Error loading notes and cannot reinstall

I'm getting a couple of errors while trying to load my notes. They won't load and then Evernote freezes and I have to use the  task manager to close it.

18:35:13 [INFO   ] [17416] [3880] Client synchronization finished, status: complete
18:35:13 [INFO   ] [17416] [3880] * elapsed time: 1s
18:35:49 [ERROR  ] [17416] [1688] Geocoding: unexpected status: "REQUEST_DENIED"
18:35:49 [ERROR  ] [17416] [13408] Unable to load note: uid=164362
18:35:49 [INFO   ] [13028] [18300] Starting EvernoteSubprocess.exe
18:35:49 [ERROR  ] [17416] [1688] Geocoding: unexpected status: "REQUEST_DENIED"

Also I've tried to uninstall Evernote, but through the controla panel is impossible, I get an error message.

Right now, the geocoding failure is expected. At some time in the past, the Google's API changed and now requires an API key (it's not free anymore). So any attempt to translate GPS coordinates to nice names will fail.

I've reinstalled my Evernote, cleaned every bit of info of my note, installed it, downloaded all my notes (25gb) and started working... Until the next boot. Now I'm getting the same error message 18:35:49 [ERROR  ] [17416] [13408] Unable to load note: uid=44940

• Ex Employees

Thanks for this report. Please confirm the location of the database.

1. Select Tools > Options
  2. Select the General Tab on the left
  3. Scroll down to "Evernote local files" 

What file path are the local files saved to? 

• 4 months later...

I've been dealing with this issue for the past few months as well. Sometimes I get 10 crashes a day (a crash being Evernote simply disappearing). I've had tickets opened and after dealing with the "um, did you reboot" and "oh, just re-create your database" first line customer service rep nonsense for weeksI finally got through to tech only to be told that there was a new version out, could I try it.

The thing that is hard with this bug is that when you get it, you get it multiple times/day, multiple days/week and then for some reason you could be free of it for weeks. Then bang, it comes back.

What I'm seeing in the log is also  [ERROR  ] [18256] [440] Unable to load note: uid=119218

Can't fix it using Ctrl Help fix note.

If I knew which note it was I could remove it. How can I find out which note it is?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, lisec said:

What I'm seeing in the log is also  [ERROR  ] [18256] [440] Unable to load note: uid=119218

Is there a note title above or below the line with uid in it? 

Best I can tell uid in either the 123456 or alphanumeric 12345678-1234-1234-123456789012 version does not make it to the ENEX file.  Need someone with more expertise to help here.

12 hours ago, CalS said:

Is there a note title above or below the line with uid in it? 

Best I can tell uid in either the 123456 or alphanumeric 12345678-1234-1234-123456789012 version does not make it to the ENEX file.  Need someone with more expertise to help here.

No title. That's part of the issue - I can't find the note to fix it.  I selected about 2-3 months worth of notes and fixed those, hoping that would do the trick, but the log still shows this one. I'm really not tempted to fix my entire database - it just takes too long.   And yeah, the number is completely uninformative. Doesn't match anything else that I could see in the log.

Anyway, I'm sure i'll have to go back to support with this one. I swear if the front-liners tell me to re-create my database before they send anything to tech I'm going to scream.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lisec said:

Anyway, I'm sure i'll have to go back to support with this one. I swear if the front-liners tell me to re-create my database before they send anything to tech I'm going to scream.

Just say NO.

• Like 1
On 8/3/2019 at 4:29 PM, lisec said:

If I knew which note it was I could remove it. How can I find out which note it is?

If you open your .exb file (typically in <\Users\<you>\Evernote\Databases) with an SQLite browser, you may be able to determine that. (I'm using SQLiteBrowser: https://github.com/sqlitebrowser/sqlitebrowser/releases , the portable version) If you open the 'note_attr' table you can see search for the uid and see the associated title. (You can also see the notebook it's in) (BTW, I open the file with the Open-Database-Readonly menu item - just to be sure it doesn't do something! Alternatively, make a copy of the exb and open that)

• Like 1

dcon, now that is a neat trick. I can't wait to see it in action. 

For the moment, though, I'm not sure such heavy guns are required. I discovered that I was running the web beta and that was causing a whole bunch of syncing issues. I've since turned it off and I'm going to wait a week or so to see if I still get the crashes. I suspect I will not, and I've been 2 full days without one so far.

(I've told the techs via my open ticket; here's hoping they advise others with sync issues to disable evernote web beta as a start towards troubleshooting).

I've re-installed, cleaned everything and downloaded all data from the server. It helped. I'm still getting some error messages like before, but the app freezes, though it doesn't crash. It is crashig when I use the search option (ctrl+f). Not the first time, but if I type it again my Evernote freezes and I have to force it to close an ope again. IT also happens when I'm editting a .docx and I save it, my Evernote completely freezes and a few times it crashes.

2 minutes ago, Raphael Tsavkko said:

I've re-installed, cleaned everything and downloaded all data from the server. It helped. I'm still getting some error messages like before, but the app freezes, though it doesn't crash. It is crashig when I use the search option (ctrl+f). Not the first time, but if I type it again my Evernote freezes and I have to force it to close an ope again. IT also happens when I'm editting a .docx and I save it, my Evernote completely freezes and a few times it crashes.

Did you check to see if you were using the beta version of Evernote web?  If so, revert to non-beta. It seems to have fixed the problem for me.

Also, note that I don't use Evernote web. Ever, really. But as far as I understand, when we sync that's what we sync with, so issues in the web can easily translate as issues with the desktop version, especially where syncing is involved.

Edited by lisec
additional info
9 minutes ago, lisec said:

Did you check to see if you were using the beta version of Evernote web?  If so, revert to non-beta. It seems to have fixed the problem for me.

Also, note that I don't use Evernote web. Ever, really. But as far as I understand, when we sync that's what we sync with, so issues in the web can easily translate as issues with the desktop version, especially where syncing is involved.

Yeap, I never use beta versions. I also don't use the web version, all my issies are in the desktop version.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lisec said:

now that is a neat trick. I can't wait to see it in action (How can I find out which note it is?)

I'm also a fan of accessing the Evernote database to retrieve metadata
I use DB Browser and SQL commands on my Mac; sample below
     set sqlText to "SELECT ZLOCALUUID FROM ZenNote where ZGUID = '" & noteUID & "';"

set localFolder to text items of (do shell script "sqlite3 " & quote & databaseFile & quote & " " & quote & sqlText & quote)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Raphael Tsavkko said:

Yeap, I never use beta versions. I also don't use the web version, all my issies are in the desktop version.

Well, I don't use the web either and I took the two minutes it takes to login to the web, noticed it was beta (I don't remember ever turning that on), changed it back, exited, and my desktop syncing issues were gone. That's all I'm saying.

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2019 at 10:33 AM, dcon said:

If you open your .exb file (typically in <\Users\<you>\Evernote\Databases) with an SQLite browser, you may be able to determine that. (I'm using SQLiteBrowser: https://github.com/sqlitebrowser/sqlitebrowser/releases , the portable version) If you open the 'note_attr' table you can see search for the uid and see the associated title. (You can also see the notebook it's in) (BTW, I open the file with the Open-Database-Readonly menu item - just to be sure it doesn't do something! Alternatively, make a copy of the exb and open that)

dcon, I forgot to thank you for this information. Works like a charm.