Sticky Note equivalent

ToddNeville

Idea

Is anyone aware of a "Sticky Note" equivalent that integrates with Evernote?  Simple, low function extension of Evernote.

The issue I'm trying to solve:  My Evernote implementation is complex, I have a lot of stuff in there, hundreds of notes, all organized.  However, it is NOT quick to open and use, even with shortcuts.  I use a Mac StickyNote to keep my quick to-do list (3-4 lines of text) always visible in the corner of my screen.  However, Apple has invested less than zero in sticky notes - no sync between laptops or to iOS, no iOS version at all, no connectivity to things like evernote, etc).  Likewise, I use a separate (disconnected) sticky note app on my iOS phone to keep a quick list visible.  This is super clunky. 

My wish: 

A small colored stickie or two on my desktop that is always visible, and linked to a note (called 'stickie?) in evernote.  I should be able to light edit in the stickie (simple txt only), or power edit in evernote (edit the linked note).  Likewise, there should be an iOS app that shows the same stickie on my phone (synced) with the same attributes (light edit in the stickie, full edit in linked note within evernote app).  Ideally, the iOS stickie would even be visible in the phone via swiping from the home screen or (even better) display on my lock screen if I wish (a few apps have figured out how to do this).  ie: see your to-do list without unlocking your phone.  This sounds a bit like the Evernote widget on iOS, but with some refinement to specify what 'note' to show by default?  ....however not aware of anything even close to a "stickie" on Mac OS or Windows?

I know this type of investment likely does not align directly with Evernote's strategy to push into business (ie: Slack) but I think it may help the grassroots adoption, which in turn drives the business user adoption?

Stickies, pretty please?  Don't care if it is actually the Mac Stickies app - can be the "Evernote Stickies App" which integrates with Evernote and works across multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Mac, Windows)

Evernote_Stickies.jpg

11 replies to this idea

I use Notezilla, https://www.conceptworld.com/Notezilla. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than no sticky notes. As a sticky notes app, Notezilla is pretty good. 

You can use Notezilla's send to email function to send notes to your Evernote email address. Notezilla has a companion Android app; notes sync between Windows and Android. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ToddNeville said:

My wish: 

A small colored stickie or two on my desktop that is always visible, and linked to a note (called 'stickie?)

Mac's Stickie app allows for a note links1628434023_ScreenShot2018-08-13at12_02_40.png.167e9ce216b72f7ca4ac4c9d8ba19a78.png

I can't find anything that presents the note content.

The Android Evernote widget can do that and a lot more, would be nice if it was implemented in other platforms. 

Unfortunately the similar looking version for iOS is nearly useless in my view, probably security issues imposed by Apple, etc.

... as you mentioned Windows, there is 'Sticky Notes' which works fine but (to save you lots of time), there is a very helpful instruction at http://getgui.com/blog/windows/evernote-sticky-notes-error-411-length-required-on-request-activation-link-to-re-authorize-user-account-sync-notes/#solution

... the only thing I have found not to work across multiple devices is the colour of the note.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, munificus said:

... just thought to also mention that you can create/edit/delete the Sticky Note directly through Evernote (Individual Sticky Notes are saved in a Notebook called 'Sticky Notes')

Any references to how?  I assume your comment is centered around the "Evernote Sticky Note" application on Windows, but the app from Edo-Soft appears to be no longer available?

You're quite correct, this is the "Evernote Sticky Notes" App which one can still download  at https://filehippo.com/download_evernote_sticky_notes/

... but do do use the helpful instruction at http://getgui.com/blog/windows/evernote-sticky-notes-error-411-length-required-on-request-activation-link-to-re-authorize-user-account-sync-notes/#solution

or you won't be able to link it to your Evernote account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, munificus said:

You're quite correct, this is the "Evernote Sticky Notes" App which one can still download  at.....

munificus:  Thank you for your replies, this is super helpful.  Ridiculous that Evernote does not create this in the base implementation, there are so many strings discussing this that I have found, obviously a wide topic.  There does not seem to be a Mac version - any idea if that exists?

9 hours ago, munificus said:

You're quite correct, this is the "Evernote Sticky Notes" App which one can still download  at https://filehippo.com/download_evernote_sticky_notes/

... but do do use the helpful instruction at http://getgui.com/blog/windows/evernote-sticky-notes-error-411-length-required-on-request-activation-link-to-re-authorize-user-account-sync-notes/#solution

or you won't be able to link it to your Evernote account.

Amen!!  I just wrote this to Simon: You have saved my sanity! I NEED Evernote Sticky Notes to survive work and family. Please never stop!! You have made this 63 yr old Grandmother/Medical Informatics Nurse so very happy! Thank you!  

• Like 2

I want to second this request. My use case is a little different. Right now when I am in a meeting and taking notes, on my desk I have a sticky pad. If something occurs to me about the meeting itself, I will jot it on a sticky note so that I see it. For example, while Mary is explaining the next quarter estimates (and I am taking notes), I might realize that once she is done I need to clarify with John who will follow up with the supplier tomorrow. There does not seem to be a graceful way to keep taking notes in EN while jotting down this random thought. When I write an actual sticky note on the desk, it is there staring at me and I will remember to ask.

Ideally, EN would have a translucent sticky note in a corner that is visible even when EN is in full screen on the Mac, and have a hotkey to cycle between the sticky note and the note I am writing. When a random thought hits me, I could immediately switch to the sticky not, jot it down, then switch back to the EN note where the cursor is still in the right place.