Default fonts and templates

Mr.P

Idea

Default fonts:

There does not appear to be a way of changing the default fonts in a new note, is this correct, can it be reintroduced?

Templates:

Using a template to create a new note with previously applied styling saves time. However, if you add new text fields to the note they do not honour the template and revert to the original preset parameters. Is this correct, can this be reintroduced?

• Like 3

12 replies to this idea

Thanks for this response, Dave.  I was trying to figure out how to choose the default font.  Do you know if they are going to reintroduce a way to import new fonts?  There are instructions about how to do this using the old version of Evernote, but they didn't work for this one.

• Level 5
On 10/16/2020 at 2:08 PM, BHAMGRAHAM said:

Thanks for this response, Dave.  I was trying to figure out how to choose the default font.  Do you know if they are going to reintroduce a way to import new fonts?  There are instructions about how to do this using the old version of Evernote, but they didn't work for this one.

I have no idea what their future plans are, but the goal seems to be font consistency across platforms--which means precisely that a limited set of HTML-controlled fonts, not the system fonts from Windows or Mac (let alone customized/imported fonts), will be available. That's only my interpretation. Conceivably the set of fonts will increase over time. But I have a gloomy feeling that a choice among, say, Tahoma, Trebuchet, and Verdana is not in the offing.

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I have no idea what their future plans are, but the goal seems to be font consistency across platforms--which means precisely that a limited set of HTML-controlled fonts, not the system fonts from Windows or Mac (let alone customized/imported fonts), will be available. That's only my interpretation. Conceivably the set of fonts will increase over time. But I have a gloomy feeling that a choice among, say, Tahoma, Trebuchet, and Verdana is not in the offing.

Perhaps they take the view that EN is a note taking app so it doesn't need hundreds of different fonts. It isn't a word processor after all. If you need more complicated formating you can do it in Word and then attach the file. There is a spectrum between notepad at one end and Word at the other (or insert your favourite taxt editor and word prcessing app). Where on that spectrum should a note taking app sit? I would like to be able to sort tables for example. Best of all would be the ability to see other key document types (word, excel, even Google docs) inline as you can pdfs. So in my example if I really need to sort the table I could have an embedded spreadsheet which I would be able to see inline and only launch excel if I needed to edit it. That would be an absolute game changer for me.

• Like 3

The current set of fonts may suffice for Latin scripts but Asian scripts like Chinese or Japanese are defaulted to the serif font, which is not ideal for displays.

I do hope the font selection/ customization can be brought back somewhere somehow.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Thanks, @Mike P. I've been appreciating your insights the last couple of weeks. And you've absolutely hit where I live, because I've often said to others here who've wanted various types of formatting, pagination, etc., that it's called Evernote for a reason. So I'm in agreement with you, and properly chastened. The truth is I've rarely (but not never) used multiple Windows fonts in a note, and then of course they don't show up perfectly in Android. So I think your point is quite valid, and the matters of emphasis or subject-matter distinction that I wanted to get at with different fonts can be addressed in the new version with, say, text colors and highlights, plus the available fonts, which will display more or less uniformly across platforms. There may be enough font differentiation for folks who want to use fonts to differentiate within or between note, but not enough for people who seriously want better aesthetics, 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/13/2020 at 11:07 PM, Mr.P said:

There does not appear to be a way of changing the default fonts in a new note, is this correct, can it be reintroduced?

There never was a "default font in a new note";
just default display fonts for the platform
Notes by default have no font specifications at all
If you need default fonts in a new note, use a template with specific font specification

• Level 5*
On 10/13/2020 at 11:07 PM, Mr.P said:

Without splitting hairs the ability to manage fonts from a user perspective is now limited as compared to the old version.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
19 hours ago, DTLow said:

If you need default fonts in a new note, use a template with specific font specification

A good point. Except that the template will need to be created in the "legacy" version, n'est-ce pas, since I presume templates created in the new version will also have the limited font selection?

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Except that the template will need to be created in the "legacy" version, n'est-ce pas, since I presume templates created in the new version will also have the limited font selection?

The issue was assigning default fonts to a new note
Yes, font selection is limited in v10; the legacy version will provide more options for fonts

On 10/18/2020 at 2:38 PM, secangel said:

The current set of fonts may suffice for Latin scripts but Asian scripts like Chinese or Japanese are defaulted to the serif font, which is not ideal for displays.

I do hope the font selection/ customization can be brought back somewhere somehow.

"Not ideal" is a very mild way to put it.

On 10/18/2020 at 2:29 PM, Mike P said:

Perhaps they take the view that EN is a note taking app so it doesn't need hundreds of different fonts. It isn't a word processor after all. If you need more complicated formating you can do it in Word and then attach the file. There is a spectrum between notepad at one end and Word at the other (or insert your favourite taxt editor and word prcessing app). Where on that spectrum should a note taking app sit? I would like to be able to sort tables for example. Best of all would be the ability to see other key document types (word, excel, even Google docs) inline as you can pdfs. So in my example if I really need to sort the table I could have an embedded spreadsheet which I would be able to see inline and only launch excel if I needed to edit it. That would be an absolute game changer for me.

I guess the current EN team and I have very different ideas of what kind of app EN should be.
I have moved back to 6.25 and am preparing for the worst -- migrating my notes to another platform.

• Like 1