(Archived) Evernote for Mac 5.1

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hi everyone,

We're very excited to announce some great new functionality in Evernote for Mac. 

• Reminders: Never forget important and in-progress notes
    • Adding a reminder pins the note to the top of your note list 
    • Add a due date to receive in-app and email notifications
    • Mark notes as Done when you complete them
    • See reminders and get notifications for notes in shared notebooks
  • XAuth: view all applications that access your account from Evernote Web Settings
  • Redesigned vertical list view: shows more notes on-screen
  • New text styles: Superscript (CMD Ctrl +) and Subscript (CMD Ctrl -)
  • Edit your Saved Searches

UPDATE: Known Stability Issue - We are aware a stability issue in the Mac App Store release. If you run into a crash on startup, make sure your computer has a name in your System Preferences -> Sharing -> Computer Name (this is a requirement of our new XAuth authentication system). It has been corrected in our direct download release and will be available through the App Store as soon as we get Apple approval. If you can't wait, feel free to download the patched release straight from us below.

Get the latest and greatest here: http://evernote.com/evernote/index.php?file=EvernoteMac

25 replies to this idea

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the new vertical list view. I have had an account for many years but felt Evernote was not quit right for me. This simple new feature addition makes the program so much more useable for me!

Ever since I upgraded to 5.1 evernote is crashing on startup everytime. Is there a workaround?

Process:         Evernote [29131]Path:            /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteIdentifier:      com.evernote.EvernoteVersion:         5.1.3 (401263)App Item ID:     406056744App External ID: 15460580Code Type:       X86 (Native)Parent Process:  launchd [132]User ID:         501Date/Time:       2013-05-30 15:59:05.047 -0700OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)Report Version:  10Interval Since Last Report:          44407 secCrashes Since Last Report:           41Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  37 secPer-App Crashes Since Last Report:   4Anonymous UUID:                      0685D35F-2A36-3B43-5F08-F350EBB338BACrashed Thread:  0  main  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-threadException Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000VM Regions Near 0:--> __PAGEZERO             0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [    4K] ---/--- SM=NUL  /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/MacOS/Evernote    __TEXT                 0000000000001000-000000000066c000 [ 6572K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/MacOS/EvernoteThread 0 Crashed:: main  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread0   libsystem_c.dylib                 0x98aae640 strlen + 161   com.evernote.AGRegex              0x00900f0d -[AGRegex findInString:range:] + 4772   com.evernote.AGRegex              0x0090172f -[AGRegexMatchEnumerator nextObject] + 663   com.evernote.AGRegex              0x0090180f -[AGRegexMatchEnumerator allObjects] + 864   com.evernote.AGRegex              0x00902507 -[AGRegex findAllInString:] + 885   com.evernote.AGRegex              0x00901a78 -[AGRegex replaceWithString:inString:limit:] + 1146   com.evernote.AGRegex              0x0090118b -[AGRegex replaceWithString:inString:] + 567   com.evernote.Evernote             0x000b5c52 0x1000 + 7404348   com.evernote.Evernote             0x001b1d1d 0x1000 + 17728299   com.evernote.Evernote             0x001b29e6 0x1000 + 177610210  com.evernote.ENSharedUtilities    0x00771695 +[ENQuickNote enumeratePendingQuickNotesForLoginIDString:withBlock:] + 126011  com.evernote.Evernote             0x001b293b 0x1000 + 177593112  com.evernote.Evernote             0x0006869b 0x1000 + 42357913  com.evernote.Evernote             0x003b6acc 0x1000 + 388986814  com.evernote.Evernote             0x000527a9 0x1000 + 33373715  com.evernote.Evernote             0x0005354c 0x1000 + 33722816  com.apple.Foundation              0x96c77152 __57-[NSNotificationCenter addObserver:selector:name:object:]_block_invoke_0 + 4917  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x96a72861 ___CFXNotificationPost_block_invoke_0 + 25718  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x969bde9a _CFXNotificationPost + 279419  com.apple.Foundation              0x96c5fc88 -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:] + 9220  com.apple.AppKit                  0x91fb90fe -[NSApplication _postDidFinishNotification] + 36721  com.apple.AppKit                  0x91fb8db8 -[NSApplication _sendFinishLaunchingNotification] + 24922  com.apple.AppKit                  0x91fb5d0f -[NSApplication(NSAppleEventHandling) _handleAEOpenEvent:] + 75123  com.apple.AppKit                  0x91fb5824 -[NSApplication(NSAppleEventHandling) _handleCoreEvent:withReplyEvent:] + 37824  libobjc.A.dylib                   0x93f87628 -[NSObject performSelector:withObject:withObject:] + 7725  com.apple.Foundation              0x96c7a73a __76-[NSAppleEventManager setEventHandler:andSelector:forEventClass:andEventID:]_block_invoke_0 + 12126  com.apple.Foundation              0x96c7a291 -[NSAppleEventManager dispatchRawAppleEvent:withRawReply:handlerRefCon:] + 43027  com.apple.Foundation              0x96c7a08e _NSAppleEventManagerGenericHandler + 17328  com.apple.AE                      0x976c0a35 aeDispatchAppleEvent(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*, unsigned long, unsigned char*) + 33129  com.apple.AE                      0x97695fbe dispatchEventAndSendReply(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*) + 4430  com.apple.AE                      0x97695e7d aeProcessAppleEvent + 31831  com.apple.HIToolbox               0x9a381c58 AEProcessAppleEvent + 10032  com.apple.AppKit                  0x91fb1d4d _DPSNextEvent + 165533  com.apple.AppKit                  0x91fb11dc -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 11934  com.apple.AppKit                  0x91fa763c -[NSApplication run] + 85535  com.apple.AppKit                  0x91f4a666 NSApplicationMain + 105336  com.evernote.Evernote             0x00002ed5 0x1000 + 7893 

Hi from France,

Great app using for quite a few years.

Would love to have possibility to mark note as completed even for the ones without a reminder or deadline.

Thanks

PS also prefered horizontal view of notes

My Evernote app (from the Mac Store) still crashes occasionally when I navigate to different tags.  I'm running Version 5.1.3 (401263).

Some info to help you debug:

• Your first Evernote release with reminders crashed all the time when I had reminders with dates assigned. It usually crashed whenever I tried to navigate to different tags by clicking the tag in the left side bar.
  • I upgraded to your most recent version (5.1.3), and the crashes are definitely reduced.  However, it still crashes every now and then when navigating between tags.  I'm pretty sure it is related to reminders, and I want to say it happens whenever I'm viewing the details of a note with a reminder and then click away to another tag.
  • I use nested tags (e.g. "Work", "Personal", and "Play" with tags underneath).  Not sure if that contributes to the crashing.

So overall - the Mac crashes have definitely reduced since your last update, but they still happen often enough that I think it warrants an additional bug fix.  Let me know if I can produce logs or anything like that to help you diagnose what's going on.

On a side note - I know you guys are getting hammered by the missing horizontal view (I was one of the guys upset that it was gone), but I will say reminders are great and I'm now a happy user of vertical mode.  The reminders feature has totally changed how I use Evernote - it is no longer just a repository of all information I want to track, but with reminders it is now my daily tool for task management - which means the amount of time I spend using Evernote per day has increased probably 1000%.  If I didn't need reminders, I think I would still be upset at the loss of horizontal mode - and I can understand where everyone else is coming from.  But thought you could use some good news that your hard work on reminders has paid off and increased at least one user's engagement with your products.

Please bring back the horizontal view with the list above the notes.  I agree that this full width of the screen format is vital for web shots, smaller screens, graphics, etc.

Please, Please, Please bring it back. I'm using 5.07 until this feature is restored.

Yes-- PLEASE give us the option for choice of list view orientation. Horizontal view is MUCH better for my main use of EN (like E. A. Wilson above: "The Secret Weapon" GTD system-- (http://www.thesecretweapon.org)).

Considering the huge diversity of ways people use EN, it should not be a "one-size-fits-all" app.

Not offerring users a choice was a poor decision. And although the Reminder feature is great, there is no real fundamental reason why it cannot be compatible with either orientation of list view. 

EN:  You have posed this as we can have a horizontal view, or Reminders.  Then give us the choice.  I for one, and I suspect many on this forum, prefer to have Horizontal views and no Reminders.  So give us an older version (and something to convert the database backwards), or a switch to enable Horizontal while disabling Reminders (since the UI designers can't apparently figure out how to have both) and we'll shut up and go away.

+1 to reinstating the horizontal list view please. I just updated and the vertical view really doesn't work for me on my MacBook Pro (which I use all the time). The notes themselves are just too narrow and I need to get the full titles in the list rather than truncated. There needs to be the option to switch between horizontal or vertical.

Please note - it is extremely frustrating to have layout options removed as part of an update!

Please bring back the horizontal view with the list above the notes.  This enables the full width of the screen to be used for the notes which is particularly important for web shots, smaller screens, graphics, etc.

+1, this is outrageous... Why kill functionality? 

This was my default view.

I see others are asking similar questions, but is this "Redesigned vertical list view" mandatory? I've looked all over for a preference setting to put it back, but I can't find it. I understand many people requested a vertical list, but I am NOT one of those. Why wasn't this change just an added layout option?

Yes, using Evernote, I've implement "The Secret Weapon" (http://www.thesecretweapon.org) method of organizing my To Do lists at work and at home (which was mentioned on an Evernote blog post several months ago, and I've since enthusiastically adopted it). And I very much need the original horizontal list view with the list above the notes, because it allows me to quickly sort/order my notes by the special Tag system required by The Secret Weapon method (e.g. Tags beginning with a number or a punctuation mark are neatly placed at the top of my lists in ascending/descending order regardless of when the notes were updated/created etc., and this is very helpful in helping me visually prioritize my tasks throughout the day)

I see others are asking similar questions, but is this "Redesigned vertical list view" mandatory? I've looked all over for a preference setting to put it back, but I can't find it. I understand many people requested a vertical list, but I am NOT one of those. Why wasn't this change just an added layout option?

Fantastic update - I really like the vertical list view, but still miss the horizontal view - especially as Boatguy mentioned for smaller screen (Macbook Air) or small print graphics.

Please add the horizontal view (but don't throw out vertical view) - that one is useful in a lot of other cases. 

Also for your new reminders (which are awesome) - please add the ability to add / modify the reminder for multiple selected notes.

Please bring back the horizontal view with the list above the notes.  This enables the full width of the screen to be used for the notes which is particularly important for web shots, smaller screens, graphics, etc.

Archived