Version 10 for Windows - a good start

I have been using Evernote since 2011 and rely on it heavily for my day to day work.   There are certainly some features that are missing, but the improvements out way any challenges.  The pen support combined with the new editor and mixed media types within the same note is great.  I have been using Microsoft Surface Pros & pens with Evernote for years (tablet open on the desktop for hand written notes and connected to a second screen for keyboard work/management).  This along with Notebooks and Tags are huge for my workflow management.

Also love that hand writing in Sketch mode is searchable

Keep the enhancements coming ... especially the automatic activation of erase mode when I flip my pen over to use the eraser in Sketch mode

• Like 1

I agree, I really like the new app and thankfully I’m having no issues with the windows app at all. I think the consistency across the board is a big step forward and it will be interesting to see how this develops. 

• Like 2

Another agree. Pen support is much better.

I've not had any issues with the new app and re-signed up to premium last weekend and moved everything from OneNote as the new app answers a lot of questions as to why I left Evernote 4 years ago.

There's a few little things I'd like to see added but the usability of the new app is MUCH improved for me.

Nice job by the development team.

• Like 2

I agree too. The Windows version is is a bit laggy on my laptop but it's so much cleaner and appears to be speeding up. Oddly on my underpowered Microsoft Surface Go it performs well.

I have a lot of notes (38,956) but relatively simple notebook and tagging systems. There are a few things I miss or have not found yet - not having note tallies ironically, keyboard shortcuts for items in the insert menu - but overall I'm enjoying using evernote whereas in the past it has been a necessary pain due to regular freezes in Windows that new versions of the app never resolved.

The look and feel is very elegant in my humble opinion, and although there have been teething problems with syncing I think it works much better now it is continuous.

Maybe this is selfish because other people have been disrupted by the loss of features and I have not, but my fervent hope is that evernote keeps it simple, and keeps working on performance.

More features will be good if they appeal to lots of users, or they appeal to power users but are applied in such a way as they don't clutter/complicate the interface for the rest of us.

• Like 1

as for me ver.10 is totally not acceptable. it is so slow and incovenient!

lots of features are absent.

300kb note with simple text was opened for at least 20 seconds, then i just kill the app and installed older version.

evernote started to spoil ex-great app starting 2018.

6.7.6 was super fast, faster 3-4 times than 2019-2020 versions.

so, it is very pity that developers are driving to the wrong direction.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Richard Beddard said:

I agree too. The Windows version is is a bit laggy on my laptop but it's so much cleaner and appears to be speeding up. Oddly on my underpowered Microsoft Surface Go it performs well.

I have a lot of notes (38,956) but relatively simple notebook and tagging systems. There are a few things I miss or have not found yet - not having note tallies ironically, keyboard shortcuts for items in the insert menu - but overall I'm enjoying using evernote whereas in the past it has been a necessary pain due to regular freezes in Windows that new versions of the app never resolved.

The look and feel is very elegant in my humble opinion, and although there have been teething problems with syncing I think it works much better now it is continuous.

Maybe this is selfish because other people have been disrupted by the loss of features and I have not, but my fervent hope is that evernote keeps it simple, and keeps working on performance.

More feweatures will be good if they appeal to lots of users, or they appeal to power users but are applied in such a way as they don't clutter/complicate the interface for the rest of us.

I tried the Evernote Web implementation and it fits my workflow more or less, but I can't live without an export / archive function (HTML and ENEX). Is that already provided in the windows version?

• Level 5
On 10/21/2020 at 10:22 PM, Mark B. said:

The pen support combined with the new editor and mixed media types within the same note is great.

On 10/22/2020 at 8:23 AM, Jon/t said:

Another agree. Pen support is much better.

This is good to hear. I'm about to upgrade (finally) from Windows 7 to Win10, and expect to get a 2-in-1 tablet/laptop with a docking station. I've been concerned about pen support in Evernote, but this is encouraging.

@Mark B., can you say more about "mixed media types within the same note"? I'm used to being able to have, say, images and PDFs in the same note. What's new in v. 10?

2 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This is good to hear. I'm about to upgrade (finally) from Windows 7 to Win10, and expect to get a 2-in-1 tablet/laptop with a docking station. I've been concerned about pen support in Evernote, but this is encouraging.

You'll love the 2 in 1.... I didn't think I would and thought of the pen as a gimmick but I've found it really useful. Works as a powerpoint clicker as well :)

Pen support is way better but it's not OneNote where you can free draw and annotate over anything in a note... I hope with the new codebase they'll be able to build this in the future.

• Level 5
Just now, Jon/t said:

You'll love the 2 in 1.... I didn't think I would and thought of the pen as a gimmick but I've found it really useful. Works as a powerpoint clicker as well :)

Pen support is way better but it's not OneNote where you can free draw and annotate over anything in a note... I hope with the new codebase they'll be able to build this in the future.

Many thanks. I'm a writer, not a sketcher, but being able to hand-write on a note would indeed be useful some day; and if it can OCR my crappy handwriting now, being able to jot a quick note and later search for it and add to it will be great.

On 10/23/2020 at 1:59 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@Mark B., can you say more about "mixed media types within the same note"? I'm used to being able to have, say, images and PDFs in the same note. What's new in v. 10?

We can now add "sketch" (pen based) objects within a note mixed with other media types (text, images, pdf ...).  In the past pen based notes had to be created as a separate note (and note type) making it more difficult to consolidate meeting notes.    In addition, search will now search your pen based notes!  Love it!

• Thanks 1
On 10/22/2020 at 3:37 AM, Riggar said:

All that could have been achieved without completely destroying many existing workflows. 

Software needs to evolve and I would much rather have a few minor setbacks to keep the product moving forward then to have to completely change to another solution if Evernote were to go to maintenance mode or die.  I have been there with Products like Lotus Agenda, and Ecco Pro.  Build your workflow around legacy applications that don't change and you will need to start scratch at some point.  I applaud Evernote's approach.  It's the right thing to do.

In version 10 in the Polish edition, where can I edit shortcuts? The screenshot is assigned to the Polish letter ś - please fix it.

Adding tags doesn't work as before, I can't see what tags are being added to the note.

It is sucks.

I cannot work on this version. I have installed an older legacy version.

Releasing a version this underdeveloped only frustrates people.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:02 AM, Richard Beddard said:

keyboard shortcuts for items in the insert menu

There is currently only one keyboard shortcut for an item in the inset menu. That is Ctrl + Shift + - for a divider line. There are however some markdown style key sequences that give you some more:

3 dashes --- for a divider 

3 back ticks ``` for a code block (or text surrounded by single back ticks gives you inline code)

[][][][]x2 gives you a table with 4 columns and 2 rows

The most obvious omission is a check box as [] gives you a check list

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to say, the editor is a lot better.  It feels snappier, especially when working with images.  The default fonts were very well-chosen and look great.

If they just fix some of the silly little issues (my main one), I'll be a happy camper.

They probably knew this would be a painful (but necessary) update.  The patches are coming fast, which is definitely appreciated, so the team is listening.  Let's cut them some slack and try to stop raging so hard.

On 11/4/2020 at 3:50 PM, Mike P said:

[] gives you a check list

[x] gives you a checked one :)

What's the table creation code? It appears as strange boxes in the post to me.

I'm using the markdown shortcuts a LOT!

6 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

What's the table creation code? It appears as strange boxes in the post to me.

It's open square bracket then close square bracket just like the checklist. You just type as many as you want columns and add x4 if you want four rows. It actually woks in 6.25 as well but I never used it because it was so much easier to add a table using the menu.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Mike P said:

It's open square bracket then close square bracket just like the checklist. You just type as many as you want columns and add x4 if you want four rows. It actually woks in 6.25 as well but I never used it because it was so much easier to add a table using the menu.

Thanks... didn't know that.

Much easier to create tables.