Permanently Delete Tag

johnarush

Click on TAGS on left navigation panel... a popout  list of all the tags should appear at that point if you have update from yesterday...find tag you want to delete...click on three dots to right of tag ... several options appear including delete

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've tried the web version and the Mac desktop version.  The three dots are not there.  I can't delete a tag, and I also can't edit a tag name.  I've been a Premium Evernote user for years and never have had this problem before.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm am using Premium Evernote (personal) v. 10.6.9 on Windows 10 Pro.  I have tried every suggestion I have found on the forum for removing unused tags.  Nothing works.  I even tried dragging and dropping an empty tag to Trash.  Nope.  I tried starting Evernote as an admin, but that did not work, either.

I can understand needing an admin to delete tags for a business account, but it should not be this difficult in a personal account.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

If anyone is still having issues, this works for me:

You have to click on the Tags header at the top of all your tags. A list of tags will then come up to the right and then, you can click on the ellipses (the three dots) by your tag, which finally allows you to delete it.

This is cumbersome and unintuitive. It should happen in the main sidebar, but it works for now.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
On 2/21/2021 at 11:07 AM, redclifford5000 said:

If anyone is still having issues, this works for me:

You have to click on the Tags header at the top of all your tags. A list of tags will then come up to the right and then, you can click on the ellipses (the three dots) by your tag, which finally allows you to delete it.

This is cumbersome and unintuitive. It should happen in the main sidebar, but it works for now.

This doesn't work if the tag was in a shared note. Then, you only have the option to add to shortcuts.

• 1 year later...

I finally could remove tags. I am using Evernote in iPad. Clicking on the tag header, I get the list of all tags. On the upper right corner, there are three dots and clicking on them, I get the option to edit the tags.

• Level 5

To delete a tag, you can as well make a swipe to the right on that tag in Tags view. At the end of the line the 3 dots show. Tap on them, choose delete tag from the drop-down menu. This works without enabling „Edit Tags“ first.

What still makes it cumbersome is that it works Tag by tag only - there is no way on the iPad (mobile) client for a multiselection.

If the option is greyed out, the tag is from a shared note, and can only be deleted by the owner of that note.

• 3 months later...

Hi All, I have a Teams (company) account and use Evernote with a team of people with desktops/laptops, all MacOS. My organization does not use iPads.

How do I delete tags?

If an employee by accident creates a wrong tag, how do I as owner/admin completely remove/delete the tag?

Or am I stuck with it for ever?

I don't see any dots in the list.

Running
10.58.8-mac-mas-public (459909)
Editor: v172.19.3
Service: v1.69.5

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 09.26.15.png

• Evernote Expert

If you have a Teams account you have a support contact at Evernote who should be able to help.

I believe that tags belong to the person that created them. There are also tags for the team which the overall manager can manage.

So, get the originators to delete the interested tags.

• Level 5

If it is similar on Teams as it is on shared notebooks, there can be the same tag twice: One from the owner of the account, one from the owner of the shared notebook. This can be sort of irritating, because they look and behave the same - just that the own tag can't be used on the shared notebook, and the other from the shared notebook can't be used everywhere else.

Would be interesting how this continues based on a Teams account.

• 7 months later...
On 12/30/2020 at 11:05 AM, JuliFish said:

I've tried the web version and the Mac desktop version.  The three dots are not there.  I can't delete a tag, and I also can't edit a tag name.  I've been a Premium Evernote user for years and never have had this problem before.

I had the same problem - zero way to delete tags on web. Had to hop into the mobile app to swipe left on a tag, see elipses, and delete it.