EN 7.8 final - dangerous bug with code blocks

• Level 5

Also reported here but it wasn't fixed. Now 7.8 final is out and the bug remains. 

bug - part 1: when copying text from a code block, an unwanted newline (carriage return) is appended to the end.

This one is dangerous for me since I keep a lot of terminal commands in EN as reference and frequently copy & paste them. The extra carriage return causes the commands to immediately execute if pasted into a terminal. If the command in question was e.g. `rm -rf /foo` that could be catastrophic.

bug - part 2: when selecting a block of text and converting it to code block, 2 extra blank lines are added at the end. screenshots:

before:
image.png.eb0a2123b1569b1520361cd51caa48fe.png

after:
image.png.7cdc8274c98e3140e0837fd75250b48d.png

bug - part 3: if the code block contains blank lines, they are omitted when copy/pasted:

code block:
image.png.c98ceadc062fc559ccf75f2705b5807e.png

after copy/paste into Sublime Text (e.g.)
image.png.3444ec70a195181c6755f48ad0b2a940.png

I opened support ticket #2750982

• Level 5

32 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

I   Assume   you mean 7.8.1 

That's not how EN development works anymore.  There won't be any 7.8.1.  There will be a 7.9 beta 1, which will fix 1 bug but add 3 new ones. 

Those 3 bugs will be reported here. There won't be any more 7.9 betas though. 7.9 will be released, with maybe 1 or 2 of those bugs fixed, but also with 2 new bugs.

Rinse. Repeat.

• Level 5
30 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

That's old school.  I'm hoping that the new CEO Ian Small will fix that.  See Looking Ahead: Evernote's Priorities for 2019 

Guess I missed the memo about the new CEO. Sounds like a glimmer of hope, but to be honest it's been so many years of decline I am not sure the boat can be turned around. For me it's "guilty until proven innocent" at this point.  I do wish EN the best however, and hopefully we will start seeing a change in quality this year.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Sounds like a glimmer of hope, but to be honest it's been so many years of decline I am not sure the boat can be turned around

I'm not sure it can be either.  But, I'm willing to give the new CEO a chance, particularly since I have not found any PIM that is better.  If I did, I would probably jump ship. Fortunately, Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.12.6 is working fine for me, and I won't update until I don't see any material bugs that impact my workflow.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 5:49 PM, luckman212 said:

Also reported here but it wasn't fixed. Now 7.8 final is out and the bug remains. 

bug - part 1: when copying text from a code block, an unwanted newline (carriage return) is appended to the end.

This one is dangerous for me since I keep a lot of terminal commands in EN as reference and frequently copy & paste them. The extra carriage return causes the commands to immediately execute if pasted into a terminal. If the command in question was e.g. `rm -rf /foo` that could be catastrophic.

bug - part 2: when selecting a block of text and converting it to code block, 2 extra blank lines are added at the end. screenshots:

before:
image.png.eb0a2123b1569b1520361cd51caa48fe.png

after:
image.png.7cdc8274c98e3140e0837fd75250b48d.png

bug - part 3: if the code block contains blank lines, they are omitted when copy/pasted:

code block:
image.png.c98ceadc062fc559ccf75f2705b5807e.png

after copy/paste into Sublime Text (e.g.)
image.png.3444ec70a195181c6755f48ad0b2a940.png

I opened support ticket #2750982

We're working on an updated editor that is addressing both these bugs. I personally just tested it and can reproduce the issue on the current editor, but not in the updated one. We're working hard to have it ready as soon as possible, but to be frank newer updates to the current text editor will not contain these fixes for now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Not that this is a solution but, if you install 7.9 beta 2 it PARTIALLY fixes this bug, but you still get the extra RETURN/newline added to everything copied from EN.  To work around that portion, I created an Alfred workflow that I bind to "CMD+SHIFT+C" which automatically trims off the extra linefeed. Major kludge but until they can fix the editor component it's better than accidentally pasting  rm -rf /  into a Terminal....

1 hour ago, luckman212 said:

Not that this is a solution but, if you install 7.9 beta 2 it PARTIALLY fixes this bug, but you still get the extra RETURN/newline added to everything copied from EN.  To work around that portion, I created an Alfred workflow that I bind to "CMD+SHIFT+C" which automatically trims off the extra linefeed. Major kludge but until they can fix the editor component it's better than accidentally pasting  rm -rf /  into a Terminal....

that's a great tip, will try it. thanks.

Archived