EverTool - an Evernote editor helper

This is pretty good.

I've been using it for about 30 minutes. It covers my most common complaints about the editor (aside from the editor just being buggy); The absence of set styles, and code highlighting. Stays out of way, looks good, works as advertised. 

I have a single complaint or request so far: the fonts you allow me to choose in the styles, none of them are the fonts I actually use. Evernote lets me choose any font on my system, and I'm using the IBM Plex family. But EverTool only gives me a handful of default fonts. 

If a future version could just hook into the Mac font system, same as Evernote does, to display all the fonts available, that would be cool.

Otherwise, great job!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Vladislav Krakhalev said:

Why you love this app? It wastes time, because you need every time do cut-paste action. Idea is good, as some functions, but cut-paste .

Confirmed: copy/paste is used to implement the text reformat.
Some users want to use styles and/or Markdown in editing their notes.  
This is an easy and quick way to accomplish this.
Do you have alternative steps to achieve the same functions?

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Vladislav Krakhalev said:

Why you love this app? It wastes time, because you need every time do cut-paste action. Idea is good, as some functions, but cut-paste .. 

Love is a strong word. I like the app because it lets me do two things that were harder to do before:

1. Write in markdown and get it into Evernote

2. Highlight code. A LOT of my notes are code. 

Previously I've used both Marxico and the EverMonkey extension for VS Code to handle my markdown/code highlighting needs, and they both work superbly for me. My issue with them though, is that they "lock" the note so it cannot be edited in Evernote any more, which is sometimes really inconvenient. This app lets me get my highlighting and/or markdown into Evernote without having to leave Evernote, and without making the note non-editable.

Bonus: pre-defined text styles which I've always wanted Evernote to do. Its the only thing OneNote does that I like better than Evernote. I suppose it's a redundant feature if I'm using Markdown, but I'm not always using Markdown.

The mechanism is not awesome, but it works. If you have a better solution for accomplishing the same things, I'd be interested in exploring it.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 9/9/2018 at 7:32 AM, ctxhou said:

Thanks for the reading. Should you have any suggestion, please don't hesitate to leave the comment.

Very nice tool!  👍

One suggestion: provide option for EverTool to use the SELECTION in the source document without needing to CUT/PASTE.

• Level 5*
On 1/3/2019 at 8:40 AM, JMichaelTX said:

One suggestion: provide option for EverTool to use the SELECTION in the source document without needing to CUT/PASTE.

There is a discussion here on simplifying the integration.

在 2019/1/7 在 AM2點47分, JMichaelTX說:

Maybe so, but this would seem to now be the main thread for EverTool.  I still have not seen a response from the developer, @ctxhou.

Hey! Thanks for the suggestion.

This is also one of the features I am working on. Hope I can release it soon 😃

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Evertool seems a great and easy to use tool, but I have one question
when I look at the videos, I don’t see you can choose the importance of titles : Heading 1 2 3 4 5 6

Is it only about styling and not about syntax ?
when I export in html a note stylized with Evertool, are the titles with differents Heading tags ? <h1><h2>…. that I can choose ?

thank you
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, matthieu. said:
Evertool seems a great and easy to use tool, but I have one question
when I look at the videos, I don’t see you can choose the importance of titles : Heading 1 2 3 4 5 6

Is it only about styling and not about syntax ?
when I export in html a note stylized with Evertool, are the titles with differents Heading tags ? <h1><h2>…. that I can choose ?

Further to this request;  The  <h1><h2>... html tags are supported in Evernote's enml format.

However, we need to use a different tool to insert these tags; they're not currently supported by Evertool.

what an enlightenment this morning discovering this thread, and what a disappointment now :(

***** styles, it's no value. i will continue to pay evernote but with contempt, I have to pay because i use it for more than 10 years, but I will never understand the fact they don't car about syntax

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, matthieu. said:

I will never understand the fact they don't car about syntax

Profanity is a violation of forum rules.

I'd say it's an exception for users to care about the underlying enml syntax in a note. 
Most users are concerned with setting font, size, ...
I'm using a Mac and a text editor to directly edit the note's content.enml file

Did you have a specific requirement for inserting these tags into a  note?

you always reply in the same way DTLow :( yes we need heading so we can use notes in other contextes, with a real STRUCTURE, syntax is everywhere in web an so we can extract structure, table of contents, and I'm far to be the only one who needs that

styling comes AFTER syntax, and is way more easy to use when connected to syntax

I use evernote to prepare tutorials for exemple, or offers, directly connected to export of my notes and I don't want to modify the text after exportation, I just apply stiles with CSS, every time the same CSS for my exported notes

I use evernote fot ten years now, and I pay for 5 ort 6 years the premium account, they added lots of features we don't need, but this one, requested from the beginning, nothing :( they ignore it

Thank you for your great effort and this wonderful tool, @ctxhou! EverTool works great as described! I'm using it in conjunction with MacDown and the results have been very slick 🙂  My process right now is to create a new note, create a new MacDown file and attach it to the note, then write and use EverTool for the transform.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Cool concept but not sure I want (4) steps just to highlight my text:

1. Cut text to clipboard
  2. Click Highlight tool in EverTool
  3. Click back in Evernote note
  4. Paste highlighted text.

Sorry, but that's too many steps for me. Now, I wonder if I can get a $5 refund.

I actually bought and used EverTool and thought it was pretty cool, but it doesn't work on Version 10 and they have a disclaimer up in the description that states that:

image.png.55bc379ab74ecd1b0b009d71eb491021.png

I wonder what "fix" they are talking about. My guess is it's more about something the way that legacy Evernote worked and that it won't work like that ever again. (Like it's not a bug that needs to be fixed, it was a feature that isn't ever coming back.)

• Level 5

From the blog post it is a lack of formatting options in v10 that stops the tool with v10.

The 2 options mentioned to still use it are using legacy, or to use the classic editor on the web. As we know, both are options with a limited perspective - they will stop working one day. And both do not support the new features that came along with v10. Furthermore there is a risk that even if used, the look brought into the notes will change when the note is opened with v10.

What they ask for in the blog post is to turn the wheel back on the editor, allowing the broader feature set it had before. Personally I think this is not going to happen, the new version was build around the editor. These changes are here to stay - sorry, but reading their own blog tells me EverTool is toast.