How to organise our small firms filling systemw/evernote

translog

Hello,

We have a simple small business in the logistics field, our storage facility is getting larger and larger with small storage boxes filled with vanila folders which each represent one cargo move (work oder).

To eliminate all of this paper I truly feel that evernote can help, so far i've used a premium account with success but to truly get this running I need to be able to let all of our logistic coordinators and billing personel to be able to scan and email related docs and ect to one main inbox that would be sharable and then simly tag each document or email with each work order number which would essentially group all required cargo notes, invoices, email, quotations for that file or Work order.

Can this be done in Evernote premium? I just, on a trial basis openned evernote business but don't see the merrits or how that could be done.

To simplify, one sharable searchable inbox that everyone in the firm can upload all relative documents to, that can be tagged per work order i.e. 135778

Would really appreciate your feedback.

Best  - Pierre

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, translog said:

Can this be done in Evernote premium? ... one sharable searchable inbox that everyone in the firm can upload all relative documents to, that can be tagged per work order i.e. 135778

I don't see any problem using a shared notebook
Warning; only the notebook owner can add new tags

DTLow,

Thank you fo rthe quick response.

So from what you are saying we can go premium for all users, and each user shares their filling notebook with each other, theres no way to have one main notebook reposittory that I can admin.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, translog said:

each user shares their filling notebook with each other, theres no way to have one main notebook reposittory that I can admin.

I think you can work with either one central notebook or multiple notebooks
Each user notebook solves the "new tag" problem

Don't get hung up on the one/multiple notebook thing
A search on tag work order 135778 delivers all the notes; the notebook isn't significant

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, translog said:

Would prefer one main notebook.

Actually, I prefer the notebook for each user, just for the tag thing

>>Is there a firm or someone who can offer their services to set this up for us?

None that I know of.  Usually the work is assigned to an admin assistant

The Evernote contact for Business accounts is https://evernote.com/business/contact-us

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, translog said:

Just tryng to wrap my head around it. Would prefer one main notebook. Is there a firm or someone who can offer their services to set this up for us?

Focus would be on one master account that you control and share with the others, as many notebooks as make sense to you.  Warning though, data integrity could become a problem with this many hands in the stew.  There aren't any real checks and balances for data entry with EN.  Now if everyone emails to your account and you do the tagging work that would help.  That and having some specific methods/rules for entry and access.  Things like this tend to get a life of their own as folks ask for more.

There are software packages that do this stuff as I am sure you are aware, cost differential for sure.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Warning though, data integrity could become a problem with this many hands in the stew.

That's why I like the notebook per user solution; limits the damage potential/scope

I'd also recommend back-ups for  all the notebooks

43 minutes ago, CalS said:

Focus would be on one master account that you control and share with the others, as many notebooks as make sense to you.  Warning though, data integrity could become a problem with this many hands in the stew.  There aren't any real checks and balances for data entry with EN.  Now if everyone emails to your account and you do the tagging work that would help.  That and having some specific methods/rules for entry and access.  Things like this tend to get a life of their own as folks ask for more.

There are software packages that do this stuff as I am sure you are aware, cost differential for sure.

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

To take things to a professional level: With a Business account, you can organize users in „spaces“. A space is a group of users that share a group of notebooks. The notebooks and their users can be defined overlapping. The idea  is that by defining the documents for a process you create a space, and then define the employees that work on this process as the spaces users.

So if a new employee joins, you simply define the spaces he needs access to, and are done. When processes change, you redefine the space, and all users with access automatically get the new work docs. One employee can be member of several spaces, and each space typically has several employees working on it. Usually there is one „space“ for all, with stuff like company rules, blackboard, standard templates etc.

This is similar to your notebook-idea, but it is more flexible. And it can be administered professionally, whereas a notebook has one owner, and that is by default the admin. Each user needs a business account, and with that gets a premium account for personal use included.

If you need help, there are EN certified consultants who are qualified to help you:

https://evernote.com/intl/en/certified-consultants

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

That's why I like the notebook per user solution

I was talking about the lack of controls for the data entry of document numbers.  Almost better off not entering any of the such and using search of the PDFs, emails, whatever.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, CalS said:

data entry of document numbers.  Almost better off not entering any of the such and using search of the PDFs, emails, whatever.

Things like Work Order Id, Customer Id?

I prefer a tag; maybe set up in advance by the notebook owner

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Thing like Work Order Id, Customer Id?

I prefer a tag

Might not if you are doing 1000 work orders a year, customer okay unless it is always new business.  Again, point is there are not data controls for such a system when set up within EN.  Native apps have controls on that sort of thing. Unless it is a small business I don't think I would use EN for a such a need.  Way too much discipline is needed.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, translog said:

Can this be done in Evernote premium?

I have a concern about records protection for a business    
It's too easy for notes to be accidentally updated or deleted

Evernote has not addressed this, so I use the services of third party Filterize   
- notes are set to read-only    
- notes are set to not-deleteable

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, demijmorg said:

@translogI am working on a similar type of project.

Can you tell, how evernote has helped you in managing and scaling your business.

Hi.  This discussion happened a year ago,  before Evernote v10, calendars and to-do lists.  If @translog is still around,  the system is probably being rewritten as we speak;  can you give us a broad outline of what sort of project you're dealing with to (maybe) generate some useful suggestions?