Open Link with Desktop not with Browser

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, reoe67 said:

I have Links to Evernote in a Excel-Sheet. I would like that it opens the Evernote-Desktop not the Browser (Chrome) to watch the note. What can i do?

Evernote has three types of note links

1. Public browser
  2. Private browser
  3. Private in-app (classical)

To obtain the private link;  on my Mac I right click on a note and select Copy Note Link
I can force the in-app link by pressing the option key

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, reoe67 said:

I have Links to Evernote in a Excel-Sheet. I would like that it opens the Evernote-Desktop not the Browser (Chrome) to watch the note. What can i do?

I think this still works.  Instructs how to reset to open in the desktop.  Still goes through the browser, but you end up in the desktop.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s12/sh/1a0658b4-b183-4abf-beeb-40a7c6515acb/9129e9c30b255d48

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2017 at 10:32 AM, reoe67 said:

I have a workaround that works for me from V6.7 on the Windows app. When I reference Evernote links in Todoist, if I select the note and right click with the mouse and select copy internal link, it will copy the WEB LINK that starts with https://www.evernote.com/shard/.....

BUT,

If I do CTRL + ALT + L keyboard shortcut within the note, it copies the APP link that starts with evernote:///view/.... 

I am not sure why but it works for me. Again, this might be an older version thing too with the Windows app. 

Try that out.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
38 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

If I do CTRL + ALT + L keyboard shortcut within the note, it copies the APP link that starts with evernote:///view/.... 

I am not sure why but it works for me. Again, this might be an older version thing too with the Windows app. 

In the latest Windows version (6.17.5.8273), if you right click on a note in the note list, you should see an entry called "Copy Internal Link  Ctrl+Alt+L". and you get the link type you note. You don't get that in the normal context menu when you right-click inside a note (it would be nice if you did), but it's evidently the same thing.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
43 minutes ago, TonyLim said:

I have deleted all the cookies.  It still open Evernote Web.  Not Evernote Desktop.

You might contact support and ask them where the enappinstalled cookie is stored in the browser of your choice.  At least that is what it was name in the past.  Delete that cookie and you should be asked where you want to open a note link the next time you access a link.

On 2/13/2020 at 12:15 AM, CalS said:

You might contact support and ask them where the enappinstalled cookie is stored in the browser of your choice.  At least that is what it was name in the past.  Delete that cookie and you should be asked where you want to open a note link the next time you access a link.

Ok. Did that. Here is the response.

Noelle C. (Evernote Help and Learning)

17 feb. 16:44 PST

Hello there Luis,

Thank you for your response.

I understand notes used to open in your app regardless which type of link.

Upon further checking, it seems the enappinstalled cookie responsible for this behavior no longer shows up in the list of cookies. Hence, currently, where the note will open (app or browser) is dependent on its type of link–regular or in-app.

I completely understand how it would have been more efficient for you to access all note links in the app. I’ve gone ahead and made note of this for our development team. While I am unable to guarantee that this will be implemented, I appreciate you bringing this to our attention for consideration.

I appreciate your understanding in this matter. Kindly let me know if you have outstanding concerns.

Sincerely,

Noelle C.
Customer Support Representative

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, l3utterfish said:

Ok. Did that. Here is the response.

Okay, good to know the cookie is gone, why would be interesting any ENer's lurking...

Not sure how accurate the above is though. 

1. The links in the daily reminder email are a Shard type link, https://www.evernote.com/shard... which open in the desktop for me. 
  2. If I Copy Internal Link and paste in an email I get the same shard type but the note opens in the browser for me.
  3. When a link is pasted into another note you get a View type link, evernote:///view/... which opens in the desktop for me.
  4. If I copy internal link and paste into another note I get the nice Green underlined note title and a "View" link.  If I right away paste into and email I get a Shard link when I really want the View link if I want to open in the desktop.  But Shard link works with reminder emails????

Makes no sense, sounds like a bug to me.

EDIT:  Just tried the same reminder email link that worked earlier, that is opening in the desktop, and now it opens in the browser.

Edited by CalS

Ok I am on 6.23.2.8859.

When I am within the note, I press CTRL + ALT + L and then paste that I still get the evernote:// app link so it works for me. 

If I right click the note, and select COPY INTERNAL LINK, then I get the weblink to open Evernote in the web-browser.

So this is not working for others?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
28 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

Ok I am on 6.23.2.8859.

When I am within the note, I press CTRL + ALT + L and then paste that I still get the evernote:// app link so it works for me. 

If I right click the note, and select COPY INTERNAL LINK, then I get the weblink to open Evernote in the web-browser.

So this is not working for others?

Yeah works for me, it creates the non-Shard link.  What I don't get is link in email reminders were working up unitl this morning and now they don't.  Maybe I had a DAA but I don't think so...

EDIT:  Confusion sets in because Copy Internal Link shows Ctrl+Alt+L as the shortcut which it isn't when selecting the link through the dropdown.  Ctrl+Alt+L is the way to get links that open in the desktop.

Image.png.e8bbaa206b29580cb43fd60976f69c40.png

Edited by CalS
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

EDIT:  Confusion sets in because Copy Internal Link shows Ctrl+Alt+L as the shortcut which it isn't when selecting the link through the dropdown.  Ctrl+Alt+L is the way to get links that open in the desktop.

Might depend on your definition of "internal link"   
Both private-web and in-app links are considered as internal

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Might depend on your definition of "internal link"   
Both private-web and in-app links are considered as internal

Well when pasting into an external app if Ctrl+Alt+L from within the note generates one type of link address and clicking on the drop down (which shows a hot key of Ctrl+Alt+L) generates another kind of link address, that's confusing for my feeble mind.

• 3 months later...