[Troubleshooting] "Error syncing url, cannot convert" along with the URL link in the body of the note.

• Level 5

Hi All,

I've seen some user reports regarding this issue. It is one that we are aware of, and are working to address.

As a workaround, you can try clipping the same page from a desktop computer.

Also, you can try to set the page to reader view in Safari ('Aa' icon on the lefthand side of the URL bar), then send it via email to Evernote.

Please let us know on this thread if you encounter this issue.

I'll be following up here once I have any updates.

• Like 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to [Troubleshooting] Some clipped pages display "Error syncing url, cannot convert" along with the URL link in the body of the note.
  • 4 weeks later...

Slightly different problem. I currently have six clips that seem stuck in the initial process of being saved to Evernote.  Each time I open Evernote it looks as though they are being saved but the process never completes.  If I clip another page, the number of stuck items increases by one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
13 hours ago, BasieBand said:

Slightly different problem. I currently have six clips that seem stuck in the initial process of being saved to Evernote.  Each time I open Evernote it looks as though they are being saved but the process never completes.  If I clip another page, the number of stuck items increases by one.

I'm having this exact same issue.

• Like 1
On 11/29/2020 at 10:21 AM, BasieBand said:

same here, my PC version also can't syncimage.png.65b2a816d8da0ff0dd13ce86ac1d3e40.png

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this problem every time I try to clip something from the Wall Street Journal. At least it’s consistent. Could it be because of the subscriber paywall? (I’m a subscriber and am logged in when I try to clip something.) 

Using Safari on an iPhone XS, latest iOS.

• 2 weeks later...

Have the same problem. Clips from Chrome or Safari in iPadOS are never saved. No error messages. No clue of failure until I look for the clip in Evernote (iPad) and find nothing. And, yes, the desktop version does work, but the whole point of clipping service for iPad is for use when desktop isn’t available. Sure hope issue is resolved soon.

Hi Admin, Any update with these problems, on ipadPro, iphone7 & XR (all latest iOS). Have had this problem consistently since October, all attempts to clipped web pages on many different sites display "Error syncing url, cannot convert" along with the URL link in the body of the note, and syncing is still very very slow.

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees

@Twitchly Thank you for mentioning this issue from this source of Wall Street Journal, we are looking into it.

@BPBear It sounds like what you're encountering may be different if you're not seeing any indication of the clip being created or importing into the main app and if you're not seeing the note being created at all with the "Error syncing url, cannot convert" after sharing from some websites. Does an iOS "force quit" of the main Evernote app (don't reinstall or you will need to re-share any prior pages that haven't imported and synced yet) help with new mobile shares? Not a guarantee, but sometimes it can wake the sharing/importing processes back up in similar-sounding scenarios. 

@enpeef Are you comfortable sharing some of the affected websites you're seeing the "Error syncing url, cannot convert" message on? So far we're aware of some mobile Twitter, Wall Street Journal, Tech Crunch, Fox News, Wikipedia, webpages that may be affected. If you're seeing it anywhere else specific and don't mind sharing - this will help our investigation.

Our apologies you're all encountering these issues. The team is working towards solutions in these scenarios.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 9:38 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I've seen some user reports regarding this issue. It is one that we are aware of, and are working to address.

As a workaround, you can try clipping the same page from a desktop computer.

Also, you can try to set the page to reader view in Safari ('Aa' icon on the lefthand side of the URL bar), then send it via email to Evernote.

Please let us know on this thread if you encounter this issue.

I'll be following up here once I have any updates.

Duplicates pictures and entries also occur.   Also seeing notes created during December as completely missing.   Did a new test one today and currently it is there.   How do you get back notes that system seems to have removed or made non-viewable?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I am always getting this message when iOS EN is trying to sync the news articles I have clipped on my iPhone or iPad:

"Error syncing URL, cannot convert https://www.content to a note" - also, it takes a-g-e-s to try and sync the article in the iOS app.

I am following the same work flow I always have, but around a month ago this error began occurring. (Probably when I update EN)

The same articles clipped using the EN clipper on my Mac are fine and behave as normal.

I suspect it is something to do with the URL share sheet on my iOS.

My EN and iOS are both up-to-date, and I have tried reinstalling EN etc.

The main site I want to use is: http://www.bbc.com/news/world/

Any advice or information greatly received.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:21 PM, BasieBand said:

exactly this for me, i have 24 notes now because I didn’t realize the queue kept increasing. Mine specifically seems stuck on a “sharedimage.png” with the other notes waiting behind. Everyone should also be aware that this is NOT a synching issue - synching still works for everything else - the app is stuck importing notes shared via share extension. I can still create a note with the app open and it will synch. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Shane D. changed the title to [Troubleshooting] "Error syncing url, cannot convert" along with the URL link in the body of the note.
  • 1 month later...

This is also happening on Android. I can't believe this issue is from Nov!  I thought the whole point of moving into this new 1 code base for all was to make it simpler to fix bugs!  Please fix asap. Evernote on the phone is pretty much useless now because all I do is save clippings to read later.

• Ex Employees

Hi @lisec, I understand how frustrating it must be to complete a clip and then view it in Evernote and see that error. Are there any specific share sources this happens most frequently for you (if you're comfortable sharing) or does it seem to be at random? We're aware of some sources but any more information could be helpful. If it's an issue happening across all your shares, please get in touch with our support team to take a closer look if you haven't already.

• 4 months later...
  • Ex Employees

@Roxie68the issue you're encountering should hopefully be resolved in an upcoming update. If you still see this happening in the coming weeks, please mark down the source content you were sharing so we can try to reproduce the issue, and get in touch with our support team.

• Ex Employees

@Allan Bogildit sounds like you may be encountering a different issue than the one mentioned in this thread, but defiintely still an issue.

Is it a specific source you are sharing when this happens? Is it all webpages from Safari or just certain ones? 

If you force quit (don't reinstall) Evernote and reopen the app, do the prior shares start to show up?

• Ex Employees

@Roxie68that is definitely not expected for all web pages. SSome sources may be more likely to trigger that message than others, but it shouldn't be all pages. Please first make sure your app is updated and then get in touch with our support team to investigate what you're encountering in more detail.