View PDF and other files as attachements

nervozzo

Idea

My experience of Evernote went downhill when I lost the option to automatically view PDFs at attachments on all notes. I save a lot of PDFs in my notes and now I keep scrolling and scrolling so I can find the actual note after all the PDFs. Come on, guys!

• Like 3

28 replies to this idea

The newer version of Evernote 10.1.7 has removed the tools that usually under option to make PDF file viewed as an attachment. Now its completely gone, although I will give them points for not displaying all the pages like used to, thank you for not regressing completely. 

PLEASE I beg of you, bring it back...sincerely Thank you!

Agree with the comments about attachments being viewed as a page instead of an attachment. I, too, use Evernote for saving lots of attachments in a note.  Now, I have to right click on each "page" and click View as attachment so I can scroll through the note more efficiently.  I'm baffled view preferences aren't available.  Will agree with another post that this release seems premature.  I certainly don't want to have to navigate every single note and right click every single attachment to change from page view to attachment view.  Please fix, developers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Same here, if they don't bring it back, I will find a different tool as I am using evernote for document repository and showing inline full size is just pointless when you have 20 in a page. I believe that they don't want people to store documents in evernote anymore but we kinda pay for the storage

I've often wondered if they'd ever try to get rid of the storage idea. I hope not. I know I pay for the service and don't use anywhere near the monthly data limits, but with 8 years of data, I'm sure its getting kinda large what's being stored. I've started exploring the idea of a mass download, just in case.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, nchau09843432 said:

I believe that they don't want people to store documents in evernote anymore

I'm not seeing any indication of this   
We can store any format files as attachments in notes

Inline file viewers are a different topic

I agree that if this option doesn't come back I will be leaving the platform. Viewing pdfs as embeds causes longer loading time and infinitely more scrolling, and I'm very unhappy that the option has been removed.

Still silence from Evernote.
It was a great app when I subscrived years ago but now they are fully forgetting customers (I have at least 2 more bugs reported but not solved.

But now the viewing of pdf as emebds makes not usable the app.
Luckily I could install the previou version of Evernote (the Legacy) but otherwise I couldn't work at all.

On 11/16/2020 at 3:36 PM, shazle said:

I agree that if this option doesn't come back I will be leaving the platform. Viewing pdfs as embeds causes longer loading time and infinitely more scrolling, and I'm very unhappy that the option has been removed.

IIRC, the subscription has a limit on the amount of data that can be uploaded & downloaded each month. Does the imbedded view cause more data use?  If so, is this a specific attempt by Evernote to push users to higher data usage and then charge more for the service based on that?

5 hours ago, mikea144 said:

I embed PDFs in notes all the time and it's not acceptable to not be able to view them as an attachment.

Just to clarify -  this request is about the default behaviour when you add a pdf to a note. You can still change the pdf to an attachment (or the new continuous "All pages"  view) manually. This setting then "sticks" in future views of the note.

Hopefully we will have some options in the future and this would certainly be near the top of my list.

• Like 2

You should be able to set a default view for ALL attachments to view as you please. In my case, I want every attachment to default to "View as Attachment." What is this 1995? This is a very basic feature and should be an easy fix! Even when I manually fix it in a note, the next time I sign in, it shows up inline, making my notes look messy and confusing.

• Like 1

I agree-- this is utterly frustrating!  Also, it keeps resetting with each new update.  So you right click, change to "view as attachment," but after the last two updates, it has just reverted back, and I have to right click on it AGAIN.

• Evernote Expert
16 hours ago, trex said:

I agree-- this is utterly frustrating!  Also, it keeps resetting with each new update.  So you right click, change to "view as attachment," but after the last two updates, it has just reverted back, and I have to right click on it AGAIN.

If this is your experience then it is a particular problem faced by you. I don't think that the need to repeat the process as you describe is common.  If this continues for you I  recommend opening a support ticket.

The more general issue of not being able to set a default option for the 'View As' setting to Attachment (or for that matter All Pages) hs not been offered and is a definite feature request that has been with us since version 10 was released.

• Level 5

You can switch each attachment between "View as attachment" and "View inline" (as picture, pdf, etc.).

Just click on the content, then the 3 dots, and select your choice.

No settings yet to set a default.

P.S. Your "!" key has a malfunction .... seems to get stuck once in a while ....

• Haha 1