Just installed Evernote 10 : scared.

nonobio

Idea

Hello,

I just installed Evernote 10, fortunately the windows 10 "store" version to keep my old desktop 6 in place.

I'm affraid of what will be the future of Evernote. For now, i can't imagine use the version 10 daily.

It miss too much essential features for me :

• Display a note take at least 5 seconds with new version when it take about 2 with old one
  • If i display all notes with a selected tag and want to filter again by tags : it display all my tags, not only the tags of my displayed notes
  • I can't export all my notes as a backup solution ? (exen and html)
  • No "Synchronisation" button
  • No offline use ?!
  • Checkbox gone : it seems to be replaced by a checklist which strikethrought the text when checked and i can't put checkbox wherever i want; for instance in the same line or following.
  • Dropping url from my browser type the url. With old version it typed page name with html link.
  • No preferences settings ?!
  • Some of my notes (maybe a lot) have a "HTML content" indication at the beginning and i can't edit them before "simplify" them.

For now i will close Evernote 10 and go back with 6, but for how long ? I am worried about the future of Evernote.

Maybe it's time to look at an alternative :(

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote have said in several videos on the subject that the release version 10.0 was a stripped down product which they used to ensure that their brand new system was working.  They plan on restoring most missing features while fixing any remaining bugs. 

They're still fixing,  but the original 10.0 has already gone through several versions and is -gradually- getting better.  It's a responsible and practical way to introduce a new process to the huge number of existing users they service (250M!!)

If the new version is missing some feature that you need on a daily basis,  then there's a 'legacy' app - the last public release before the update - which you can run alongside the new app and use when and if you need it.

Worst case,  it's possible to 'nuke' your system and remove the newer versions or Evernote completely and go back - for the moment - exclusively to the last public version,  disabling updates meantime.

There's no sign Evernote is going to drop essential services anytime soon.  They have some work still to do,  but things should improve. 

Meantime I'm getting on with my life and leaving them to it...

For information:

1 hour ago, nonobio said:

No offline use ?!

Most functions should work offline once all your notes have been downloaded. With no sync button you are at the mercy of the syncronisation gods to decide when this will happen.

1 hour ago, nonobio said:

Checkbox gone

It's in the insert menu and you can also use the <open square bracker><close square bracket> trick as long as it's not at the beginning of a line. Use a space first if you want it at the beginning of a line.

It kinda sucks, yes

They removed deleting note by pressing 'del' on keyboard.... this makes no sense to me whatsoever

No options/preferences is also non-sense

But I liked a few things, for example the additional highlighting colors, the youtube video preview/playback... 

• Level 5*

If you still need reassurance,  have a look at Steve Dotto's take on all this - which includes some stuff that I hadn't realised about the new app... He seems to be pretty happy with progress so far.

The video is free to watch for 6 days from today,  and the full magic starts about 8 minutes in when he gets to the meat of the release.

https://youtu.be/ErJgfjnXWTk

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

If you still need reassurance,  have a look at Steve Dotto's take on all this - which includes some stuff that I hadn't realised about the new app... He seems to be pretty happy with progress so far.

The video is free to watch for 6 days from today,  and the full magic starts about 8 minutes in when he gets to the meat of the release.

https://youtu.be/ErJgfjnXWTk

Is their a TLDW on that?

He did seem to be pretty unsure about how the new version worked. 

I noted at one point in the Q&A he was asked about inserting a .pdf into a note and wasn't sure how to and indeed if it was still possible. 

I came away with the overall impression that he liked the bare bones changes when using it as a note taker, but didn't seem to address the myriad of use cases and how the new version is broken to all of us using it as a depository / document management / storage facility. 

I like Steve's approach and his video's in general but this one to me seemed half researched and like Version 10, "half-baked"

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

If you still need reassurance,  have a look at Steve Dotto's take on all this

Thanks for the  link    
He covered dropped functions, but failed to mention pending functions   
I have no intention of using the Version 10 product until the work is completed

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, CalS said:

Is their a TLDW on that?

For the reasons @Powerfab mentioned I didn't watch the full session.  Uncle Steve got a bit painfully bogged down trying to field the sort of questions we're seeing here.  The actual content runs from 8 minutes to around 45 minutes in,  and he makes the point that this is a foundational release onto which Evernote are building some shiny things - including new Apple Pen handwriting recognition on the iPad (which was mostly Apple,  but hey - it works...) and a 'play' feature for embedded videos. 

He did point out that it was pretty snappy to use across all his devices, and showed the same interface on all of them.  He bemoaned the loss of 'local' (unsynced) notebooks,  but was a bit dismissive of everything else; and he reckons that the reason there aren't any options to speak of is that we don't need them now.  (Jury is still out on that).

My general take is like @DTLow - I'm not going anywhere near this until I have to!!  But it's nice to have a grown-up view from Steve, and he'll follow up on this I'm sure.

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5*

Thanks Gaz.  I started using EN as a note keeping app back in the day and it morphed into the hub for my documents, tasks, and whatever else I cared to digitize or remember.  With not so many notes per se.  In lightening speed. 

Generically and over simplifying, a lot of the feature that enabled that morphing has been removed.  As you, I'm not touching 10 until a chunk of that is returned.  10 is just another dog in the pack at this point.  :(

Just installed. I was also scared. There is no presentation mode :(
Please bring it back

I love feature that makes difference to OneNote and other apps that my co-workers use. I like to have the neet Evernote features back!

Hi,

Thanks for the video. I'm a bit reassured but not completly.

I understand the need of a unified version on all platform and i hope missing features and maybe new ones will be added in next updates.

But i'm also worried about performance..., but i was annoyed also with this aspect on version 6.

With version 6 i often have latence (for instance when searching tags) and more and more often a "no responding" message with circle instead of pointer. I had discussed with evernote support and they said i should divide all my bigger's notes : not possible for me so i lived with it...

With version 10 i didn't see the same specific performance issues, which is good, but all the application seems to be slower, which is not good :( . 

Is there any information about performances which could increase in next update ?

Maybe related : i installed the windows "store" version 10 to not touch my "desktop" version 6.

Is there any difference between the store 10 and desktop 10 version ? For instance concerning performances...

About the "legacy" version : if i'm right : it is the same that the last desktop version 6 i keeped, isn't it ?

Thanks

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, nonobio said:

Is there any information about performances which could increase in next update ?

That's got to be in the developers' mind at all times.  If you watched Steve Dotto toward the end of his comments (about 40 minutes in) he does note that the app is 'pretty speedy' on all his devices.  It might depend on individual cases like OS version and device!  If it doesn't get better,  submit a support ticket.

5 hours ago, nonobio said:

Is there any difference between the store 10 and desktop 10 version ?

No idea.  Windows apps are basically the same code packaged in a nice Windows Store wrapper:  but it is an extra layer and might have some minor differences - you could always uninstall it and reinstall the Evernote.com version.  (One thing the new app makes easier is uninstall/ reinstall!)

-And the legacy app is 6.25.2,  while the last public release is 6.25.1.  Again no idea what differences there may be,  but it would be an idea to install Legacy properly - it's at least designed to integrate with version 10,  where 6.25.1 was not.  (Though I don't know whether any changes were required.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
22 hours ago, nonobio said:

I'm affraid of what will be the future of Evernote. For now, i can't imagine use the version 10 daily.

For  now, I'm still using the Legacy product on my desktop computer   
The Version 10 product is a work-in-progress; I'm waiting until the work is completed

I think an agent has infiltrated the company and evernote released this version to go bankrupt. There can be no other reason for this.

They canceled almost everything nice. Evernote windows version cannot be used with this update. I immediately reverted to the old version. If this update strategy continues, I don't think I will ever upgrade to new versions. Just because of this, maybe I can say goodbye to evernote soon.