How do I revert back to previous version of app on my android pixel????

• Level 5*

Would be nice if Evernote staff could clarify their position on this. We have had numerous people asking for the old Android app. Since it is possible to install the older version on Android, and since Legacy versions are provided for Windows and Mac, seems to me EN should provide the old Android app. I may have missed it, but I have yet to see EN provide a link to this. Which means unhappy users either put up with v10 Android app and disrupted workflows, or they take a risk and download the apk from a third party site.

@Shane D.can you please clarify EN position on this? Does EN provide a link to the prior Android app? If so, please share it. I'll make a copy of the link as well and post it whenever I see people asking to revert.

I've just gone through this with support.  Their position is that once you upgrade to the new app you can't revert to the legacy version.  My guess is that means they're not going to provide the legacy apk.  Hopefully they won't do something else to keep you from going back.  

Does anyone know a safe place to find the legacy apk?  
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, mikea144 said:
I've just gone through this with support.  Their position is that once you upgrade to the new app you can't revert to the legacy version.  My guess is that means they're not going to provide the legacy apk.  Hopefully they won't do something else to keep you from going back.  

Does anyone know a safe place to find the legacy apk?  

That position says a lot about how they view their users.

I posted a link to latest version prior to v10 here: 

How can I revert back to the previous android app? The new version is terrible. They removed the widgets functionality which is the only reason I use the app on my phone. Such a shame that every update they do for this update cases loss of functionality. 

• Like 1

I thought I'd ask support about this.  Here's part of their response:

In regards to the APK file, I cannot confirm that it might work and we don't distribute versions of the Evernote app outside of the Google Play Store. We want to be sure customers are getting the latest features, bug fixes, and security updates, and unfortunately, APK files don’t provide that. Do know, downloading from an untrusted source would be a use at your own risk scenario as we do not have any affiliation with 3rd party APK host providers. And yes, we don't even know if those files have viruses or malware.

So, my take is that they don't want us to do this, won't take responsibility if anything goes wrong, but they don't say that it won't work. 

It's still a mystery to me that they provide a link to the legacy PC app but don't want their Android customers to have the same option. 

Nicoster it appears that you can find a version of the legacy apk and just install it.  On another thread gazumped mentioned downloading it at https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/android/download/2259282. Just download the apk from the site and tap on it to install the legacy version.  You may have to enable installing apps from unknown sources under Android settings.  Depending on your Android version it may take some effort to find it.  

Edited by mikea144
Fixed link.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Nicoster said:

How can I revert back to the previous android app? The new version is terrible. They removed the widgets functionality which is the only reason I use the app on my phone. Such a shame that every update they do for this update cases loss of functionality. 

The post right above yours has a link to a post containing the apk.

FOUND IT! 

Having just been upgraded to the new version on Mac OS I've been completed pissed off by the terrible 'improvements' that have been rolled out!

- the search function takes much longer to find results
- the search bar should have remained at the top
- the windows that can usually be dragged left/right to show/hide the lists of notes and shortcuts is now stuck closed, and I can't get it back open again

What a joke! I'm properly frustrated by these truly down-grading 'improvements'.

Thankfully I found this link on this page where you can instal the good old legacy version. I have it happily working on my Macbook Pro already. Many thanks to the person who posted it.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

17 hours ago, mikea144 said:

I thought I'd ask support about this.  Here's part of their response:

In regards to the APK file, I cannot confirm that it might work and we don't distribute versions of the Evernote app outside of the Google Play Store. We want to be sure customers are getting the latest features, bug fixes, and security updates, and unfortunately, APK files don’t provide that. Do know, downloading from an untrusted source would be a use at your own risk scenario as we do not have any affiliation with 3rd party APK host providers. And yes, we don't even know if those files have viruses or malware.

So, my take is that they don't want us to do this, won't take responsibility if anything goes wrong, but they don't say that it won't work. 

It's still a mystery to me that they provide a link to the legacy PC app but don't want their Android customers to have the same option. 

Nicoster it appears that you can find a version of the legacy apk and just install it.  On another thread gazumped mentioned downloading it at https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/android/download/2259282. Just download the apk from the site and tap on it to install the legacy version.  You may have to enable installing apps from unknown sources under Android settings.  Depending on your Android version it may take some effort to find it.  

Geez. I'm panicking now to find my auto-update feature ( to turn it off) on my Samsung Note 10+. I rely heavily on my mobile Evernote every day to work. If they feck it up and I can't continue working with it, I'm going to absolutely lose it. I.e. figuratively (my mind) and physically (the apps and 10 years of paid Evernote loyalty).

17 minutes ago, hanseric said:

Geez. I'm panicking now to find my auto-update feature ( to turn it off) on my Samsung Note 10+. I rely heavily on my mobile Evernote every day to work. If they feck it up and I can't continue working with it, I'm going to absolutely lose it. I.e. figuratively (my mind) and physically (the apps and 10 years of paid Evernote loyalty).

Found it. Go to Google Play on your phone, Settings and then turn off Auto Update.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

Is there any way or any version of the apk (or any way to tweak it) to prevent evernote from updating the apk installed version (without turning off updates for ALL android apps)? I installed the 8.13.3, re-downloaded all the offline notebooks I wanted. Then a few days later when I was offline I went to use the app and all the content was gone, it wouldn't let me open the app since it required a login and I realized it had auto-updated it to horrible 10.6 version. I can't believe... well I can since its evernote... that they'd deploy an app that removes a key paid feature (the ability to download notebooks and use the app offline - 10.6 broke both these effectively). The only reason I paid for evernote was for offline use and they broke it and now I can't even use the version that still works. 

AFAIK there's no way to do this. I have auto update disabled, and every morning I go into Play and individually install every update except Evernote.  It's a pain but it beats the alternative.

This apk worked for me; even retrieved notes I thought v10 had lost. https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/android/download/3303327

For me though, this is the end of the road with evernote; I'll download my notes as fast as I can, even if one at a time, and keep it somewhere safer. My notes are important to me for crying out loud.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...