Evernote for Mac 7.5

Rich Collyer

Idea

Improvements:

* We’ve cleaned up the More Options menu (“…”) so it’s easier to find the actions you use most.
* To make upgrading effortless, we added a button to the toolbar. We promise it won’t bite, but don’t worry, you can always remove it if you’d prefer.
* Since we recently changed our appearance (does this color make our sidebar look big?), we tweaked our background colors to match.

Fixes:
* We fixed a problem where you wouldn’t see a note snippet if the note hadn’t synced properly.
* If you had more than one line of text highlighted when you tried to remove a link, all the links in the note would disappear. We’ll admit, that was taking things too far.
* Now and then, loading web views would cause a crash, but we fixed that.
* Sometimes, annotating a PDF would cause a crash, which was a big fail.
* The app would sometimes crash when checking for updates. Since updates are healthy, we put a stop to that.
* Pasting into a numbered or bulleted list would remove the list text between any images. This was less than ideal, but on the bright side, we fixed it.
* The app was forgetting your Shared with Me column widths after you closed it, which is probably not what you expected.
* Shared notebooks weren’t showing up in your Shared with Me list. And notebooks deserve love too.
* Triple-clicking one line of copy pasted in front of text on another line would break the list. But that’s a thing of the past.
* If you added Japanese characters to a bulleted list, the formatting would look weird, which was unfortunate.
* If you had 2-byte characters in a table (for example, Chinese or Japanese characters), adding a bullet point would break the table. And only WWE wrestlers should be allowed to break tables.
* Underlining couldn’t be removed from text in a table, which wasn’t helpful.
* Turning bold text off then pasting something into a list would turn bold back on. We really like bold, but that’s taking things too far.
* If you pasted bulleted lists separated by paragraphs from Word into Evernote, the gaps would disappear. You could say it was a big mess.
* Pasting data from Excel into Evernote needed a table upgrade, but there was no way for you to do it. That was an embarrassing oversight on our part.
* Pasting text into Evernote from a coding text editor messed up the formatting, but it should be smooth sailing now.
* Occasionally, changes you made to a note, including moving it to a different notebook, wouldn’t sync. Things should be back to normal now though.
* Occasionally, dragging a note from a space to the trash folder would cause the app to crash, but that’s no more.

Please bring back the "Move to trash" button. Having it as a menu item is a much worse user experience than it was before. I create and delete notes very often and this change made using Evernote less smooth. The initial instinct was to finally migrate to Apple notes, but hopefully Evernote is willing to listen to their users?

On 10/15/2018 at 2:28 AM, Dezer1970 said:

Very disappointing & frustrating that Evernote removed the ability to view PDFs as an image in snipet.  Why would they remove such a helpful & basic feature?

Another example of Evernote not listening to customer feedback & ignoring overwhelming feedback. 

Free users can still display PDFs inline, so this doesn't sound right. Check the following: 

1. Preferences > Clipper > By Default, view newly clipped PDFs and office documents: Inline

2. Right click on an attached PDF > View Inline.  

On 10/15/2018 at 4:43 AM, w919 said:

Please bring back the "Move to trash" button. Having it as a menu item is a much worse user experience than it was before. I create and delete notes very often and this change made using Evernote less smooth. The initial instinct was to finally migrate to Apple notes, but hopefully Evernote is willing to listen to their users?

Your feedback is appreciated. In the meantime you can also delete notes quickly by right clicking on the note in the note list or by pressing ⌘ Delete. 

Adding my voice to the request for reminders to return as a one-click visual option.

2018 seems to be the year that Evernote simply gave up on  being a productivity app and now only seems concerned with colours, logos, and backward UI tweaks.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:37 PM, nicolml said:

Free users can still display PDFs inline, so this doesn't sound right. Check the following: 

1. Preferences > Clipper > By Default, view newly clipped PDFs and office documents: Inline

2. Right click on an attached PDF > View Inline.  

You are right. My mistake.  This problem only occurs in Evernote for iOS on my iPhone, not in Evernote for Mac?

Don't suppose you know anything about fixing this problem in Evernote for iOS?

Thanks...

7 hours ago, Dezer1970 said:

You are right. My mistake.  This problem only occurs in Evernote for iOS on my iPhone, not in Evernote for Mac?

Don't suppose you know anything about fixing this problem in Evernote for iOS?

Thanks...

The PDF preview in the snippet is a current bug that we're working to resolve. It affects all mobile and the web client. The desktop versions have their own PDF snippet creation mechanism so they are not affected. We should have this resolved soon. 

Thanks, 

Just to add my personal remark to this threat (I was a premium customer, now I'm not anymore). Evernote is a personal research tool for me and the most important to me is the search engine and the search box which allows me to search through hundreds of notes with just three letters or single words. I recently installed the update to version 7.5.2 on MacOs Sierra 10.12.3 and the search box doesn't work at all. Whatever I search for, even the simplest searches for the simplest words, I get zero results. So yes, with updates Evernote somehow gets worse.

I'm considering moving my research data somewhere else.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Studios said:

I recently installed the update to version 7.5.2 on MacOs Sierra 10.12.3 and the search box doesn't work at all. Whatever I search for, even the simplest searches for the simplest words, I get zero results.

22 hours ago, DTLow said:

Thanks for that, but it doesn't work with the newest version of Evernote (7.5.2). There is frankly no troubleshooting anywhere to be found in this version of the application. I see now that Evernote gives me between one and three results for my searches, but I know that there should be hundreds. Are there any other solutions possible to fix this? Is downgrade to previous version an option?

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Studios said:

There is frankly no troubleshooting anywhere to be found in this version of the application.

I hold down the option key while clicking the Help menu

If you are not going to return the delete button to the sidebar, then at least make it an option that you can add to the tool bar in the actual note view. At the moment, you can do only precious little with the customization.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, midtoad said:

If you are not going to return the delete button to the sidebar, then at least make it an option that you can add to the tool bar in the actual note view. At the moment, you can do only precious little with the customization.

Amen. 

Or ar least put some peaceful scenery in all of they gray space. Or a random thought of the day. 

• Level 5*

This is the same logic as to why the Mac version doesn't have indent/outdent buttons. It would confuse the user. It is much more intuitive to only let them indent/outdent by using the CMD-Shift-[ and CMD-Shift-] keyboard shortcuts.

Archived