Join the #EverBetterChallenge and finish what you start in 2019. Read more... ×
luckman212

EN 7.8 final - dangerous bug with code blocks

Idea

Also reported here but it wasn't fixed. Now 7.8 final is out and the bug remains. 

bug - part 1: when copying text from a code block, an unwanted newline (carriage return) is appended to the end.

This one is dangerous for me since I keep a lot of terminal commands in EN as reference and frequently copy & paste them. The extra carriage return causes the commands to immediately execute if pasted into a terminal. If the command in question was e.g. `rm -rf /foo` that could be catastrophic.

bug - part 2: when selecting a block of text and converting it to code block, 2 extra blank lines are added at the end. screenshots:

before:
image.png.eb0a2123b1569b1520361cd51caa48fe.png

after:
image.png.7cdc8274c98e3140e0837fd75250b48d.png

bug - part 3: if the code block contains blank lines, they are omitted when copy/pasted:

code block:
image.png.c98ceadc062fc559ccf75f2705b5807e.png

after copy/paste into Sublime Text (e.g.)
image.png.3444ec70a195181c6755f48ad0b2a940.png

I opened support ticket #2750982

6 replies to this idea

Fellow premium member here.  Copy and paste functionality is critical for my workflow.

I'm eager for this to be fixed in 7.8 Mac.

2 hours ago, Seattle32 said:

I'm eager for this to be fixed in 7.8 Mac.

I   Assume   you mean 7.8.1 Mac, since the bugs in the current version 7.8. 

32 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

I   Assume   you mean 7.8.1 

That's not how EN development works anymore.  There won't be any 7.8.1.  There will be a 7.9 beta 1, which will fix 1 bug but add 3 new ones. 

Those 3 bugs will be reported here. There won't be any more 7.9 betas though. 7.9 will be released, with maybe 1 or 2 of those bugs fixed, but also with 2 new bugs.

Rinse. Repeat.

30 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

That's old school.  I'm hoping that the new CEO Ian Small will fix that.  See Looking Ahead: Evernote's Priorities for 2019 

Guess I missed the memo about the new CEO. Sounds like a glimmer of hope, but to be honest it's been so many years of decline I am not sure the boat can be turned around. For me it's "guilty until proven innocent" at this point.  I do wish EN the best however, and hopefully we will start seeing a change in quality this year.

25 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Sounds like a glimmer of hope, but to be honest it's been so many years of decline I am not sure the boat can be turned around

I'm not sure it can be either.  But, I'm willing to give the new CEO a chance, particularly since I have not found any PIM that is better.  If I did, I would probably jump ship. Fortunately, Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.12.6 is working fine for me, and I won't update until I don't see any material bugs that impact my workflow.