Import spreadsheet into Evernote table

I have information stored in a spreadsheet which I would like to import/place into a table in a note.  I have tried copy/paste, copy and paste tab delimited file, copy and paste comma delimited, pure text, rtf and .doc but all of the data always pastes into one cell.  There appears to be mo import command available.  Any idea how I could accomplish the import?

Thanks, Jim

• Like 1

Have you tried HTML? Evernote for Windows will pull those in if they're in an auto-import folder.

For that matter, copy and paste from Excel will work in Evernote for Windows.

:) It worked in both Mac and Windows!  I exported from Numbers (I assume Excel would work too) to a html page, opened the page in Firefox (either OS), copied, went to Evernote and pasted and a table appears with the data.  Now if I only had control over the data in the table, lol.  I want to be able to select a row or column.  Oh well, thanks.

• Level 5*

In EN Mac, I have found that copy/paste directly from Excel does NOT work so well.

However, what does work well is to copy the cells of interest from Excel, Paste into Word, then select/copy the table from Word and paste into an Evernote Note.  This gives you the opportunity to make any formatting adjustments in Word, if it is necessary.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

JimInSanDiego - Here is an different perspective.

Ask yourself why do you want to paste information from a spreadsheet into an Evernote Note? You could "attach" the spreadsheet to a Note. Would that work for you in this instance?

An easy one: tables you give an extra bit of formatting ability. It doesn't need to be a live spreadsheet, but just the ability to store data in neat columnar fashion can be really useful.

• Level 5*

Ask yourself why do you want to paste information from a spreadsheet into an Evernote Note? You could "attach" the spreadsheet to a Note. Would that work for you in this instance?

Here are few good reasons:

1. You have to be a Premium account owner for Evernote to include Excel files in searches
  2. Although EN Mac will display an Excel file inline, it is not very good and other platforms don't support it.
  3. If you have limited (as in single Excel workbook, << 100 rows) of reference info, it is much more convenient to view and search if you just paste the data into Evernote.

Well the data was in a tab deliminated note program. I am shifting everything to Evernote so I can easily access my notes on a Mac, PC or my iPad. I olny put it into a spreadsheet while trying to get te dat into an Evernote table. I may yet try an attachment but I'm not sure how easy it would be to edit on various platforms. Thanks for the idea. Evernote should post the html inport in their help...wait, there is not real help or manual

I DID IT!       I IMPORTED A SPREADSHEET INTO A TABLE IN EVERNOTE!    IT CAN BE DONE!

I experimented and experimented and stumbled on something that worked.  I had my data in a Mac Numbers spreadsheet.  I copied and pasted it in a note but there was no table.  So I tried exporting the data to a HTML page.  I opened the HTML page in Firefox but copying and pasting a HTML page into a note also didn’t work.  Then, quite accidentally, I copied the HTML data into a new spreadsheet in Numbers.  Most of the formatting also copied in including justification and background colors.  I copied the spreadsheet data to the clipboard again, made a new Evenote note, pasted and Surprise! the data was there in a table including background colors and justifications.  I do not own Excel but the same steps might also work with Excel.  I do not know why or how the new Numbers spreadsheet was different form the old but it worked with the new one.

This morning, I could duplicate the steps with success again.  Give it a try.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Here's the procedure I used to convert a Numbers table to an Evernote table on my MacBook Pro running Yosemite. Cutting and pasting the table did not work.

1. Open Numbers spreadsheet
  2. Copy table to be moved to Evernote
  3. Open Text Edit
  4. Create a new Rich Text document
  5. Paste the table into the new document
  6. Save the Textedit document as HTML
  7. Open HTML in Safari
  8. Copy Table in Safari
  9. Paste into Evernote.
  • 1 month later...
On 2/9/2016 at 11:58 PM, JMichaelTX said:

If you have MS Word, I have found the following to work very well:

1. copy the selected cells in Numbers or Excel
  2. Paste into Word, which creates a table,
  3. Copy Word Table
  4. Paste into EN Note

This worked for me like a charm on Windows using Word and Excel.

Thanks for posting this solution, this was driving me crazy!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 2/8/2016 at 6:58 PM, JMichaelTX said:

3. Copy Word Table
  4. Paste into EN Note

I know this was over a year ago but you really helped me just now. Much appreciated

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2016 at 10:58 AM, JMichaelTX said:

3. Copy Word Table
  4. Paste into EN Note

works like a charm

• 3 months later...
On 2016/2/8 at 9:58 PM, JMichaelTX said:

3. Copy Word Table
  4. Paste into EN Note

Just what I needed! Thanks for the post!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, isaac.joseph said:

@frogdude Doing this gives me sort of a degenerate table that I can't actually resize, add columns to, or anything. 

Works for me.  When I right-click on the table I see5a20b14f87166_ScreenShot2017-11-30at17_25_52.png.52f26853d2dc2f12426fa491ae695522.png

• 3 years later...
在 2014/11/12 在 AM7點07分, JMichaelTX說:

In EN Mac, I have found that copy/paste directly from Excel does NOT work so well.

However, what does work well is to copy the cells of interest from Excel, Paste into Word, then select/copy the table from Word and paste into an Evernote Note.  This gives you the opportunity to make any formatting adjustments in Word, if it is necessary.

I find it's working in Copy into wordpad then cut to Evernote!