Print to Evernote?

rafikiphoto

Idea

I was checking-in for a flight and after sending to my printer to print off the boarding pass I noticed a printer dialogue option to 'Print to Evernote'.  Curious, I selected it and then clicked 'Print'. A file explorer box popped up asking where to save the pdf. I selected the default 'Documents' folder and off it went. I synchronised Evernote and looked for the boarding pass in Notebooks but couldn't find it anywhere. How does 'Print to Evernote' from a printer dialogue work. How do I find the result in Evernote?

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Device/Platform?      edit: moved to the Windows forum

I'm on a Mac and we have a print > pdf > Evernote
It doesn't work either; this is being addressed in the release feedback discussion

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, rafikiphoto said:

I was checking-in for a flight and after sending to my printer to print off the boarding pass I noticed a printer dialogue option to 'Print to Evernote'.  Curious, I selected it and then clicked 'Print'. A file explorer box popped up asking where to save the pdf. I selected the default 'Documents' folder and off it went. I synchronised Evernote and looked for the boarding pass in Notebooks but couldn't find it anywhere. How does 'Print to Evernote' from a printer dialogue work. How do I find the result in Evernote?

My guess would be you will find the boarding pass in the generic Windows "Documents" folder.  You need to save it to your Evernote import folder, if you have one.  Tools - Import Folders to set one up.

On 9/6/2018 at 5:55 PM, CalS said:

My guess would be you will find the boarding pass in the generic Windows "Documents" folder.  You need to save it to your Evernote import folder, if you have one.  Tools - Import Folders to set one up.

That's not exactly 'printing to Evernote' though.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, rafikiphoto said:

That's not exactly 'printing to Evernote' though.

Not exactly printing in general.  ?

The thing is Three ways I know of that things get added to EN:  mailed to ONE’s EN email address, placed in an import folder, or added directly via clipper or some other app to which one has given access.  Seems the print to wants option 2.  

• Level 5

This whole discussion is very interesting. @rafikiphoto, what version of the Evernote Windows app do you have? Is it the one downloaded from evernote.com, or from the Windows store? I've never seen this option; but I'm on old versions of both Windows and Evernote.

"Print to Evernote" does seem really wacky. But if what it does is generate a PDF of the file or Web page or whatever, to be put into the Evernote import folder and then automatically imported from there by Evernote, it is sort of like printing, in the same way that "printing to PDF" is. Essentially that's what it would be doing, with the added step of having the PDF vacuumed up into EN. It would obviously be better if it knew where your EN import folder was and just created the file there, rather than you having to tell it.

I followed the advice of CalS. I Created an Evernote folder and linked it to Evernote/Inbox with Tools>Import Folders. Now I can select text then select Print. Choose 'Print To Evernote' and the selected text appears as a pdf in my Evernote inbox. I have the latest Windows version from evernote.com.1392089135_Screenshot(221).thumb.png.81960cf50aae99d38dfa0788e03fde51.png1303971548_Screenshot(217).thumb.png.6ffced0d3d64714256c942a7a7f40f09.png933973565_Screenshot(218).thumb.png.ef1d28cd78686a6d6d2bcad9a6f96181.png1138500407_Screenshot(220).thumb.png.75c2b2c18f5b3496f68e727770c08b48.pngo

Archived