Sort by Reminder Date in Search Results/Saved Searches

aukirk

Idea

This is one of the few remaining big outstanding requests I had at the end of the Beta, which really impacts my personal workflow.

In the list view, search results should be sortable by any column... especially the Reminder Date.  I have a lot of saved searches for different types of reminders based on context, and you still can't sort by reminder date.  Going to the "All Notes/Reminders" tab is the only way I have found to sort by Reminder Date. 

This was something @gbarry previously indicated was being worked on back on 9/15, but it is disappointing to see it not in the 10.0 release.  Hopefully it is coming soon!

• Like 5

15 replies to this idea

Hi folks, 

I just upgraded to 10.8 on my MacBook and still can not sort by Reminder date. It only works when I see all notes at once or one notebook all at once. When I click on a stack or look at a search, I can not click on the Reminders View so then I can not sort that way. 

Since I use reminders to pulse all my work, this makes it hard to work since I work through my Reminders by date and time and then always have to take a second look as to which one comes next. It's easiest for that purpose to look at all reminders at once under the reminder-sorted Reminder View, but then I can't limit it to just today's reminders or reminders of a certain Stack (which are my different major projects). 

Anybody know if this will be addressed? I find a lot of notes on how this was addressed and has been fixed, but that is not what I experience. Did is get lost on the major upgrade end of last year again?

Thanks, Sonja

• Like 1

sorry, but your mentioned and linked contend isn't to see, at least for me.
(may be content from a closed forum or a beta-tester forum, where most of us might have no permission to read... screenshot instead ?!?)

• Like 1

Understood--we do have this in our sights, but some of this requires additional backend work that is underway. We intend to make any column you can add into list view sortable.

• Like 1

Maybe I am the only one out there missing the ability to have saved searches and sort them by reminder date, but I am disappointed to still not see this in the latest 10.2 for Mac.  They recently updated the iOS to 10.1 to provide the ability to sort search results, but that only allows you to sort them by relevance, title, create date or update date (like the Mac version).  Hopefully this is not a sign that devs have determined those four are good enough.

For my use case, I have a lot of saved searches that bring results for notes that have a reminder within certain time-frames that meat certain other criteria (i.e. contexts in GTD).  However, each of the results lists is now in a largely random order since they can not be displayed with the oldest reminders at the top.

Any update on adding the ability to sort by reminder date?  Or any of the columns displayed in list view?

• Like 2

@skirsten sadly... and quite ridiculously by the 8th generation of this v10.... you still can not sort search results or a note list by the reminder date (or any field other than created, updated and title).  This has been my #1 issue with v10 since the beta testing and it is more than a little concerning that they have not responded or fixed it by now, as I have assumed it was a bug.  (What sort of app has a clickable header that doesn't impact the sort.... very weird).

While this was previously a HUGE part of my workflow with saved searches created for different contexts, which I then sorted based on reminder date... to overcome this deficiency in v10, I have started adding a number to the beginning of the titles and sorting by title... I basically use a lower number for something that is the higher priority so they show near the top. 

This doesn't solve a search I run and want to sort based on future reminders, but it has at least gotten my by while (im)patiently waiting for them to fix this...

• Like 1
19 hours ago, aukirk said:

I have started adding a number to the beginning of the titles and sorting by title... I basically use a lower number for something that is the higher priority so they show near the top.

That's a great thought. I just figured out how to make my searches more narrow by reminder date, so I can view last week, today, next week, which helps with just having a few reminders at a time to look at. I use a manual notebook to sort my thoughts, so I've started listing the tasks there by priority, - I like the idea of just adding numbers in the note title in addition. Since I go back and forth between electronic and my open notebook, that would probably be helping me focus the best on what is most important to get done next. Thanks for sharing that thought.

• Like 1

I wholly agree. I am amazed this hasn't been implemented, since it would be natural to be able to sort on any column that you can display. i cannot understand why it would be omitted.

Please Evernote can you ensure you can sort on all the columns as one could in the legacy version, especially the reminder date.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, iceman melb said:

I agree, very disappointing that Sort by reminder due date is STILL not there in Evernote 10. It is in Legacy version.

Provided you are on the rwminders tab you can sort by reminder date.

image.png.006e8fd64add3549257151647d880952.png

14 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Provided you are on the rwminders tab you can sort by reminder date.

There are no the reminder tab or "sort by reminder date" in search results.

Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 14.45.51.png

45 minutes ago, Walder said:

There are no the reminder tab or "sort by reminder date" in search results.

I realised after I had posted that this was the problem and was just coming back to correct myself. The problem, as you rightly say, is that you don't get the remiders tab in a search. The best you can do is to filter for those notes in the search containing reminders but you still can't sort them. Alternatively you can use the search syntax to pull up a date range or remiders you are interested in.