Your current browser configuration is blocking Evernote from opening

Has anyone come across this error message? I am using Chrome Canary (Version 86.0.4238.2 (Official Build) canary (64-bit)).

Suddenly appeared when I tried to open Evernote Web in Chrome Canary (it used to work before). If I switch to standard Chrome I have no difficulties opening Evernote Web.

Evernote-Web.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I guess something got updated and the block slammed down.  If a system restart doesn't fix this, try setting up a new profile in the browser.  If that doesn't help,  you need to start fiddling with settings to try and find a cure...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I've also been having this problem since moving to the EverNote Web V6.18 version. The message appears even after daily re-boots. Using the web version of EverNote on Win8 laptop and Firefox 80.0.1 (64-bit) in private mode.

I'd love to know which browser settings are causing the problem.

The new version of EverNote works using Chrome in incognito mode.

(Could this be a strategy to get people to use Google products?)

• Level 5*
On 9/8/2020 at 10:51 AM, arrivisto said:

I'd love to know which browser settings are causing the problem.

Hi.  Unless someone else is willing to post their individual fix,  you're unlikely to get more on this.  We're a -mainly- user-supported forum;  there's no special inside knowledge here,  just long... bitter... experience....

On 9/8/2020 at 10:51 AM, arrivisto said:

(Could this be a strategy to get people to use Google products?)

Don't see that Evernote would care much...

• 1 month later...

Would love to know if anyone got this sorted out. This is a problem for me on Vivaldi, as well. Reboot does the trick, but as soon as I close and reopen the browser, I'm blocked again. At this point I don't know if the problem is the newest version of Evernote or Vivaldi.

5 minutes ago, Felix Hemanth said:

I tried reboot and still the same issue. I think this could be a bug.

Reboot doesn't fix it? It does mine, but only for one browser session. I'm using Vivaldi as a browser. I don't have this problem in Firefox.

1 minute ago, gozzilla78 said:

Just would like to add that the same happens to me, on latest stable Chromium on Linux Mint 20, ThinkPad W530. Evernote Web works fine on other Chromium machines I have, including other Linux machines. Very odd!

The plot thickens. Annoying problem. I've been keeping my browser open after a reboot, but obviously that won't work forever. Very mysterious issue, this.

4 hours ago, LaFlamme said:

The plot thickens. Annoying problem. I've been keeping my browser open after a reboot, but obviously that won't work forever. Very mysterious issue, this.

a quick update: this morning I refreshed snapd and found an update for Chromium (on Linux Mint 20 here) -- fingers crossed, but it everything seems to be back to normal (did I mentioned issues with Gmail too? yesterday I could only use Gmail's legacy HTML interface...)

a quick update: this morning I refreshed snapd and found an update for Chromium (on Linux Mint 20 here) -- fingers crossed, but it everything seems to be back to normal (did I mentioned issues with Gmail too? yesterday I could only use Gmail's legacy HTML interface...)

So, that implies that it's a browser thing, right? Makes me think I should be checking for Vivaldi updates. Something in Evernote's latest release must have broken it for certain browsers. Evernote goes years without giving me any grief, but I use it so much, that any grief at all is going to be life impacting. Glad you got yours sorted, anyway.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, arekszmuc said:

I had the same problem. The chrome upgrade did not fix it, but reboot after chrome upgrade helped (on Ubuntu 20.04).

But if you shut down the browser and start it back up, does it still work? Mine doesn't survive a restart.

For what it's worth, today I popped open my browser (Vivaldi) and Evernote web was working fine. I have no idea what fixed it. There have been no Vivaldi updates, so I suppose it must have been on the EN end of things. Whatever. Happy to have it back again, but still waiting for the Linux client.

• Level 5

Somebody is blocking EN. So why not ask this somebody ?

Or switch the browser. EN web client is running fine on many browsers, one can not expect it to run on any browser. Some browsers may lack certain capabilities, others may use security features that stop EN from executing. EN can not make sure each browser developer is up to the job.

If you want this commented by EN, you can issue a support ticket, and Post the answer here.

23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Or switch the browser. EN web client is running fine on many browsers, one can not expect it to run on any browser. Some browsers may lack certain capabilities, others may use security features that stop EN from executing. EN can not make sure each browser developer is up to the job.

If you want this commented by EN, you can issue a support ticket, and Post the answer here.

Why you say that with such a patronizing tone? We're speaking about Chromium stable here my friend, not some obscure browser. I imagine (or should I say, I hope??) that all developers are full-steam working on resolving much more pressing issues with other versions, so would like to avoid as much as possible to issue one more ticket in this dramatic moment for our beloved EN...

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Well, I could understand if it simply failed to work in Vivaldi, but for many years, it worked just fine. We're offered this vague message about our browser configuration, but no hints at all about what part of that configuration might be contributing to the issue. It's just odd.

Why you say that with such a patronizing tone? We're speaking about Chromium stable here my friend, not some obscure browser. I imagine (or should I say, I hope??) that all developers are full-steam working on resolving much more pressing issues with other versions, so would like to avoid as much as possible to issue one more ticket in this dramatic moment for our beloved EN...

Exactly this. Nobody's really crying about this problem, but it's damn strange, considering EN web has worked for years without issue and suddenly there's this ominous warning about browser configurations. For me, this thread was helpful just in letting me know that it wasn't my problem alone. I'm inclined to wait it out, but it's always good to hear what experiences others are having.

• Level 5

@gozzilla78 Sorry, wasn’t meant offending.

When I last used the web client on one of my Raspberry Pi’s using the preinstalled Chromium, everything worked just fine. So I assume that it is not the simple combination of EN + Chromium causing problems. Nobody knows your setting, your extensions, etc.

You again assume that there must be something fixed by EN. And I again assume there may be nothing to fix on their side.

So we agree to disagree. Hope it starts working for you again. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Browser issues are nothing really new.

Web content develops, browsers develop, OSes are changed. Sometimes a minor change can cause an active browser content like the web client to stall. When Safari 13 got released 1 year ago, we had to go for weeks without web clipper. It worked on Firefox and Chrome, so it was obvious that the issue was related to Safari.

If you want to bring this to the attention of EN, the way to do it is a support ticket. I doubt somebody is filtering this thread and says „Oh look, there is a Vivaldi problem we need to fix“.

If the devs at EN are overwhelmed or sitting idle does not concern me. I think they know how to manage their backlog.

For those who may be interested. As I said, it's only on one Linux box that I experience these blocks. It worked three times now (kinda reproducible behavior) if I first "killall" chromium processes from terminal, and then relaunch Chromium. Hope this helps.

11 minutes ago, gozzilla78 said:

For those who may be interested. As I said, it's only on one Linux box that I experience these blocks. It worked three times now (kinda reproducible behavior) if I first "killall" chromium processes from terminal, and then relaunch Chromium. Hope this helps.

Interesting. I'll give that a go the next time it happens. Right now, it's working for me. This morning, it didn't. Goofy.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, SurJames3 said:

Getting the same error message on Firefox as well. And, just for more fun, after the 10 upgrade, I can see my notes in the side panel, view their history, but I am unable to open any notes at all - just get a blank white page.

Man. This problem went away for me after a while without explanation. I'm pretty sure nothing I did is what fixed it. Must have been an update on either the EN or browser end. Who knows. Mysterious stuff. Hope you get it sorted.

• 3 months later...

I worked with the new web version all the time. But suddenly this message appeared and now I can't switch to the new version again.

It happened from one minute to the other, without any browser or system update, in the same browser session.

Version 89.0.4389.90 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit) under Linux

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I am experiencing the same issue, but I know the cause and there's nothing Evernote, Google or anyone outside of my work can do. It's my work purposely blocking Evernote or some protocol at least. If someone knows of another protocol I could use I'm all ears. The same block stops me from using the desktop as well. What sucks is that my alternative is Google Workplace and Google Keep is not a sufficient replacement.

Oddly, they haven't blocked Craft.do, which I'm using for now until they find that too. I just don't understand what is insecure about Evernote in this scenario (using the Web). Even with the Desktop I think it should be the same as it's just an Electron wrapper around the web. 

What's sad is I was gaining momentum and reenergized to use Evernote for work. For home I just use Evernote as my digital filing cabinet. I just would like to have everything in one place, but the Gods have foiled me yet again!

To echo Pink Elephant above: This is not an Evernote, Chrome or any other browser problem. When you run into this, check with your IT department and see if they'll unblock it. For me to do the same would require a request in some arcane system, first born, sacrifice a lamb and who knows what all else, and 10 years later I'll have access! Sorry, just venting on the last day of the year for work. I was hoping to get myself set up for the start of the new year. 

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

If it is allowed, you could use a VPN to connect through the network barriers.

The alternative is to bring along a mobile device, and avoid to connect it to the workplaces WiFi. I know, I did it for 5 years. The advantage is that your employer can’t see what you are doing at all. On his own network he could do a metadata / traffic data analysis, even if the content would be encrypted TLS/SSL.

Thanks for the ideas PinkElephant, but the Government frowns on other VPNs being used. And if it were encrypted end to end and at rest (which I believe EN can be) it would be easier to get it approved. Still I'm not holding my breath for this to get through. The only issue with using my own equipment (which is definitely possible), is getting at the information from my work laptop (both home and work are Macbook Pro's). I'm mostly looking at storing daily notes and research etc. But that would separate it from my work and make it hard to link anything work related. Still it is giving me something to think about...

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

For anything you install to control network behavior you are responsible yourself. I know it is sometimes complex, but since there are a lot of products and services out there, it is hard to advise from here.

You can just switch all extensions, firewalls and watchdogs off, try if it works, and switch them back on one by one. When it stops working, you found your culprit.

I run a quite secure home network, see nearly no ads, keep trackers at bay and have no problem with EN, clients, web and clipper work nicely.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
52 minutes ago, Bradly F said:

I noticed that my Norton Anti Track was blocking this but, selecting the option to "Allow tracking & profiling for this site" did not solve the problem. 

From what you share it looks like you could try allowing fonts.googleapis.com and bing.com and see if that fixes things.  Otherwise I think you'll need support from Norton.

• Level 5

Just to mention it: The EN web client neither makes use of Google fonts nor of the Bing search engine.

This message is not related to Evernote.com, at least not on a clean browser. I think there is a lot of stuff installed on this system, like the snake oil applications from Norton. Probably the „security“ stuff is working one against the other, not unusual for this *****.