Evernote for Mac 7.8

Nick L.

Idea

Evernote for Mac 7.8 is now available and you can download it here

New: 

• You told us you love Templates, so we’ve made it even easier for you to use them. Now you can view our gallery of templates—plus any you’ve saved—right inside the app. Just click on the “Template” button when you create a new note to see them all. Oh yeah, you know we’re doin’ our happy dance.
  • FYI, they look great with Dark Mode too.

29 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 1/24/2019 at 2:11 PM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I run a Time Machine backup weekly (usually), and at that time I also recreate the spotlight search index

My TimeMachine backups are running constantly (Mac mini)

I also run a weekly full EN backup; an html export.  This data is indexed in the Spotlight search.  
I'm using this pending a Mojave/EN fix.

The EN > Spotlight search got broken with the Mojave OS upgrade.  
The issue has been acknowledged by EN and we are waiting for a fix.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, adorno's gray said:

As a former EN user of many, many years, I do not understand why anyone still uses EN for Mac at this point...

As a current EN user of many, many years, I do not understand why you're posting in this discussion (7.8 release)?

I still use EN to store and access my data; 12,000+ notes.

Yes, E2E encryption would be preferred, but I was aware from the beginning this wasn't supported by EN.  Anyways, that topic is a different discussion from the 7.8 release.

As a former EN user of many, many years, I do not understand why anyone still uses EN for Mac at this point. There are better, faster, cheaper, and more secure (e.g. E2E encryption on all notes) PIMs out there. I switched to devonthink a few months back there is not a single thing I miss about EN. And it is rock solid—no bugs, unlike the perpetual bug cycle on EN. 

19 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Are you saying that Spotlight search finds Evernote Notes for you, in Evernote 7.8 running in macOS Mojave?

It was working until I upgraded to the latest macOS developer beta for Mojave yesterday. It's not working now and the update of Mojave broke a couple of other things as well.

18 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Wow what is your secret sauce to make Spotlight work in Mojave? I have done everything .... completely delete Evernote, reinstall the entire OS, delete database and re-download everything, blow away Spotlight indexes, even bought a whole new computer ... it just doesn't work.... 

I have had to do what you described with other things like my recipe management software so I feel your pain on that. May have to take that route on the desktop running High Sierra if the reindex doesn't work.

18 hours ago, Jay-Bob said:

Thanks @JMichaelTX, we're getting these to the devs.

I know it gets complicated when EN isn't running on a stable OS, but wanted to give you a heads up that the issue might persist during this current round of releases from Apple.    

Update: 

Mojave developer update is installed. Running a re-index overnight and will update in the AM when it's done. As of right now fresh off the install the spotlight search is NOT working and  Evernote is not showing up with the command and tab application switching functionality.

2 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Wow what is your secret sauce to make Spotlight work in Mojave? I have done everything .... completely delete Evernote, reinstall the entire OS, delete database and re-download everything, blow away Spotlight indexes, even bought a whole new computer ... it just doesn't work.... 

I don't know if I do anything special. Might just be lucky. Only thing I can think of is I do run developer betas of the OS. I never have a stable version on my laptop. Ironically on one of the desktops that still has High Sierra spotlight isn't working at the moment. 

• Level 5
2 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Yes, it's been good so far. Now with that said, I'm right in the middle of updating to the latest Mojave developer beta so we'll see if that breaks anything.

43 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Are you saying that Spotlight search finds Evernote Notes for you, in Evernote 7.8 running in macOS Mojave?

Yes, it's been good so far. Now with that said, I'm right in the middle of updating to the latest Mojave developer beta so we'll see if that breaks anything.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Spotlight search has never been an issue on any of my Macs.

On 1/12/2019 at 1:05 PM, luckman212 said:

Fine, but If search isn't considered a core function in a note-taking app then I give up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I may be a bit OCD in what I do with my system, but I run a Time Machine backup weekly (usually), and at that time I also recreate the spotlight search index even if I'm not having a problem. I've done that ever since I've used the  Application on Mac. I also have a routine for other applications and systems that I use which I do at this time, so it's not just EN that I include.

Spotlight search has never been an issue on any of my Macs. NOW, I know that's a bit more than what the average user is willing to do, and I also know that my OCDishness may irritate people when I make suggestions, but I just wanted to put my practice out there for anyone that might like to try it.

Is there any way that I can change settings in ce.css file to adjust margins in full screen view?

I mean in older version I could change settings in that file so after going into fullscreen view I could have my note centered in the middle of the screen with manually adjusted margins.

I cannot find the way of doing it in new version. I would be grateful if you could help me with that issue, thanks a lot

On 10/1/2019 at 20:08, Nick L. dijo:

Evernote for Mac 7.8 is now available and you can download it here

New: 

• You told us you love Templates, so we’ve made it even easier for you to use them. Now you can view our gallery of templates—plus any you’ve saved—right inside the app. Just click on the “Template” button when you create a new note to see them all. Oh yeah, you know we’re doin’ our happy dance.
  • FYI, they look great with Dark Mode too.

Great!

But Font rendering problem in High Sierra has not been fixed yet.

I know there's a dedicated post on it, just wanted to mention the issue here.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Spotlight search definitely should have been fixed before 7.8 was marked "release". ....  core function.

Priorities and core functions can be debated.  I just want to make sure outstanding issues are listed on each release notice.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

@Nick A, let me strongly second that request.

It is a show-stopper for me if Evernote does not support Spotlight Searches.  I use Spotlight many times a day, and it is essential to my daily workflows.

Spotlight search definitely should have been fixed before 7.8 was marked "release". This has been broken for me since 7.5.2.  So we've had 3 full release cycles pass (7.6, 7.7, 7.8...) now without a fix for this core function.

You told us you love Templates, so we’ve made it even easier for you to use them. Now you can view our gallery of templates—plus any you’ve saved—right inside the app. Just click on the “Template” button when you create a new note to see them all. Oh yeah, you know we’re doin’ our happy dance.

I was really excited by this description, but the reality didn't quite live up to it. The main change I see as needed is the ability to edit templates once I've created them. Manually editing then saving then deleting them is not ideal.

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, DTLow said:

@Nick A  It would be appreciate if you could continue with the Fixed, Not Fixed sections in your release post

@Nick A, let me strongly second that request.

56 minutes ago, DTLow said:

For example, Spotlight Indexing in OS Mojave

It is a show-stopper for me if Evernote does not support Spotlight Searches.  I use Spotlight many times a day, and it is essential to my daily workflows.

• Level 5*
On 1/10/2019 at 11:08 AM, Nick L. said:

Evernote for Mac 7.8 is now available

@Nick A  It would be appreciated if you could continue with the Fixed, Not Fixed sections in your release post

For example, Spotlight Indexing in OS Mojave

• Level 5*
On 1/10/2019 at 1:08 PM, Nick L. said:

New: 

• You told us you love Templates, so we’ve made it even easier for you to use them.

@Nick L., consistent with you new CEO Ian Small's blog (  Looking Ahead: Evernote's Priorities for 2019 ), could you guys PLEASE issue a 7.8.1 GA release that does nothing but fix the bugs you have added since Ver 6.11.1?

I'm still running Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.12.6, and I've been waiting a very long time (since May 2017) for you guys to issue a release without any material bugs.

Thanks.

From Ian Small's Blog:

And honesty requires us to state—straight out—that we can do better with the product you have today than we are currently doing. In fact, we can do better than we have been doing for some years.

Frankly, it’s a bit disingenuous for me to try to get our most dedicated users all fired up about inventing the future of Evernote when exactly those same people are the ones who know . . . that each version of Evernote seems to work slightly differently, and exhibits its own unique collection of bugs and undesirable behaviors

Our goals are simple but meaningful:

. . .

3.  And we’re going to make improvements to the core infrastructure that sits behind the applications you experience so that we can deliver an Evernote with the speed, reliability, and scalability that all of us expect.

Archived