Scannable for Android

Matthew Mulvaney

Idea

Scannable was my absolute go-to app on my iPhone for any number of reasons (integration with other services, quality of the product, etc).

In moving to an Android device, I wish there was a standalone version of the Scannable app for Android. While the scanner within Evernote is okay, the Scannable app was most certainly better. It worked very with with so many other applications and services.

I am hopeful that the team at Evernote might consider releasing a standalone version of Scannable for Android. I know I would appreciate it and I suspect others would as well!

• Like 5

27 replies to this idea

Thanks for the feedback. I tried a bunch of alternatives (AdobeScan, CamScanner, TinyScanner Pro, GeniusScan, Office Lens, and more) and all pale in comparison to the Evernote Scannable app for iOs.

Given that users pay for the Evernote experience, perhaps it's not too much to ask for the same apps across platforms?

• Like 4

Complete agreed. Just changed from IP7+ to Mate 20x. Not to ignite OS wars but none is as fast (& sharp for its speed) . I used scannable and scanner pro by readdle before. And these app does not need prior reg like adobe

Using MS Office lens as an alternative, however prev in ios lens only allowed 10pages of pdf. Have not tried its limit yet. 

• Like 1

I too would like Scannable on Android.  Like Matthew, I was on Apple OS and have been using the app for a long time. Now thought I try android and found that it is not available! 

Is there a reason why it's not available on Android?

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, korky said:

Is there a reason why it's not available on Android?

Hi.  Mainly I think because many of the features of Scannable were added to the main Evernote app,  and someone,  somewhere,  decided it wasn't cost effective to convert the iOS code to Android to mirror what already existed.  If you go to the top of this page there's a counter for users to register their support for the suggestion - that so far still stands at 0.

• Like 1

I don't want to be the one to bring up a dead thread but what I find frustrating is that the android evernote scanner saves what you scan as a picture(png) and not as a PDF as Scannable does. I feel that having my documents saved as PDF is much more flexible when it comes time to print out a document or send it to someone to annotate.

Edit: just noticed that there is a feature request out for this:

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Matthew Mulvaney said:

I tried a bunch of alternatives (AdobeScan, CamScanner, TinyScanner Pro, GeniusScan, Office Lens, and more) and all pale in comparison to the Evernote Scannable app for iOs.

I'm not an Android user but the alternatives seem comparable on the IOS platform.
What features are you  looking for?

On 1/23/2019 at 9:33 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Mainly I think because many of the features of Scannable were added to the main Evernote app,  and someone,  somewhere,  decided it wasn't cost effective to convert the iOS code to Android to mirror what already existed.  If you go to the top of this page there's a counter for users to register their support for the suggestion - that so far still stands at 0.

voted HOT

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 1/23/2019 at 9:33 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  We don't know,  but I wouldn't think so.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, aswanson said:

Exactly, please bring it out to EN andriod or bring in PDF feature to main EN app

My point previously was that Evernote for Android is already capable of most of Scannables features.  Six votes here (in a couple of years) seems to mean most Evernote users are happy with that situation.  If Scannable is so much better,  which of its features are you missing in Evernote for Android.  The Evernote app already captures documents to PDF.

As a long time iOS user, I am giving Android another whirl w a Pixel 3a.

I agree with @maiaz, the one feature I used quite frequently in Scannable was the ability to fix auto-cropping.

If this one feature was folded into the Android app, I wouldn't miss Scannable as much.  My workaround right now is to be thankful Scannable still installs to an old iPhone 5 I have lying around!

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, chinarut said:

As a long time iOS user, I am giving Android another whirl w a Pixel 3a.

I agree with @maiaz, the one feature I used quite frequently in Scannable was the ability to fix auto-cropping.

If this one feature was folded into the Android app, I wouldn't miss Scannable as much.  My workaround right now is to be thankful Scannable still installs to an old iPhone 5 I have lying around!

The Android app can auto-crop.  Tap the image thumbnail just after you scanned it,  and you should see a 'save as' option.  Choose 'document' and the app will crop down to what it thinks are the edges.  Other options are available...

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, chinarut said:

@gazumped you are correct, Android has auto-cropping.  What is missing is the ability to manually adjust the edges like you can in Scannable which @maiaz is referring to.

Ah.  If you take a picture on 'manual' instead of 'auto' it's possible to crop manually,  and if you find a document isn't being recognized fully in 'auto' mode it can help to add or adjust lighting and/ or use a better contrasting background.  Adobe Scan and Office Lens are also alternative scanners that can save to Evernote.  I agree though - the ability to edit cropped edges is not presently a feature.

• Like 1

Is there a good alternative to Scannable for all my Android users?

The entire business world lives on Microsoft and many of us use Android. Of all the users I manage- 2/3rds are on Android. So we either have a case of Cyber-Bigotry OR I don't care. Personally, I recommend iPhones OR Google Pixels to my users. Apple builds great hardware and I support a number of Apple users on my VPN working on their Windows 10 systems. Evernote should  look at the Big Tent instead of the 'special' tent. 

I've used both many of us just prefer to use Android. Many of the network apps I use are Android only because Apple doesn't allow them on the APP store.

BTW - I love Evernote but ONENote is a possibility if EverNote will not support all of us. 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Lemmy_Caution said:

Hi.  What did you want to use Scannable for on your Android?  If it's to get content to Evernote,  the standard Evernote app does exactly that. If it's to get content for other applications or sharing,  there are a zillion existing apps that service Android users,  not least Adobe Scan and Microsoft Office Lens which do pretty much everything - (including share to Evernote...)

On 3/17/2020 at 12:27 PM, Lemmy_Caution said:

As an Android user and someone who loves the ease and use of Scannable, I really hate to admit it but I discovered my alternative is to use an iPad Pro (!).   While it’s not optimized for it, (think the iPhone app sideways at 12.9”) - it is a pleasure to use.   It’s snappy and, as I mentioned above, I can adjust auto-crop of individual pages as needed, send my scans to PDF Expert for annotation (the built-in annotation tool in Evernote no longer cuts it esp if you are using an Apple Pencil) and then save the PDF to Evernote for search and reference.

While it’s a bit of an extreme “alternative” - it’s what I’ve settled on while upgrading my ancient (2007) MacBook to an iPad Pro.  I still use Scannable on my iPhone 5 for simpler scans that go directly to Evernote.

I see this thread is a couple of years old, but I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth. I used to use CamScanner for years but found out they are based in China. I just don't trust that anymore, as I have passwords and other sensitive data like medical records, SS numbers, etc. I tried Adobe Scan but it was Way too slow. I looked into Clear Scan. It worked ok, but again, a Chinese company. I have a Galaxy s22 Ultra. Does anyone know of an Android app that Isn't made in China that scans quickly? Thanks 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Chrispolotic said:

I see this thread is a couple of years old, but I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth. I used to use CamScanner for years but found out they are based in China. I just don't trust that anymore, as I have passwords and other sensitive data like medical records, SS numbers, etc. I tried Adobe Scan but it was Way too slow. I looked into Clear Scan. It worked ok, but again, a Chinese company. I have a Galaxy s22 Ultra. Does anyone know of an Android app that Isn't made in China that scans quickly? Thanks 

? Evernote for Android will scan documents for you. Adobe and Microsoft also have 'scanner' products.