Personal Priorities for Changes in 2019

Peter B. Giblett

Hi all, especially our friends at Evernote. I recently read Ian Small's Priorities for 2019 on the Blog. This got me thinking, so I wanted to add my own priorities for this wonderful product. This submission is an extension of what I included in the Evernote community on Facebook.

I have been using Evernote a long time. I am a writer and editor. My memory tells me 2010 (but I may be wrong). I primarily use Evernote to create a first-draft for writing projects I undertake. My notes start as an idea, perhaps a few disjointed thoughts about a particular subject. Stored under an "Article Notes" notebook. At times I have been known to gather research materials (especially when I am about to go travelling). These are placed under a "Research" notebook. I use tags to stop material from being lost, yet I still manage to lose things.

I am less focused on new features than the ones that get my job done. For example, I do not use reminders, because I have other tools to assist me with that.

My wishes for Evernote include:

1) An ability to set headings (e.g. H2, H3, H4, etc.) With the header for the note being the H1 type heading.
2) An ability to work with Grammarly (and other tools) so that I can make corrections on the fly. This comment relates to the Windows App, not to the on-line product (which I rarely use).
3) The ability to export a document to .doc or .docx (perhaps also to email).
4) Please fix the "Word and Resource counts" function for Windows. Currently, I have to use the option twice to obtain the right information. Until about 1 year ago there was NEVER a problem with getting counts. Currently the first time results are either zeros or the old state.
5) Import word, or other textual documents. I know it is possible to import PDF, but I need to access MS Word documents commonly.

• Level 5*
On 1/23/2019 at 12:07 PM, Peter B. Giblett said:

I wanted to add my own priorities for this wonderful product

These would be better addressed as separate posts in the feature request forum.

>>1) An ability to set headings (e.g. H2, H3, H4, etc.) With the header for the note being the H1 type heading.

As noted, the Evernote editor doesn't support format styles.  As a work-around, I recommend the Evertools app.

>>3) The ability to export a document to .doc or .docx (perhaps also to email).

Can you provide details on the objective for this export.
Notes are in html/enml format, and I export to html in my backups.
My documents are stored in native format (like .docx), as attachments; and export on my Mac to the same format.

>>5) Import word, or other textual documents. I know it is possible to import PDF, but I need to access MS Word documents commonly.

My notes have attachments of many different formats; image, pdf, Word, ...

I don't think there's any format restriction.  

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm a fairly prolific Word and Email user too,  and I find that Evernote is pretty good as it is - I attach DOCX files to my notes and can open them in Word on any machine (that has Office installed) and save them back to the note.  There are no important word files on my hard drive - they're more easily searchable in Evernote.

Similarly with email.  My Outlook has a clipper to copy message content into Evernote,  and if I have a message to which I might want to reply,  I can attach the original MSG file by dragging the email from Outlook to my desktop,  and then into a note.  Double-clicked on another device (again,  one that has Office installed) I can open and respond to that email.

• Level 5*
On 1/23/2019 at 3:07 PM, Peter B. Giblett said:

My wishes for Evernote include:

Better to find existing feature requests for individual  items and add your upvote / comments there. In particular, the heading request (h1, h2..) has already been requested, and has a fair number of comments and upvotes. If you can't find an existing request, then go ahead and post your own. The general feature request ("If you have a feature request related to the Evernote Service, that is not specific to a particular platform, please post it here!") forum is here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/304-general-feature-requests/; if you have requests that pertain to Evernote for specific operating systems, there are subforums; see https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/449-product-feedbackfeature-requests/

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2019 at 3:53 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  I'm a fairly prolific Word and Email user too,  and I find that Evernote is pretty good as it is - I attach DOCX files to my notes and can open them in Word on any machine (that has Office installed) and save them back to the note.  There are no important word files on my hard drive - they're more easily searchable in Evernote.

Interesting. Some questions come to mind:

Can Evernote search inside word documents as well?

If you open a word document from within Evernote and then edit it in word and save. Does it update in Evernote or do you have to reattach it after edit?

Thanks in advance!

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, shaddack said:

Can Evernote search inside word documents as well?

As a premium subscriber you are able to search the contents of Word documents.

15 minutes ago, shaddack said:

If you open a word document from within Evernote and then edit it in word and save. Does it update in Evernote or do you have to reattach it after edit?

The updated document will be saved back into EN when you exit Word, no extra steps required.

Archived