v6.19.0 1643 beta - no preferences at all?!

Bryn26

I installed the beta today, and I see I cannot access Evernote preferences anymore in the Windows app. I want to disable the spell check because it has been enabled suddenly and is making the entire app borderline unusable to me. Red lines everywhere make for a deeply unpleasant experience. Even if it was possible to add items to the spell checking dictionary, the nature of my work would make that a pointless endeavor.

Can this please be updated urgently? I find it absurd that such a basic setting is not available. I've looked around my online account settings and the app's options, and I see nothing to this effect. 'Save data at log out' is the only preference for the app.

App details:
v6.19.0 1643 beta 
Editor: v107.1.13786
Service: v1.19.6
Evernote tier: Premium

Thanks. Regards, Bryn.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, pemaje said:

I'm running the 6.17 beta and don't have the preferences either...😔

It is distressing that multiple beta updates have occurred without such a simple feature being added. Thanks for your input. 

In my opinion, Evernote should not be inviting users to participate in a beta when the software is better described as in an alpha state.

If much needed updates haven't occurred yet I assume they will take much longer to arrive. I'll uninstall the beta then and reinstall the regular Evernote app. 

• Like 1

I don't have a lot of the features that come with Evernote natively with the beta test I have either. I thought it was supposed to override my regular Evernote, but instead it's standalone? Makes me kind of confused. But hey, loving the new features...just missing the old ones lol.

v 6.19.0 build 1643 beta
Editor: v107.1.13786
Service: v1.19.6

Also

-can't create new tags 

-it runs noticeably slower than non beta, I find myself waiting instead of typing as soon as a hit create note

-the search feature doesn't work as well.  I use to lord this over workmates as we have Microsoft version of Notes at work

2 of 3 issues were minor, but not adding tags is a game breaker.  uninstalling the beta + reinstalling old version.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I'm running the released version - not beta - on Mac - and there are no Preferences. Preferences is "stuck" with only one option - "Save Data at Log Out", and if I de-select that it will remove data from this device at log out.

• Like 3

I can understand your frustrations. I've tried Notion and its very flexible. It requires a lot of work to get it doing what you need. I'll stick with Evernote for the time being. It would be great if a company representative could respond to the numerous concerns that loyal Evernote users are raising. It would be a great pity if Evernote were to lose lots of customers simply because they don't respond to the concerns being expressed. It strikes me as a huge waste of money to upgrade the product only to see users disappearing out of the door.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm now using the latest Beta programme v 10.2.1 build 1917 beta Editor: v110.0.14310 Service: v1.21.1 © 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. and the preferences option is still unavailable. We can only assume that things will be sorted before too long.

Well I might as well enter my dissatisfaction as well.  There are no preferences.  The default font is not good if you have poor eyesight and I can't figure out how to change the default. As far as I can tell, Evernote is more interested in a "clean look," so the way they clean it up is by removing all menu options.  This is not an improvement

Accessibility particularly for those with sight impairments should. be a default requirement. I've fed-back on several occasions that some of the fonts are difficult because of the use of the colour grey which does not provide a high enough colour contrast. Have you tried it in dark mode? The lack of preferences is an ongoing issue for many of us and it is to be hoped this gets resolved as soon as possible.

Evernote Mac user here, updated thinking we'd finally get the Windows features like being able to specify note merge options (like show title, separator line, etc) and remove formatting, etc.

Incredibly disappointed, angry even, to see the preferences window and all advanced options gone.

They did move a few settings to the actual user interface (like setting default notebook: click notebook, 3 dots, default) but there's so many important options that are now missing, that have not been otherwise implemented in the UI.

So many other products at least make preferences/advanced settings button visible when holding down the OPTION key and pressing the menu bar file menu. I can see there is some OPTION key functionality added to the menu bar, but nothing helpful.

THE PREFERENCES WINDOW, WITH ALL THE MORE "ADVANCED" TOGGLES AND OPTIONS, NEEDS TO BE RE-ENABLED. PLEASE. I just paid for a year of premium about 1 month ago.

Screenshot (SafeInCloud Password Manager) 2020-11-01 at 18.09.53.png

• Like 2
On 11/3/2020 at 10:51 AM, gyrex said:

I've just updated to v10 on a Mac and there's no preferences! What a stupid decision to remove it! Are there any workarounds?

Yes, I have found a very effective workaround:

Go to AppSumo and buy the lifetime account for Nimbus Notes.

Dropping in to say I'm experiencing the same problem and asking Evernote team to solve this ASAP.

I updated to the lastest version on Windows (on the 8th of Nov 2020): Evernote 10.2.4 , for Windows.  (NOTE: This is NOT a beta).
Still no preferences, still impossible to remove spell check, making the text unreadable. Can't even add words to the dictionary, there's nothing.

This is being a big issue, I hope it is solved soon, I'm experiencing this both in English and Italian.
I've attached a snapshot to show how obnoxious this is.

snapshot.PNG.81d24a72e3431d7fb8cc0123d716833d.PNG

• Like 1
On 11/5/2020 at 3:05 AM, Bryn26 said:

Yes, I have found a very effective workaround:

Go to AppSumo and buy the lifetime account for Nimbus Notes.

Per the recommendations on the previous posts, I've started migrating over to Notion. I checked out Nimbus but there's some pretty major restrictions with their free account unfortunately.

Nothing new here except that I wanted to add my voice to the call to restore this (ability to modify application behavior using preferences) functionality. I've always thought of Evernote as a product for people whose note taking requirements exceed what other software such as MS Word can provide. To me this implies a reasonably tech-savvy user. If this change in direction is deliberate, it seems to indicate that Evernote is moving down-market tech-savviness-wise. I hope this thread and perhaps others will convince them to reverse course. If not, I'll be checking out the alternatives mentioned above.

Anyway, just my two cents worth.

Cheers

• Like 2

I will add my voice to please bring back some preferences.

Further, my most frequent use case is to use the keyboard shortcut to open a new note, 
so I can paste something into a note and save it. 

Now I am getting "scratch pad", that tells me I am trying to paste too much text, convert to note saved the 
scratch and but I am unable to dump my cut and paste buffer into a new note.

I can only assume there's either a technical reason or that Evernote have decided that it's a low priority for most users so they have not updated the preferences as a matter of urgency. I agree with the other correspondents Preferences is an important part of keeping control over the way Evernote works and looks so the sooner it is restored the better it is for all of us.

• Like 1

(v10.3.7, Win10) Adding to this sad topic: as we can't modify the preferences writing certain characters is not possible at all (in any app) while Evernote is running. E.g. alt+S is needed to write in Polish (and there are other languages that need this combination) - but Evernote captures that and starts taking a screen shot. The only workaround so far: close the Evernote while typing :(

• Like 1

I updated to the new version yesterday and Evernote has been unusable since I can't setup my preferences. I am writing in another language, I have different time formats, my database is stored in a different location, I need different hotkeys and bunch of other settings. Please fix this as soon as possible. I can't deal with a "dumb" version of Evernote, it's useless.

How did this even go past testing phase? It's the most important part of the app, how did people that are payed to test something miss that the settings are missing? How is that even possible? If you can't set up the program the way you need to, how can you even use it? I will be considering leaving Evernote after this blunder. This is unacceptable. I would have understanding if it was some minor bug, but to miss that you can't access the preferences, that's something not even a freshman software engineer would do.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:50 PM, MichalS said:

(v10.3.7, Win10) Adding to this sad topic: as we can't modify the preferences writing certain characters is not possible at all (in any app) while Evernote is running. E.g. alt+S is needed to write in Polish (and there are other languages that need this combination) - but Evernote captures that and starts taking a screen shot. The only workaround so far: close the Evernote while typing :(

I have the same problem. Polish chracters with ALT, i.e. ALT+S do not work due to evernote global shortcuts. The are no preferences accessible in the new evernote version for Windows - Evernote 10.3.7.

I redownloaded evernote after not using it for several months. I've overall been very disappointed with it, and I updated today to find the preferences menu gone! Did a quick google search and found this thread, turns out this issue has been there for months with no response?

I've been using notion for a while now, and while it takes a while to set everything up, at least it all works and the devs respond when there's issues. I was hoping to use evernote because of its tagging system, but looks like that won't be an option.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no access to preferences?  I installed old version and may be time to look for other options.  The annual price increase some years back irked me, but haven't taken the time to migrate to something else.   I've also noticed more conflicts in my notes with the new version between my mac and iphone.

This update is probably Evernote's most absurd move yet, trying (and failing miserably) to be the Apple of notetaking apps. The fact that this software doesn't even have preferences when they charge people a premium fee is about as much as I'm willing to take from this company. I have been struggling watching Evernote get worse and worse by the year over the past five years. It's heartbreaking, and very very frustrating from a business and personal standpoint, but I do not trust this company anymore, I do not think they deserve our money anymore, because they clearly have no idea how to develop software, and I think we all better switch to a company that has some common sense. Because this one has clearly lost any and all it had left. The way this software/company treats its customers is an insult to basic human intelligence. 

The fact that NOBODY, and I mean LITERALLY NOBODY from the company ever replies anywhere or addresses people's questions in this forum is just another example of the absolute mismanagement of resources at this company. 

Goodbye Evernote. You will forever be remembered as the software that started out great but has devolved into incoherent nonsense which I now warn people not to touch with a ten foot pole. I'm cancelling my subscription right now and will be asking for my money back.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got this reply from support as I have a premium subscription

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to Evernote Customer Support. This is Jen, and I'll be assisting you today.

I understand that preferences menu is no longer showing after you updated your Evernote.

We haven’t yet built this feature into the new Evernote app. This feature is on our to-do list and we plan on building it soon.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Jennifer D.
Customer Support Representative

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You haven't yet added Preferences to the app???

Why did you release it then? I did not install a beta, I have the production version.

Every day when I start it, it puts up a blocking popup telling me there is a new version available.

v 10.5.7 build 2171 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2

I was curious what was up with Preferences too.

Disclaimer: Changing p-list files is dangerous and will break apps. Just letting you know what I've found, I strongly recommend against changing anything, and doing so is at your own risk.

I figured even if the preferences UI is missing, the app still needs to load settings. On macOS, an app's settings are often stored in p-list (property list) files under a user's ~/Library directory. Evernote's is at ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.Evernote.plist. Running plutil -p ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.Evernote.plist in Terminal will print (not change) how the app is configured, and those are likely the settings that the Preferences window would manipulate when built, until more settings are added.

I don't see anything in there about spell checking, So I assume that's using the macOS system setting (System Preferences > Keyboard).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since I've updated Evernote with the new beta Tasks I cannot do the simplest note or any other task on Evernote. The Tasks advert is all over the show and none of the normal buttons work, including the new Task functions!

What should I do? Uninstall and forget about testing?

Still no update or response from Evernote on this?    I have decided to go with another note app as soon as my current subscription expires.  I'm tired of things not working and the clunkiness of the sync between my phone and computer, it's constantly having conflicting notes.   Things have gotten worse over the last 6 months, not better.