Evernote major bug

sam20e

Idea

Hello, 

when we use the latest version, if you search and highlight a note content, the selection is going off. This is a major bug confirmed by @Austin G.

Internal ticket ID : #2432763

I keep on contacting them via ticket 3-4 times now and still they don't have any idea when exactly they are going to fix this issue. Because of this issue I'm stuck with an older version which is : 6.7.5.5825.

Come on guys, we are paying every month but still we cannot use your latest version because of this bug. Can someone please prioritize this issue?

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  If we're talking about the Windows client,  the 'latest release' was a couple of days ago -

...and if this still shows the same issue,  then any comments are probably best left in that thread.

Just my opinion,  but as a former manager of a busy ISP support team I can't tell you how much it helps to keep us all on point when one or more customers sends an "are we there yet?" message multiple times per day...  certainly helps keep a couple of people (who would prefer to be working on fixing the bug) busy sorting the reminder emails from new reports,  copy logs and answers to questions relating to other users' bugs we're working on...

• Ex Employees
9 hours ago, sam20e said:

Hello, 

when we use the latest version, if you search and highlight a note content, the selection is going off. This is a major bug confirmed by @Austin G.

Internal ticket ID : #2432763

I keep on contacting them via ticket 3-4 times now and still they don't have any idea when exactly they are going to fix this issue. Because of this issue I'm stuck with an older version which is : 6.7.5.5825.

Come on guys, we are paying every month but still we cannot use your latest version because of this bug. Can someone please prioritize this issue?

Hi Sam. We're still working on a fix. Please know that we're looking into it. Thanks for your patience. 

Hi @Austin G I reported this issue 3 months ago around april. after that you guys released few other updates. why it was not included? I'm really surprised that other users not reporting this issue. may be they never notice? i don't know. Could you please ask them to release a minor fix or something like that? I really hate to use one older version just because of this bug.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, sam20e said:

Hi @Austin G I reported this issue 3 months ago around april. after that you guys released few other updates. why it was not included?

Because they're evidently still working on it, according to what @Austin G just said.

1 hour ago, sam20e said:

I'm really surprised that other users not reporting this issue.

Maybe they have; there's other places to report issues than the forums. Or maybe they haven't noticed it. I haven't; I'm not even sure what it the actual issue is, given that your description is a little vague, so I can't reproduce it.

1 hour ago, sam20e said:

Could you please ask them to release a minor fix or something like that?

Not sure how they can release a fix that they haven't finished yet. And even if they did, they'd be adding it to the next release, which has known issues as well. They don't patch old versions, at least in my experience.

I'm not sure that I'd classify this as a major bug. Annoying, to you at least and possibly others, but does it actually result in loss of data? Because, in case you haven't been following the beta threads, they've had at least one of those. Data loss is certainly major, and at a guess (because that's how my company works), data loss issues would be given a very high priority over annoyance bugs.

I'm not trying to make light of your issue, but software development isn't a "hey presto, snap-your-fingers, it's fixed, ship it!" deal. Sometimes bugs can be extremely difficult to find and fix, and sometimes bugs are prioritized down, for any number of reasons. That's just the way it can work.

@jefito I know they are working on it. But Austin had a direct remote connection with my laptop and we confirmed this bug last April.  I can only think that it's not prioritized properly. 

Let me explain. 

I have more than 500 notes. So I wont be able to scroll up and down all the time. Because of this "search" function is super important for me. So lets say I search "mac"  then i will get around 10-20 search result. so now lets say i wanted to copy a content from that note, i will highlight, and then before i could click right click or when i press ctrl, the "selection" will be gone. so I have to select again and copy. the highlight selection shouldn't go off. That is the bug. It's not just annoying but it's super time consuming to do my actual work. coz i need to repeat 2 times everytime to copy a single content. because of this im still using an outdated version. 

so may be for you its not a major issue, but as a premium subscriber im unable to do my work coz if this bug and forced my self to use a outdated version. 

but software development isn't a "hey presto, snap-your-fingers, it's fixed, ship it!"

of course i understand that. I work for a development firm as well so i know how to prioritize bugs.  3 months + counting in order to fix something which was working in 6.7.5 is unacceptable. That's what I'm trying to tell. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, sam20e said:

I have more than 500 notes. So I wont be able to scroll up and down all the time. Because of this "search" function is super important for me. So lets say I search "mac"  then i will get around 10-20 search result. so now lets say i wanted to copy a content from that note, i will highlight, and then before i could click right click or when i press ctrl, the "selection" will be gone. so I have to select again and copy. the highlight selection shouldn't go off. That is the bug. It's not just annoying but it's super time consuming to do my actual work. coz i need to repeat 2 times everytime to copy a single content. because of this im still using an outdated version. 

Thanks for the explanation. This may be the 'focus' bug that I've seen reports of in the 6.13 beta topics. I've never seen it myself; maybe that's because I don't work the same way that you do. Hard to tell; I certainly have more than 500 notes in each of two accounts, and I use Evernote every day, extensively at work. 

1 hour ago, sam20e said:

of course i understand that. I work for a development firm as well so i know how to prioritize bugs.  3 months + counting in order to fix something which was working in 6.7.5 is unacceptable. That's what I'm trying to tell. 

Sorry, but data loss == show-stopper in my book (or should; sadly it didn't stop them from letting that bug go out in public -- they corralled it eventually); and an annoyance bug is lower priority, always. As it is, they do know about it, and are working on it. They've made some large architectural changes relatively recently, including using a new version of their main editing framework (CEF) and at a guess, this bug is related. It may be difficult / unfeasible to go back to the prior architecture.

Meanwhile, you're using an older version that doesn't have the bug. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that; it's working for you, right? Meanwhile, keep checking the Beta topics in the Windows Feedback forum, and hopefully it will be resolved soon. If you need to work on released versions, you should avoid the betas until they get kicked around thoroughly, and wait wait for the next GA that has a fix for this bug.

Edit: Hey, I was able to replicate this. Pretty annoying, I agree. I did find that if you highlight a word, then press Ctrl+A, the seems to stick, but I haven't tested it exhaustively.

• Level 5*
On 7/12/2018 at 10:49 PM, jefito said:

This may be the 'focus' bug that I've seen reports of in the 6.13 beta topics. I've never seen it myself; maybe that's because I don't work the same way that you do.

Happened when there was text in the search bar and one attempted to click in the note panel.  Seems to be fixed in 6.14.

8 hours ago, jeffreytomascak said:

Since this last update, i can't search certain words in my notes. This makes evernote useless to me and very disappointing, I have been a user for years with over 400 notes

Lots of people would be happy to try to help you with your problem, but you may want to post your own separate topic plus be a little more specific and descriptive.

Archived