Did something happen to the shortcut for checkboxes?

• Level 5*

I used to use CTRL+SHIFT+C to create checkboxes. This was in Windows 7. Recently moved to Windows 10 and the latest version of EN (6.22.3) and my beloved checkbox shortcut does nothing. Did something change? Other shortcuts, such as CTRL+SHIFT+B to insert bullet points, work fine.

• Level 5

I would suspect that Windows 10 has decided that it needs Ctrl+Shift+C for something and won't let it be redefined by mere software. You might need to search for ways to overcome that. But then, I'm not on the latest version of Evernote for Windows, and something may have changed.

• Level 5

I just updated to the current version (6.22), and I find that Ctrl+Shift+C does work to produce a checkbox, but I am still clinging to Windows 7. Perhaps it is a Windows 10 thing. Or perhaps--you know this can happen--something has temporarily gummed up the works in Evernote, and a full shutdown (File > Exit; or from Task Manager) and restart will get it working right.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I just updated to the current version (6.22), and I find that Ctrl+Shift+C does work to produce a checkbox, but I am still clinging to Windows 7. Perhaps it is a Windows 10 thing. Or perhaps--you know this can happen--something has temporarily gummed up the works in Evernote, and a full shutdown (File > Exit; or from Task Manager) and restart will get it working right.

No luck. I'll check after the next restart of the machine.

CTRL+SHIFT+C is used in Win 10 here: https://www.howtogeek.com/353200/how-to-enable-copy-and-paste-keyboard-shortcuts-in-windows-10s-bash-shell/

But it's not enabled by default, and I have it disabled.

16 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I would suspect that Windows 10 has decided that it needs Ctrl+Shift+C

Windows tends to stick to Win+<something> for its keys. It could be a different program registered that sequence. Global hotkeys are a first-come-first-served type thing. And that's not a global hotkey for EN - it's just a standard accelerator sequence (as in, it will only work in EN, not when another program has focus)

And it still WOMM! (Works On My Machine) (Win10Pro + current patchs, EN6.22.3)

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 12/26/2019 at 10:17 AM, dcon said:

Windows tends to stick to Win+<something> for its keys. It could be a different program registered that sequence. Global hotkeys are a first-come-first-served type thing. And that's not a global hotkey for EN - it's just a standard accelerator sequence (as in, it will only work in EN, not when another program has focus)

And it still WOMM! (Works On My Machine) (Win10Pro + current patchs, EN6.22.3)

Using System Configuration, I disabled all non-Microsoft Services and Startup apps. On reboot, I launched EN and the checkbox shortcut works - but only several times and then it stops working. Reboot again, same result. Strange.

I've got the option enabled that converts [] to a checkbox, so that's good enough for now.

• Sad 1
  • 11 months later...

In the recent updates, something changed about the checboxes.
Now there are 2 different types of checkbox in Evernote.
One which you can set as a list indent or the one you can add in the middle of the text.
The bad thing about the UX is the previous model for checkboxes with ctrl+shift+c has been changed to the bullet like item.
So it's no more possible to add a checkbox in the middle of the text with that short key and If you want to do that the only way is to use the drop down insert menue (the + icon) in the upper right part of the context.
If someone know that the new insert checkbox has a new short key please share it with us.
Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 8:57 AM, Farzam said:

Ok,
I just noticed, you can create a check box with []+SPACE and [x]+SPACE to have a checkbox in the middle of a sentence and not in a format of bullet.

THANKS!  IT WORKED for what I need!!! Albeit a stupid work-around that shouldn't be necessary...

I am annoyed that the web version has auto-changed checkboxes to creating a line through them when you check them.  I see on desktop that you can choose checklist boxes versus what I use, but that's not an option in the web version I always use.

I use it as a grocery list, blank boxes. When I check them, it means buy that item. I uncheck as the items go into the cart. This new checklist format turns it grey and draws a line through it. Grr.