Feature Request: Highlight Sync Conflicts

BobSF

Idea

Each time there is a Sync Conflict we have to search through the entire note to find where the conflict is... it is frustrating and time consuming...

A good solution would be to highlight the conflicted text or introduce some unique symbols /// around it \\\ so we can get to it easily and without any wasted time

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, BobSF said:

I can't believe that no one else cares about this feature! 👆

I honestly cannot remember the last time I had this problem.  It has been years.  If I'm working on a good internet connection, sync just works.  I don't even think about it.  If I'm in an area with poor or intermittent internet I've just trained myself to first sync my device, do whatever work I need, and then sync again when I finish.  

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

My solution is to eliminate the sync conflicts in the first place.

When switching devices, sync on both machines

I usually do, but the rare times I forget, it is a mess of a situation! 

26 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I honestly cannot remember the last time I had this problem.  It has been years.  If I'm working on a good internet connection, sync just works.  I don't even think about it.  If I'm in an area with poor or intermittent internet I've just trained myself to first sync my device, do whatever work I need, and then sync again when I finish.  

I encounter this once a few months now. It is not as often as before, but just a few lines of code can fix this issue. Evernote system is already recognizing conflict. All it has to do is add a few symbols or change the color. Shouldn't take a whole lot more coding to accomplish that. :)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 6/6/2019 at 1:59 PM, BobSF said:

Each time there is a Sync Conflict we have to search through the entire note to find where the conflict is... it is frustrating and time consuming...

I just reread this.  As I understand it, a conflict occurs when Evernote cannot tell which edited note is the most current.  I think it is going by the update timestamp and not the note contents (someone will definitely jump in if I'm wrong).  What I think you want, and it is a fair request, is to have the note differences highlighted in each note.  Certainly possible but probably a little more involved than you're envisioning.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, BobSF said:

I can't believe that no one else cares about this feature! 👆

Amazingly enough, others do, and have requested similar functionality. Search the forum for "conflict", and I'd guess you'd find other related topics.

5 hours ago, jefito said:

Amazingly enough, others do, and have requested similar functionality. Search the forum for "conflict", and I'd guess you'd find other related topics.

Before creating this thread, I searched for "conflict" and didn't see any thread that addressed the issue in the first few pages of the search results. I will try again. ✌️

• Level 5

Made the search as well.

Not much syncing conflicts going on, as it seems. I use my account on several devices in parallel, and have not encountered the problem yet. To me it seems the syncing process of EN is very robust. Part of it is finding and flagging sync conflicts in an efficient way.

If comparing the 2 notes is such a lot of work, and sync conflict is within of text, one can export both versions to a text editor that can run 2 versions against one another, and find differences (like MS Word can do).

I think it is really better to find out why syncing went off, and eliminate these situations.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, BobSF said:

@EverNote Could you please fix this issue? 

This discussion is a feature request

To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion