Feature: Nested checkboxes and nested numbering

Erik_In_Carlsbad

Idea

I would like to use Evernote to create checklists and project plans.

Being able to have nested/indented checkboxes and nested/indented numbering would be ideal.

For example, allowing numbering at all levels, e.g.:

a.
   b.

...etc...

Allowing checkboxes to be indented would be very useful as well  For example, with [] substituting for the Evernote checkbox:

[]
   []
   []
[]

I think this functionality could be easily implemented.  Obviously full outlining functionality, as popularly requested in another thread here, would be ideal, but this functionality is simple and would suffice in the meantime.

Thanks,
Erik

• Like 2

18 replies to this idea

Dear Evernote: Another voice asking to please prioritize nested numbered and bulleted lists. There are lots of bugs in the app even when using on the desktop app if cut/pasting lists. Seems to break the number order and restart at 1, or sometimes the nested bullets get messed up. Thank you!

I concur with the idea that being able to indent checklists or ANY text reliably for that matter would be extremely helpful.

However, I've noticed that whenever I find a bug or serious flaw in Evernote — such as the DEPLORABLE text editing capabilities — you will find tons of forum posts about it going back 5+ years.

They obviously don't give a *****.

Sticking to the subject at hand — I still can't fathom why a NOTE TAKING application would not have a decent indenting capability when even the MOST BASIC text editors do it well.

There are FREE and OPEN SOURCE text editing software packs that do the job 1,000 times better — such as TinyMCE and I am sure there are options for whatever the underlying source code is for this application.

I am not looking for a full featured Microsoft Word text editor — but Evernote is so terrible as even the most basic text editor that I'd rather use PICO in the OS X terminal than this garbage, and I'm a paid user (for other reasons).

The minute I find another app that does this well and I can use for my note taking workflow needs I am ditching Evernote.

My view of notes is: a short piece of writing that gives you information : a brief comment or explanation.

If I need word processing features, I use a dedicated word processing app

Exactly. And who would a note taking application allow me to drag and drop PDFs and images into the application, OCR scan the images making the text within them searchable, and then allow me to prepare a slide show presentation from those notes...

But indenting and editing text is way beyond the capabilities of our developers.

Of course I should have known the fan boys are gonna pounce on my troll post. At least that keeps pushing it to the top where someone who gives a ***** about usability might take my comments (and the comments of thousands of people) seriously.

If hundreds of people have taken the time to complain about this in the forums then thousands have been angry enough to just drop the app instead.

• Level 5*
On 1/12/2017 at 1:40 PM, Erik_In_Carlsbad said:

Allowing checkboxes to be indented would be very useful as well  For example, with [] substituting for the Evernote checkbox:

Why not just use the built-in indenting facility? Ctrl+M / Ctrl+Shift+M (indent/outdent) work fine for me...

• Like 1
17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Best advice for using Evernote in the way you want is "don't".  While the bulleting and numbering features are better (and more consistent) on most devices with the new 'common editor',  they're still not up to word processing level.  I'd suggest you use third party software to create your documents and then attach the files to notes.  You'll be able to open the file from any device that has the same third party software (or something that can read its files) installed.

Thanks -- you gave me a great idea that seems to work for outlines.

Using 3rd party software -- in this case, MS Word -- I created a skeleton of a multilevel numbered list (example below) and copied it to Evernote. I was pleased to see that Evernote retains the numbering hierarchy.  I can use Tab to promote/demote headings, and hitting Return adds a new properly-numbered line.

1. test
    1. test
      1. test
        1. test

The formatting carries over to my Evernote iPhone app.

The only problem is that without a "tab" key in the iPhone, it's not possible to promote/demote in there, but Return adds a new line just fine.

Thanks!

-Erik

• Like 1
17 hours ago, jefito said:

Why not just use the built-in indenting facility? Ctrl+M / Ctrl+Shift+M (indent/outdent) work fine for me...

Thanks for letting me know how to indent.  That works great with the checkboxes!  My previous use of the Tab key just added more leading spaces after the checkbox.

Do you know how to indent/outdent in the iPhone app?  (And tab -- see my previous reply).

Thanks,
Erik

On 1/14/2017 at 11:35 AM, csihilling said:

Press the the format button that has 3 dots and lines.  Would be nice to know how your template reacts in IOS.

IMG_0204.PNG

Thanks for the heads-up.

I tried that on the above template.  Indent/outdent correctly promotes/demotes outline numbers, like in the desktop version.  It doesn't indent/outdent to the same number of spaces, so outline from Word->Desktop Evernote->iOS Evernote has some appearance issues, but as long as I contain my OCD, I end up with a perfectly usable solution.

-Erik

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Erik_In_Carlsbad said:

Thanks for the heads-up.

I tried that on the above template.  Indent/outdent correctly promotes/demotes outline numbers, like in the desktop version.  It doesn't indent/outdent to the same number of spaces, so outline from Word->Desktop Evernote->iOS Evernote has some appearance issues, but as long as I contain my OCD, I end up with a perfectly usable solution.

-Erik

You are welcome.  New version for IOS came out today with more formatting options.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, DrunkenCyclist said:

allow me to drag and drop PDFs and images into the application, OCR scan the images making the text within them searchable, and then allow me to prepare a slide show presentation from those notes..

Agreed; these are great features in addition to the note editing

There are reasons I pay to use Evernote premium. There are a lot of good features, but the BASICS of the app are garbage.

If I made a forum post for every bug I found I may as well be a paid tester or QA person on your staff. I could fill up your Jira board with 1,000 tickets in a month.

It's the broken haphazard user experience across the app in so many places that leave me frustrated.

Just trying to make a basic packing list for a camping trip using checklists turns into a nightmare if you're trying to use a phone and the OS X app in tandem.

Nested checklists and simple indenting that works properly is just one of the gripe related to that.

My kids listening to me swear like a pirate and bang my fist on the desk when trying to make the most basic of text edits is testimony to that.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 4/20/2019 at 7:06 PM, snowbiker100 said:

It is completely mind-boggling why Evernote does not have <feature> 

You''re welcome to add your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion  1076022664_ScreenShot2019-04-22at07_10_52.png.31a8d9c9a7cbb1de5d31b6ee8b2fea76.png

I use the Evernote editor, but I know it's only suited to basic notes.
Instead of my mind being boggled, I use a word processing app for extended features.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Best advice for using Evernote in the way you want is "don't".  While the bulleting and numbering features are better (and more consistent) on most devices with the new 'common editor',  they're still not up to word processing level.  I'd suggest you use third party software to create your documents and then attach the files to notes.  You'll be able to open the file from any device that has the same third party software (or something that can read its files) installed.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 6/27/2017 at 8:13 AM, DrunkenCyclist said:

I still can't fathom why a NOTE TAKING application would not have <feature> when even the MOST BASIC text editors do it well.

My view of notes is: a short piece of writing that gives you information : a brief comment or explanation.

I find the Evernote editor adequate for notes
If I need word processing features, I use a dedicated word processing app

Your inability to "fathom" is sad, but meanlngless 59527acfaf8fd_ScreenShot2017-06-27at08_32_33.png.7ab4e0ab1c382df20ea41428046dc64c.png
You're welcome to add your vote this request, voting buttons are in the uppler left corner of the discussion