fixes is a lack of will or incompetence. Just add new shiny stuff (doesn't matter if that works, just needs to glitter).
  2. Files obviously don't end up in the cloud for file urls, but it makes it very handy and easy to document products and where their settings and other features are LOCALLY ON A COMPUTER (click and Windows Explorer or notepad opens).
  3. All other protocols apart from "http(s)" that I had tried remained broken not just "file"...
5 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

@Terry E @dbareis - You guys are behind the times...

Thanks, I will try the new version, I've been using the classic version and occasionally retrying the new one.  If it was mentioned in this thread then I missed it 🙂

@Boot17And just to clarify, I won't have to recreate the hundreds or thousands of such links for them to work?

These local links aren't working for me.  I don't know what to do. I keep getting the message... "The application "Evernote" does not have permission to open "My Fiile.mp3"

I've tried different files and folders and I always get the same message. 

I'm using the same method that @Boot17laid out two posts above

Here's an example of one of my links.  I'm making sure I add the file:///

file:///Users/jonblanck/Dropbox/Music/Play Alongs Home/Minor Pentatonic : Blues Scale - Med Swing - Play Alongs/Blues - Dom7 and Minor/A Minor Blues - Better Backing Tracks.mp3

Do I have to allow permissions somehow?  I tried setting a folder to Read and Write for Everyone.  That didn't work.   

I went to Security & Privacy and clicked the lock, made sure evernote was checked...   Didn't work

Can anybody shed some light on this for me please?  

- Jon 

image.png.a01157f404783b319609c1474e006b0b.png

17 minutes ago, JonBlanck said:

These local links aren't working for me.  I don't know what to do. I keep getting the message... "The application "Evernote" does not have permission to open "My Fiile.mp3"

Did you really mean to spell it wrong?  Check file permissions. Try drag and drop from explorer, can't remember if that works, just typing file path and name without protocol works.

Well, we have finally reached the date that they pull the plug on Evernote Legacy, with still no solution to the local file/folder link problem?  My links from legacy are still being converted to paths with / characters converted to %5C which fail in Evernote 10.  For example file:///S:/Admin/Reference is converted to file:///S:/%5CAdmin%5CReference.

I am just confirming that there is still no solution to this other than manually editing all links?

Thanks!

On 3/25/2024 at 5:25 PM, Steve M in San Diego said:

Well, we have finally reached the date that they pull the plug on Evernote Legacy, with still no solution to the local file/folder link problem?  My links from legacy are still being converted to paths with / characters converted to %5C which fail in Evernote 10.  For example file:///S:/Admin/Reference is converted to file:///S:/%5CAdmin%5CReference.

I am just confirming that there is still no solution to this other than manually editing all links?

Thanks!

I have no problems linking to files on my filesystem. Works a treat 🙂 I suspect you're using a different link algorithm.

Can you list the steps you have treid to take?

I have to state that my computer is a mac, but I'd be surprised if there was a different method on PC

pete

Hi Pete,

I didn't take any steps per se.  I just clicked the same links that worked fine in Legacy, and find that they no longer work in 10.  Upon exploration, I found that Evernote seems to have translated the "/" characters to "%5c%" which cause the link to fail.  If I manually change them back to / they work again, but we have thousands of file links, so that does not strike me a viable way to proceed.

All our machines are on Windows 10.

On 3/26/2024 at 9:31 PM, Steve M in San Diego said:

Hi Pete,

I didn't take any steps per se.  I just clicked the same links that worked fine in Legacy, and find that they no longer work in 10.  Upon exploration, I found that Evernote seems to have translated the "/" characters to "%5c%" which cause the link to fail.  If I manually change them back to / they work again, but we have thousands of file links, so that does not strike me a viable way to proceed.

All our machines are on Windows 10.

Then you muyst seek help from those who use Windows 10.

I've just copied a test file filepath from my documents folder and pasted it in Evernote 'File' menu and it looks like this:( and it works)

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 19.26.38.png

Hi Pete,

I am new to the forum but thought there were Windows 10 users here?

Regarding creating links, I had tried to make it clear that I can create new links and fix old links by manually editing them.  My problem is with all the existing links from Legacy that broke when translated to Evernote 10.  What I am looking for is way to fix them all at once with a macro or command so I don't have to invest the time into fixing the hundreds or likely thousands of links manually.

Thanks!

16 hours ago, Steve M in San Diego said:

Hi Pete,

I am new to the forum but thought there were Windows 10 users here?

Regarding creating links, I had tried to make it clear that I can create new links and fix old links by manually editing them.  My problem is with all the existing links from Legacy that broke when translated to Evernote 10.  What I am looking for is way to fix them all at once with a macro or command so I don't have to invest the time into fixing the hundreds or likely thousands of links manually.

Thanks!

I hear you, sorry, all that happened to me but last year, and I've forgotten how I did it. I think I simply upgraded to the latest version. It sounds like that may not help you as you are already on the latest versions... I think?

I am an infrequent visitor here, count me as a nearly-newbie 🙂

pete

Pete,

No worries! 

There were a lot of similar posts in 2020 when 10 was released, but I had hoped that in four years Evernote or someone else would have found a solution.  It seems to me the type of thing that an intern could solve in 1/2 hour, but clearly it was not a priority in the middle of the mutiny.  I guess I will just train my staff on how to fix them, and we will fix them as we encounter them.  Then I won't have to assign one of my interns to spend a couple of tedious days doing nothing else!

Someone more expert than I am will likely stop by.  Meanwhile, while you're waiting... 

• since you refer to "staff," are you on Teams?  There are very few Teams users who come by here, so that could be a challenge.
  • Also, it's always helpful for knowledgeable folks here who might be able to help to know what version of operating system you're on and what version of Evernote - the actual version number, not just "I'm on the latest version."   
  • Are you seeing the same thing on the web client?  The web client gives you what is essentially a direct line to what is stored on Evernote's server.  If the web version is correct, the problem is likely with the client or file sync. If the web version is wrong, you will likely need support.
  • Finally, I vaguely remember a post or two where signing in and out helped with a problem like this.  Note that signing out is different from just quitting, so make sure you are actually signing out.

Vinnie

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your response.  In answer to your questions: No, we are not on Teams; I am using 10.81.4-win-ddl-public (20240320152323), Editor: v177.9.4, Service: v1.97.1; and the problem does occur on the web client too.  As stated above, it seems to be that Evernote replaced the "/" characters with "%5c%" when it translated the legacy database to version 10.

If you log onto your account through the website using a browser, www.evernote.com, do you still see the problem?  That's what I mean by the web client.

Vinnie

Okay, thanks for the clarification.  Let's see if you hear from others, but I think you likely need support.  I haven't seen a flurry of reports from others about this, which is what I would expect if there were a widespread issue with converting Legacy to v10.

Maybe clever use of a text expander program or "find and replace" could help you manually make the edits if that becomes necessary?

Vinnie