New Phone and Lost Everything

The battery on my old Droid Turbo 2 went kaput so Verizon sent me a refurbished one c(same model). Yesterday, I installed Evernote on my new phone expecting all of my notebooks to populate. But, there's NOTHING! It knows I have an account (shows device (old phone) and new phone) but there are zero notes or notebooks. And it asked me what kind of membership I wanted. I had a basic membership. I revoked my old phone but still nothing. HELP! I had EVERYTHING on here. How do I get it back? It doesn't make sense that it would be on my phone and not in my"account." I had Christmas gift lists, my weightlifting regimen, various to-do lists, etc. I'm lost! Thank you! I sent a FB message to Evernote and posted on their FB page, but haven't received any type of response.

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-21 at 10:28 AM, Frugal Strong said:

Yesterday, I installed Evernote on my new phone expecting all of my notebooks to populate

Little data is populated on the phone; it's retrieved via the internet

It seems like you created a new account.  Your data should still be there under the old account userid/password

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Frugal Strong said:

Nope, same account. It even showed my device and when it was last accessed, but no data.

Are you able to check the web platform.  This accesses the master version of your notes on the server.  The devices only maintain a copy

Thank you. I've reached out via FB, IG, and a support ticket. It took them over a week to respond to my FB message and it wasn't very helpful. I actually just paid to become a premium member in hopes that I'd actually get some help, but so far, nothing. I definitely won't be using Evernote again. I'm very disappointed in their customer service.

• Level 5*
On 9/27/2017 at 1:39 PM, Frugal Strong said:

I hadn't downloaded the web platform prior to switching phones but did so last week after researching on the forum and nothing is there. But again, it showed I had an existing account.

If you synced on the old phone there should be notes on the web.  No notes on the web means one of two things:

1. The notes were never synced to the web and your notes were lost with the death of the old phone, unless you can CPR it.
  2. You may have two accounts, probably with very similar usernames, one with notes, one without.

Don't think there are any other alternatives, sorry.

Hmm, that may be the problem. I don't know if I ever synced them. I think I just assumed that automatically happened or perhaps didn't realize I needed to do anything. Every other app I use (My Fitness Pal, Fit Bit, etc) still had all my data, even after switching phones, but I didn't specifically do anything I'm aware of to make that happen. 

I know I don't have 2 accounts.

This sucks. <sigh>

Same problem here in terms of web... Device has locked me out (upgraded Evernote... BIG MISTAKE) and when I log into the web interface there are NO NOTES. I've used the web interface before and had no issues so something has changed.

I feel like I've been sucker punched...

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Frugal Strong said:

Would the fact that I never downloaded the web version (that is, my only device was my phone, not a phone and a laptop) matter?

There is no web version to download; it’s just access through a browser

Syncing is    Phone  <>  Servers  <>  Laptop

Did your notes sync between your phone and laptop?

It doesn't appear that they did. I never had Evernotes downloaded on my laptop. I didn't realize that was a requirement to keep your notes safe. I use lots of apps and have never downloaded them on my laptop and haven't run into this issue before. Everything I read made it seem like you only needed to download Evernote on a computer if you wanted to use it there, too, but I just always accessed it via the app on my phone.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Frugal Strong said:

I use lots of apps and have never downloaded them on my laptop and haven't run into this issue before.

If you keep your data in one place on a single device then you risk losing data when the device fails.  I like the idea of backup versions of my data on different devices and in the cloud

This still doesn’t explain why your data didn’t sync to the cloud.  Is it working on your new phone?

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Frugal Strong said:

If I had realized I needed to add a second device to have the data elsewhere, I certainly would have!

You don’t have to have multiple devices, one suffices.  If you were using EN on your phone and you had WiFi your notes would have synced and would appear on the web version.  

I don’t know, only thing I can think of to cause this other than a bug of some sort is two accounts.  That’s all I got.  

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, Frugal Strong said:

I appreciate your help, thank you. I used it in my phone and had access to WiFi, so not sure what's going on. Still waiting to get any help whatsoever from Evernote. 

You are welcome.  Hope they have something for you.

It says I'm synced on my new phone although I have zero notebooks because I don't want to waste my time creating new ones. I'm still hoping to get what I had back. If not, I'm ditching Evernote because I'm not going to risk losing everything again and their customer service is non-existent.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Frugal Strong said:

It says I'm synced on my new phone although I have zero notebooks because I don't want to waste my time creating new ones.

I don’t know what is “saying”

I’d suggest creating at least one test notebook and note, and checking the web to confirm syncing

• 8 months later...

Frugal Strong,  I just switched devices since my old phone broke.  I installed the Evernote app and I experienced the same exact thing.  When I installed the app on my new phone it had me sign, so I entered the email address I thought I originally created the app with.  It didn't tell me the account didn't exist it just made me request a new password (since I was entering the password for the initial account.)  Since it didn't tell me I didn't already have an account I assumed that was the email address I used.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, tried another email address and viola, all my notes appeared.  Is there ANY possibility that you opened your account under a different email address?  I really hope so!!!  Good luck!   

• 4 months later...
  • Ex Employees

@Duane Hutton Sorry to hear you had problems. Did you attempt to contact customer support? As noted in this thread, the most common reason for this issue is the customer accidentally created a new account when they signed in because they can't remember what account they had previously signed in as. Our installed clients will pretty much never ask you to re-login. This is nice from a usability perspective, but can be a problem if you don't remember what your login is. Also, some of our installed clients will try to determine from the login page whether you are an existing user vs. a new user. This is cleaner from the perspective of not forcing the user to click "sign in" vs. "sign up". But again, the downside is that the user may accidentally activate a new account when they really were trying to sign into their existing account.

For any other users coming to this thread with a similar issue, please make sure that you did not accidentally create a new account. If you are unsure, contact Evernote customer support and we will gladly help you find out what happened.

Archived