In Windows 10.5.7, deleting unused tags is a pain in the butt. 

First you have to open the Tags list in a separate list.  Why can't I just right click on a tag and get the same menu that I do when I click on the three little dots next to the tag in the separate tag list?

Then, in the separate tag list, after clicking the three little dots and clicking delete, and after clicking Delete in the confirmation window, I get an error screen.

Then if I click reload page it takes me back to the full Evernote window.  I would expect it to take me back to the view with the expanded tag list.

Bottom line is that it takes about 15 seconds to delete a single unused tag... and that's 14 seconds too long!

• Like 2

I do not recommend anyone using v10, you can everything you want with Evernote Legacy and I see no reason to use v10 - no features added, several features removed, not to mention performance downgrade and bugs related to hardcoded keyboard shordcuts that collide with several non-US keyboard layouts.

I have the same issue. I know that the advice is to go back to the Legacy version but I also think it's useful for EN to see user's frustration. In one of the Behind the Scenes videos, they mentioned that a very small percentage (5%) are "committed" tags users. I find that hard to believe since it's such a great function.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5
3 minutes ago, juliacraighill said:

a very small percentage (5%) are "committed" tags users.

Wow! That is a nasty pill to swallow, especially with their current backtracking to go back to the legacy version.

I've been using Evernote daily for the past 12 years with 60,000+ notes on two Evernote accounts and over 2,000 tags. 

What is going on with Evernote? Yes, that is a pointless question. They seem so far removed from their original 2nd brain concept. 

• Evernote Expert
12 hours ago, jbenson2 said:
12 hours ago, juliacraighill said:

a very small percentage (5%) are "committed" tags users.

Wow! That is a nasty pill to swallow, especially with their current backtracking to go back to the legacy version.

To be fair, I don't think you'll find EN staff promoting the use of the legacy version - just that they offer it for those who have problems with the new version. The promotion of the legacy version as an option is coming from users.

As for the percentages I understand that the data are pretty robust. Very few users engage with tags but those that do, do so with deep commitment.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi.  Here's the workaround I used to delete a bunch of tags at once:

1.  create new tag (e.g. "delete-nested-tags")

2.  drag the tags you wish to delete inside of the newly created tag

3.  right-click the tag you just created, select the option to "delete tag"

4.  if the tag you selected has sub-tags, you will see the option to "delete all sub-tags"

That's it!  Bulk operations would be easier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, charris said:

Hi.  Here's the workaround I used to delete a bunch of tags at once:

Brilliant! Great workaround, although I agree that a proper bulk operation (on a decent sized tags panel) would be easier.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Fastest way to delete the 875 tags Evernote auto-generated for me years ago 😑 - on a Mac:

- Download Evernote Legacy: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

- Click on the "tags" section on the left-hand bar

- Click the first (upper-left) tag

- Shift-Click the last (lower-right) tag

- Right-click/two-finger-tap and choose "Delete All"

Figuring this out made my whole week.