I'm a short story writer who is new to Evernote. I'm having issues with the tab/indent. I want to start a paragraph with an indent but I just want the beginning to be indented versus the whole paragraph having an indent. 

Is there a way to have it that way instead of clicking the space bar five times? It's kind of annoying have to do that. Is there a way to indent the first line versus the whole paragraph?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Just hit 'tab' on the keyboard?  Or - since the overall editing capabilities of Evernote are not great (though they are allegedly currently working on that...) - you could use another app with more options and attach the output file to a note so you have the convenience of access anywhere you can open Evernote.  NB editing on another device will only be possible if the app you used is also available there.

(If you need the content of your note added to the search index,  just copy and paste the finished version before you close.)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I too would love an answer to being able to simply hit the tab key to indent the first line of the paragraph.  It's 9 months after the original post, hopefully someone is tracking this.  Seems like an easy solution, but I don't program.

• Level 5

EN is build on a simple editor, designed to work in a lean fashion for note taking. Plain, simple notes, no bells & whistles.

For every more advanced editing feature switch to a word processor, and attach the document to a note. Word processors use an elaborate ruler mechanism for tab stops, indents and the like. I assume that EN is not going to implement something similar just to increase the „neatness“ of notes.

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2021 at 5:13 PM, PinkElephant said:

EN is build on a simple editor, designed to work in a lean fashion for note taking. Plain, simple notes, no bells & whistles.

For every more advanced editing feature switch to a word processor, and attach the document to a note. Word processors use an elaborate ruler mechanism for tab stops, indents and the like. I assume that EN is not going to implement something similar just to increase the „neatness“ of notes.

I came looking for a solution to this tab/indent issue as well.  I've seen several of these topics, and in most of them I see this same statement about Evernote being a "simple editor" without advanced features.  This is not a reasonable answer or excuse.  Windows Notepad handles this tab/indent issue correctly, and as editors go it does not get much simpler than Notepad.  

That the Tab key generates an indent event is a conscious developer choice.  The Tab key works correctly when used in the middle of text.  It inserts a tab character.  It is only at the beginning of a paragraph that the Tab key causes an indentation.  If text is copied from another editor into Evernote, Evernote strips out any tabs at the beginning of paragraphs, but not tabs within the text.  

Adding my voice to those that would like to see the Tab key work in Evernote like it does in every other text editor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Chanticrow said:

Adding my voice to those that would like to see the Tab key work in Evernote like it does in every other text editor.

The legacy versions aren't being supported,  so your other post on this for v10 is more relevant - but you already pointed out a simple work-around: use another text editor and attach the working file to a note.  That way you get access to all the other standard features of a full editor - fonts,  styles,  footnotes etc - which are also not currently available in Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
10 hours ago, gazumped said:

The legacy versions aren't being supported,  so your other post on this for v10 is more relevant - but you already pointed out a simple work-around: use another text editor and attach the working file to a note.  That way you get access to all the other standard features of a full editor - fonts,  styles,  footnotes etc - which are also not currently available in Evernote.

If the devs want the tab key to work as an indent, so be it.  I've just started doing some formal writing recently that requires first line indention.  I'm also traveling a lot.  Writing in Evernote is convenient across a desktop, a Chromebook, and a phone.  It is my go-to for most everything.  However, I'm so used to the tab key working as a tab in every other program I use that I'm ready to punch my screen every time I try to tab in Evernote and shift my whole paragraph. 

The file attachment recommendation is not mine, btw.  Attaching a file with the active content defeats the purpose of using Evernote.  It requires the file to be downloaded, edited, and reuploaded to Evernote.   Evernote allows the user to work anywhere.  If the user could use Word or some other writing program anywhere then the user would not need Evernote. 

If I've come across as angry, I apologize.  I'm frustrated at the tool.  If I wanted an paragraph indent, I would use a paragraph indent.  The paragraph indent and the tab key are entirely different functions, and I do not understand why Evernote works differently.  Especially when the tab key works as expected within the text body, just not at the beginning of the paragraph.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Chanticrow said:

It requires the file to be downloaded, edited, and reuploaded to Evernote.

That's true; download, re-upload is required
However, it's transparent because Evernote handles this automatically

>> If the user could use Word or some other writing program anywhere then the user would not need Evernote. 

Evernote's my note storage tool
I'm with the external editors camp when I need extended features

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

This is exactly my current problem with Evernote. It used to be that they had this feature, but after the new UI redesign, a tab now indents everything. I complained about this months ago, and since the customer service is so horrible that I can't get a serious reply from anyone about it, it will probably be the reason I cancel my Evernote subscription after using it for years. This is probably the most basic thing for a typing application to have, and the only thing Level 5 moderators seem to latch on is that "Evernote is not a text editor", when it clearly functions as that.

Is there any actual fix to this issue yet? Is it in the pipeline to add the feature to change this? At this point, there's no point in spending money to use Evernote when something that any other platform offers for free can do this simple task.

Waiting to hear more on how this is being resolved.

On 11/3/2021 at 2:52 PM, Chanticrow said:

If the devs want the tab key to work as an indent, so be it.  I've just started doing some formal writing recently that requires first line indention.  I'm also traveling a lot.  Writing in Evernote is convenient across a desktop, a Chromebook, and a phone.  It is my go-to for most everything.  However, I'm so used to the tab key working as a tab in every other program I use that I'm ready to punch my screen every time I try to tab in Evernote and shift my whole paragraph. 

The file attachment recommendation is not mine, btw.  Attaching a file with the active content defeats the purpose of using Evernote.  It requires the file to be downloaded, edited, and reuploaded to Evernote.   Evernote allows the user to work anywhere.  If the user could use Word or some other writing program anywhere then the user would not need Evernote. 

If I've come across as angry, I apologize.  I'm frustrated at the tool.  If I wanted an paragraph indent, I would use a paragraph indent.  The paragraph indent and the tab key are entirely different functions, and I do not understand why Evernote works differently.  Especially when the tab key works as expected within the text body, just not at the beginning of the paragraph.

I 100% agree. This is why I'm going to cancel my subscription. This has been an issue for over a year now. Why would I use Evernote as storage when Google Docs does the same thing for free?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ForgetfulElephant said:

I can't get a serious reply from anyone about it

Have you contacted Support?

Is there any actual fix to this issue yet? Is it in the pipeline to add the feature to change this? At this point, there's no point in spending money to use Evernote

Evernote (like most big software companies) famously do not share whether or when they'll be releasing any specific feature.  The deal is: work with what you have,  or find another provider.

This has been an issue for over a year now.

AFAIK this is the only thread on this issue with (so far) about 6 users involved

Why would I use Evernote as storage when Google Docs does the same thing for free?

If all you're looking for is storage,  Google should be fine.  Good luck with that.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Probably I will never understand why people seem to have found their perfect solution, but instead of using it they insist another app must do exactly the same.

If all devs would follow this war cry, we would end up with a ton of bloatware instead of lean and usable apps.

Well done EN to strip the editor down from being a word processor or page layouter - and at the same time adding features important for note taking and "mind processing".

• 1 month later...

rather like how i cant seem to grok why you see people asking for a very basic formatting technique of any word processer, which evernote undeniably is, and think you have to browbeat them like a ***** eltingville club reject.

EN doesn't handle long form text very well, so my approach is to use an external app (Google Docs/Word) as the creation and editing tool and use EN as the document store.

Also I find it's too frustrating trying to cut or extract text from EN to other apps due to the need to re-format each end.

@Chanticrow My advice (as you are using Chromebook as one of your devices) would be to use Googledocs for drafting etc. Its as stable as EN, has all the formatting and can be used offline, I tend to just keep specific drafts or final versions in EN that might needed for reference.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I killed a post here because it was a largely incoherent rant.  If you want to express an opinion or ask a question,  please do so remembering that most of us here are just users trying to help with queries and work-arounds.  Keep it simple and polite please...   

• Haha 1