Android: Web Clipper Isn't Working

The recent Android update has an improved Web Clipper. It looks great and I thought I can now stop using Pocket.

But most of the times, it doesn't work. The clipped note is an empty note with a "clipping..." message.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Best I can offer is that clipping works for me - can you visit these notes in a desktop application and use the URL to reload and reclip the page?  And maybe consider removing and reinstalling the app after making sure everything is synced.

Are you referring to the Share Via option on the phone or android device itself?

I ask because I've noticed with the latest up it creates and save notes, but doesn't give me the option to do anything with it. I can't add a title, text or tags. I have to physically open EN, pull up that note and fix it. That's not how it worked before.

Now I just copy the link and create a note from scratch.

The recent Android update has an improved Web Clipper. It looks great and I thought I can now stop using Pocket.

But most of the times, it doesn't work. The clipped note is an empty note with a "clipping..." message.

• 8 months later...

I have this problem regularly. Some notes clip, and at other times it just saves a note that says "clipping..." This bug has persisted with different phones and different Android OS versions (Kitkat and Lollipop).

Can anyone help?

• Level 5*

I have this problem regularly. Some notes clip, and at other times it just saves a note that says "clipping..." This bug has persisted with different phones and different Android OS versions (Kitkat and Lollipop).

Can anyone help?

Hi.  First step in any mobile device query is to sync the device so all your notes are on the server,  then uninstall and reinstall the app.  If you continue to have problems it's possible that the pages you're trying to clip are simply too big / too complicated to convert to notes,  but we'd need you to give us some URL's of typical unclippable pages to take it any further...

Can anyone help?

Hi.  First step in any mobile device query is to sync the device so all your notes are on the server,  then uninstall and reinstall the app.  If you continue to have problems it's possible that the pages you're trying to clip are simply too big / too complicated to convert to notes,  but we'd need you to give us some URL's of typical unclippable pages to take it any further...

Thanks for the reply. I have installed from scratch. This has occurred now on 3 phones, each one with a fresh install of the Evernote app. The failures don't seem to be website-specific. They are instance-specific. It may fail or create a note containing "clipping...". Then I'll try again and it might work on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I might try to clip a page and it will fail, sometimes without even creating a "clipping..." note. Sometimes it says "clip failed", and on other occasions nothing happens at all (elephant icon appears, completes, but there's no note).

I'm convinced that Evernote could reproduce this without too much difficulty, if they just try clipping all sorts of web pages and then looking for failures or "clipping..." notes. They are probably under the false impression that complex pages cause failures, and are missing instances where the failures are not page-specific but rather instance-specific.

Just yesterday my wife clipped about 6 websites to a shared notebook. On my phone, all I saw was "clipping..." notes, even 10 hours later. I opened each site and tried re-clipping from my phone. I had about a 50% success rate, but after many attempts I eventually had all notes successfully clipped. Sometimes I would have to try clipping a page 3 or 4 times before it worked. On each attempt I did nothing differently - just simply tried it again.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  If you're a premium customer I'd suggest talking this through with an Evernote body - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action for the Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays).  If you're experiencing the problem on more than one phone it's definitely worth a bug report...

• 2 years later...

Yeah i seem to have this problem (or some variation of this problem) on my phone a lot.  I very often try to "share to Evernote" using the share picker, and it seems like it doesn't work at least half the time.  The little green elephant will pop up and the circular animation ending in a checkmark will happen, but then when I go to my notes, the article is not there.  It is pretty frustrating.  

• 3 months later...

Has this been fixed yet?  I've not been able to clip a website from my Android in a long time.  My procedure is:

- Open page and decide I want to keep it

- Clip the "share" symbol

- Select "evernote" as the place to save

- The evernote icon pops up and churns for 5 seconds or so then goes away

- Later, when I open evernote, I see a blank page with the message - "Webpage not available"

- The link to the page is on that page so I can click it, go there and save it if I am using the desktop app.

*** YES!  I am using the latest version of Android (several now as this has gone on for as long as I can remember.

I'd love for something in evernote to work for a change.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, mikelisa said:

Has this been fixed yet?  I've not been able to clip a website from my Android in a long time.  My procedure is:

Working fine for me. Opened a web page in Chrome on Android on my phone. Went thought the Share / Send to Evernote dance. While the Evernote icon wast spinning, tapped on it to ensure that I was saving the full article (I was), and let it finish. Opened up Evernote on the same device, let it sync, and the article was there. Took about 30 seconds for the whole sequence, end to end. Running the 7.14 beta 1 build, if that's any use.

• Level 5

@mikelisa, I find that it can sometimes take a really long time to download a complete Web page if it is complex or the connection is slow. Do you have a pretty fast, solid connection? It sounds like you're saying that no matter how long you wait, you never get a clipped page to show up in Evernote on Android. Is that correct?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Android phones -- all androids I've used -- in Chrome go to 3 dots at top right, choose Share, choose Evernote. Evernote symbol appears. Evernote note interface appears with the link written in the note, but in a flash the link is erased. Note is left as is with no link. I go to three dots at upper right, choose Delete note. Return to Chrome. Repeat the steps to create a note and it works fine. Sequence is Chrome > Share > Evernote > fail > delete > Chrome > Share > Evernote > succeed. Every time.  On the other hand Google Keep works first time every time in the same workflow. Watching Evernote actually DELETE the link after capturing it is just an amazing phenomenon.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, lencook said:

Watching Evernote actually DELETE the link after capturing it is just an amazing phenomenon.

...and AFAIK pretty unique. As you're a subscriber I'd suggest you contact support to get their take on this. They may ask for your system logs to look into it further...