Notebook and tags should not be separated in a note

Don Dz

Idea

Someone must have mentioned this already, but it makes no sense to look up to see the notebook and down to see the tags in a note, in the old version we could see all at  a quick glance at the top.

I don't care where you put them, as long as they are together like before.

• Thanks 1

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You are correct, this has been mentioned multiple times before.  A real head scratcher of a design decision.  If I recall Mr. Small said in an interview it was to free space for more important stuff.  Though from what I can tell from screenshots, V10 is a bit under baked for me to use in any fashion at this point, nothing has supplanted that bit of screen.  

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Someone must have mentioned this already, but it makes no sense to look up to see the notebook and down to see the tags in a note, in the old version we could see all at  a quick glance at the top.

I added my vote   
fwiw  Version 10 on my iPad displays tags at the top to the right of notebook

8 hours ago, Don Dz said:

You are absolutely correct, it makes no ergonomic or practical sense whatsoever to move the tags so far away from the notebook, Ian Small, as already mentioned dismissing this criticism in an earlier interview saying some rubbish about saving space but there is and was clearly space at the top for them to appear next to the notebook and as you see they now in fact take up more screen Realestate at the bottom. Very worrying that he should revert to a clear lie in order to dismiss an obvious practical improvement to this horrible software but that is the way I feel EN will deal with all these great suggestions and requests to reinstate a clearly superior product, Classic Evernote. I know we are told we can just keep using the old version but for how long, when will they pull the plug on the only working version. If they are deluded into thinking this EV10 is anywhere near ready, which I’m worried I think they are, we are all in big trouble. It’s like they don’t use their own software. 

Actually, in looking at some of my more cluttered notes that have too many tags, URL info, and other stuff previously appearing at the top, I will admit they look terribly cluttered in the old version (specially any information that disappears off screen, like too many tags), and more "pretty", less cluttered in the new version.

I also appreciate that Reminders are more clearly visible in the note.

But my request still stands: they need to all be in the same general part of the screen, even if they take extra lines like in the new version.

I have gradually learned more discipline in using fewer tags per note, after much trial and error, that helps with the clutter some.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, mczin said:

If you want to add a tag at the bottom, a tag #example is not found by typing example. 

I think on balance I would also prefer a proper search rather than a "starts with" search, although it might increase false results. I like being able to type a "special character" and see all my tags beginning with that character without it being cluttered by tags that have the character in the middle. 

For those who aren't aware the full edit tags window (alt-ctrl-T) does search for tags properly.

• Like 1