Evernote for iOS version 10.3 Release notes

• Level 5

Version 10.3 of Evernote for iOS is now available via the App Store.

Fixed:

- Pasting images would result in duplicate images
- When using search filters in dark mode the screen would sometimes flash to light mode
- Notes would sometimes save in default notebook instead of the selected notebook
- Offline notebooks would occasionally get stuck during the download process
- Edits sometimes getting lost when quickly switching between notes
- Performance improvements for the left sidebar
- Users now receive email notifications immediately when a note is shared with them

Coming Soon:

- Table editing
- Apple Watch support
- Search in PDF files
- iOS Widget

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to Evernote for iOS version 10.3 Release notes
  • Level 5*

Offline notebooks still have an issue of sorts. 

I have an offline notebook which contains only notes I want to be sure and have available if I should be someplace without a connection.  There are 7 notes in the notebook the largest two are 1.6MB and 1.1 MB, the other five are less than 50KB.  So not very big.  My WiFi connection is strong.

This notebook has sat at what looks like 80 or 90 per cent since the beginning.  This release in and of itself did not fix it.  I installed and waited five minutes, no change.  To see if I could force the issue I added a temp tag to the 7 notes on my desktop and synced all around.  Now all notes show as downloaded.

Further test added a 25MB note to the notebook.  It appeared as downloaded almost immediately.  Good sign.  (EDIT: Hang on.  The notebook shows as download complete but the PDF in the note was not downloaded.  I had to select it to get the PDF downloaded.  Doesn't sound like offline to me.  Is this how it is supposed to work?)

Also on the plus side the app seemed to load much more quickly.  Now if the random adding of notes is gone as well we may be getting closer to a usable version.  Still have the old version on my iPad.

-----------------------------------

One irritation point.  In the old version to get to a notebook in a stack

1. you press Notebooks from the left side of the sidebar
  2. then press the stack from the left side of the screen
  3. then press a notebook. 

In the new version

1. you press Notebooks from the left side of the sidebar
  2. then you have to select the stack by pressing a down arrow on the right of the screen as opposed to pressing the stack (a persnickety to get at down arrow at that)
  3. then press a notebook
  4. If you press the stack from the left of the screen you get a panel which is out of place and of not much use for the mission at hand (below)

Makes no sense to me.  Why not select the stack from the left as before? 

While I'm at it what's the lag time on the deleted and moved acknowledgement messages.  It could be cut in half.  They are buzz kills if you are trying to get something done as I just was.  :)  Thanks.

sharedImage.thumb.png.6a7254f569e19286d6d15bd4f5aff778.png

Edited by CalS
EDIT: Error relative to complete download.
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Coming Soon:

- Table editing
- Apple Watch support
- Search in PDF files
- iOS Widget

These has been mentioned since v10.2. They say coming soon but we may end up waiting for at least half a year, so in v10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7... we may see the same coming soon statement. Such a big liar to customers.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@CalS Regarding the offline notebooks, I decided to go „all in“. If it is solved, it needs to be working now, right ? Before 10.3 I needed to download notebook by notebook, because selecting „all“ notebooks stalled the process completely.

Positive feedback:

The „download all notebooks“ option now works, it picks one notebook after the other (in no sequence I could make out, seemed random), and downloads it. Plus it downloads pretty fast. I put my iPad Pro to „autoscreen off“, screen brightness lowest, plugged it into a charger and let it run with EN as active app. It synced 16GB of data in less than 24hrs.

Today I tested in flight mode. First EN did start in flight mode, so no need to login before going offline, at least on iOS. Then all my content was there and available: pdf, pictures, web clips etc. Search did find it as well (have not made a in depth compare, but search seems to work).

Open on my test plan is whether it will restart download when new notes are added, or existing ones are changed. My iPhone is still loading (there just a selection), will test after this is through.

Leaving the updating untested for now, in total it is a thumbs up for offline content on iOS with 10.3 for me.

Update:

Just tested the automatic update, both for new content and for a modified note. Worked perfectly, at least from the iPhone as source and the iPad as receiving client. The notebook switched itself to „loading“ status (green bar), loaded the notes and returned to „downloaded“ shortly after. Notes with content are there in flight mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@CalS Regarding the offline notebooks, I decided to go „all in“. If it is solved, it needs to be working now, right ? Before 10.3 I needed to download notebook by notebook, because selecting „all“ notebooks stalled the process completely.

My caution was more to the notebook showing complete but with the attachment as yet not on the device.  I received a downloading message and pause when accessing the PDF right after the download showed complete.  I did not expect that.  Your experience implies if you let it bake a while all is well. Good to know. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Using EN 10.2, download of my two largest notebooks on iPad stalled for me (about one third of note contents missing offline). Updating to EN 10.3 had no effect on the large notebooks, but the smaller notebooks have now started to download. The size of the database has increased by less than a GB in a couple of days, so it looks as though I'm in for a long wait, but I'll continue to leave the app open continuously and see what happens.

At least for me, offline access to my content is much more important with my iPad than with DT mac.

another goodie: it seems my „cannot save sketches after resizing the drawing area“ issue has been fixed, too.

Folks, this new feature in V10 to have an infinite drawing area for sketches (a very well known feature of OneNote) is pretty cool!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What about saving to contacts the data from scanned business cards??? Why on earth have you ever thought about removing this feature???!! Your approach to customer satisfaction makes me think you want to become the Ryanair of software companies.

• Like 2

@Shane D.I downloaded ver 10.3 (1108952) the day it was made available, and to date there are still 4 notebooks stuck at nearly downloaded - per the green progress bar - and those bars has not moved at all for any of the 4 notebooks.

1 notebook contains approximately 10944 notes

1 notebook contains 31 text notes

1 notebook contains 1237 notes

1 notebook contains 1020 notes

These notebooks comprise almost all of my 13GB of notes

What gives?  Version 8 of the app was frustrating at times, but NOTHING compared to version 10.3.

At this point, I'm pretty frustrated by repeated failures of the app, and really hope you have some insight beyond uninstall and reinstall the app - this is just needlessly difficult...

Edited by southernforge
Clarification & add detail
  • Level 5

Have you disabled offline sync first ?

My experience is that if it got stuck once, it will probably not restart, even after an update.

When switching off be aware the switch will move to on by itself, and stay there until the „off“ procedure has trickled down. With above 10k notes, this may take a while. You can try to keep the downloaded data, at least it worked for me.

The „all notebooks“ toggle does work with 10.3.

48 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Have you disabled offline sync first ?

My experience is that if it got stuck once, it will probably not restart, even after an update.

When switching off be aware the switch will move to on by itself, and stay there until the „off“ procedure has trickled down. With above 10k notes, this may take a while. You can try to keep the downloaded data, at least it worked for me.

The „all notebooks“ toggle does work with 10.3.

Hi @PinkElephant,

thank you.  i see that one of the notebooks with a small notes count, after several iterations - as you said would be the case - the offline setting remained off.  Still waiting to see if the setting switches to not offline for the larger notebooks, while keeping the downloadeed content, and am waiting for awhile to recheck

• Level 5

For me, the process was VERY slow, so patience is required. After nearly a week with the app running the offline note contents are still gradually downloading. 

Checking the "iPAd Storage" section of the ipad shows that EN takes up nearly 15 GB, which is getting close to the size of my database on my DT mac. (I have 32K+ notes). I'll continue to leave the app open.

• Level 5

My offline data base is close to 16GB, and it loaded in less than 24hrs. Maybe network issues play into the speed, and probably the same raw size will load faster when comprised of larger notes.

Kept autolockscreen off, brightness dimmed down and the iPad on a charger.

• Level 5
4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe network issues play into the speed, and probably the same raw size will load faster when comprised of larger notes.

My largest note is 23 MB. If there are network problems they must be at the server end.

This pace of download was identical when I recently did s clean install on a new mac. On the mac, using "Activity Monitor" the download process would often stop or do a MB in an hour. Interestingly, last year, when I had to do a clean install of Legacy on a mac the download proceeded much faster.

Prior to upgrade, in two mac's the Legacy version was in one location, but the upgrade automatically installed in ~/Library/Application Support which took about a week. It seems plausible that this requirement to slowly generate a new database may have been responsible for many users' initial problems with blank notes after upgrading to EN 10+.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, iamck said:

Is M1 compatibility fixed? Your software is beyond absolutely useless on any new Mac. Mine has gone from being slow AF to now not even opening.

Once the database was downloaded (about a week) my new M1 Macbook Air has performed well. I checked the time to sequentially load the body of 10 notes with sizeable contents and consistently got an average of 1.5 s per note. An old (9years) imac performed better at 1 s per note.

Overall, EN 10.5.7 performance has been decent for me. However, every time I have to shut down the app and then re-launch (M1 and Intel mac) the app freezes or operates glacially, taking at least a couple of hours before working properly. (I haven't submitted a Support Ticket).

• Level 5*
On 1/6/2021 at 8:05 AM, Shane D. said:

Offline notebooks

Offline notebooks continue to fail for me     
The download ran longer, but never finished    
Now the app aborts continuously after a few minutes    
The only solution is to delete and reinstall   
Support ticket #3241104

• Level 5

@DTLow Maybe related to the number of notes ? I remember there was a cap of 10.000 notes mentioned somewhere, maybe „per notebook“.

My download went through fine, and it still is very snappy in updating.

When there is just a handful of notes to download, the green bar shows up in the notebook directly after opening the app and syncing the active content, and it is done with downloading to offline in less than a minute.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:05 AM, Shane D. said:

Version 10.3 of Evernote for iOS is now available via the App Store.

Fixed:

- Pasting images would result in duplicate images
- When using search filters in dark mode the screen would sometimes flash to light mode
- Notes would sometimes save in default notebook instead of the selected notebook
- Offline notebooks would occasionally get stuck during the download process
- Edits sometimes getting lost when quickly switching between notes
- Performance improvements for the left sidebar
- Users now receive email notifications immediately when a note is shared with them

Coming Soon:

- Table editing
- Apple Watch support
- Search in PDF files
- iOS Widget

How about core functionality being restored first?

Better yet, how about a mea culpa from Evernote, perhaps a restoration of apps that work, while beta testing is conducted with user input?

A little frustration is appropriate, I think...

• Like 1
  • Shane D. locked and unpinned this topic