Manual Sync Button

Steveapc

• Level 5*

What version is this? I have 7.14 on my mac, and it is the latest and the sync button is there.

If it is gone from a future version, I wholeheartedly agree, it needs to be there. I am careful on my machines (Windows and Mac) to do a final manual refresh and wait until it stops spinning until I suspend either laptop. I cannot afford to have notes orphaned on one machine because it didn't sync.

• Like 1

I'm going through my notes and updating/deleting but, if I make any changes, the cursor jumps back to the top of the notes list. I then have to spend ages finding the last note I looked at so I can carry on. How do I turn off auto sync while I'm doing this? I'm using a Macbook with the latest OS.

Edit: I don't think it's sync. I turned the internet off and it still did it. I'll add a separate tag to a selection as I go and deal with them from there in smaller sections.

• Level 5*
On 8/28/2020 at 3:42 PM, RobinM said:

I'm going through my notes and updating/deleting but, if I make any changes, the cursor jumps back to the top of the notes list. I then have to spend ages finding the last note I looked at so I can carry on. How do I turn off auto sync while I'm doing this? I'm using a Macbook with the latest OS.

Edit: I don't think it's sync. I turned the internet off and it still did it. I'll add a separate tag to a selection as I go and deal with them from there in smaller sections.

Change your sort to be on the updated column so it is always at the top/bottom, whichever. You may have it sorting on title and it alphabetically just vanishes on you going to where it needs to be.

On 9/2/2020 at 10:03 AM, EdH said:

Change your sort to be on the updated column so it is always at the top/bottom, whichever. You may have it sorting on title and it alphabetically just vanishes on you going to where it needs to be.

Of course! That did cross my mind sometime during the night but I hadn't got round to trying it. But, of course that's it. It works just as I want. Thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really need the sync button back. The mac almost never syncs the notes correctly and now I have 15 copies of the same note.  I cannot diff them without a third party program.  The sync button was a lifesaver. I am super disappointed.

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I only found this thread because I am SO DONE with Evernote that I am trying to export my notes to OneNote so I can cancel my subscription. How fitting that I am unable to use the import feature because my notes aren't properly synced, and I can't manually sync from my Mac! FFS Evernote. I was just trialling OneNote initially, but this has me committed to cancelling Evernote. They just don't listen to users. 

I can't figure out how to manually sync on the iOS app. On the iPhone app, one has to tap the menu button at the bottom right, go to the settings wheel icon on top, tap "sync" and then tap "sync now".

Someone thought of this brilliant idea and is being paid for it. Here's some free advice from a longtime premium user: Put a button at the top of both the desktop and mobile app in a prominent place so a user can simply tap once to sync and get on with their lives. I'm getting over 10 sync errors per day and ain't nobody got time for that. I'm seriously thinking of ditching Evernote over this. C'mon, guys!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Also agreeing with this topic. Sync button needs to be there. While you're at it, why not make all Evernote apps exactly the same across all OS's? Windows has sync, Mac doesn't, iPhone does etc.. Lots of other options removed on Mac though compared to Windows.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Plus one

i did a ton of changes hours ago on my win version.. pop over to mac - they're not syncing.. further more the stuff i DID update duplicated itself and cause 2 of the same file. new mac version seems to have some serious sync issues.

• Level 5

EN syncs everything through the server. There is no direct sync between devices.

My experience is that the upsync from the device where a note was edited happens fast. So the active device and the server usually are in sync.

Where I experienced lag in the past was the downsync: From the server to other devices. This sometimes took several minutes, up to half an hour, maybe a little more.

This was significantly improved by some of the last releases. So first hint: Check on which versions you are running. Mobile should be on v10.19, desktop and web client on 10.23 or 10.22.

The next issue can be a problem in the local database. To sort it out on a Mac, try this:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q)
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 
If you have any further problems, check on the web client if the upsync has worked. Then contact support.

• Like 1