Unfortunately, my love for Evernote is over :(

Dear Evernote,

For the past 8 years, Evernote has been my main application for capturing, storing, structuring and finding my information. In recent years I’ve captured information in literally thousands of notes.

But unfortunately, my love for Evernote is over. 

Over the past few years I have seen little improvement in Evernote, at least improvements that are helpful for me as a frequent Evernote user. With every new version, Evernote introduces many new bugs and removes features which I did not ask for. I have no longer the idea that the Evernote team is working hard to improve the application according to things we ask for.

There might have been put a lot of energy in the Spaces functionality and the business options, but I wasn't waiting for these features and would have preferred a stable Evernote version with new features like Mark down, presentation and theme's (which I think many people are waiting for).

It is unfortunate, but it is what it is. It is time to look for another love to which I can entrust my information and knowledge.

So long Evernote!

• Level 5*

Good bye, good luck

Evernote's still doing the job for me; capturing/storing and finding my information.  Not sure about the structuring part.  
I have over 10k notes.

I'm not a MarkDown user; if needed, I'd use a MD editor and store .md files.
My markup experience is editing Evernote .enml data using text editor Textastic.

17 hours ago, rgschmidt said:

With every new version, Evernote introduces many new bugs and removes features which I did not ask for.

I think this is a concern for many users. Unfortunate to see good, long time users leave the product in my opinion. They cannot make everybody happy but lack of communication (e.g. acknowledging issues, providing feedback on some decisions etc.) is not acceptable to me. I worked for a company where the senior executives did not acknowledge the employee turnover, did not relay information about people quitting, you would find out by word of mouth and people would speculate at many levels. 

If you come out and face the facts, nobody would speculate and you may close out issues. 

Users are asking about why some features are being removed that seemed to be useful to many or why some changes are being made. For example, for me, I don't get the reason behind the new PDF view in the Windows app. There was nothing wrong with the older version and it actually fit in better with the unified note look. I don't know the reason so I keep talking about it, if somebody came out and explained the need (as they saw) for the change I can let it go. 

Nonetheless, good luck with your new system. Feel free to share your transition and what solution you choose.

51 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

I think this is a concern for many users. Unfortunate to see good, long time users leave the product in my opinion. They cannot make everybody happy but lack of communication (e.g. acknowledging issues, providing feedback on some decisions etc.) is not acceptable to me. I worked for a company where the senior executives did not acknowledge the employee turnover, did not relay information about people quitting, you would find out by word of mouth and people would speculate at many levels. 

If you come out and face the facts, nobody would speculate and you may close out issues. 

Users are asking about why some features are being removed that seemed to be useful to many or why some changes are being made. For example, for me, I don't get the reason behind the new PDF view in the Windows app. There was nothing wrong with the older version and it actually fit in better with the unified note look. I don't know the reason so I keep talking about it, if somebody came out and explained the need (as they saw) for the change I can let it go. 

Nonetheless, good luck with your new system. Feel free to share your transition and what solution you choose.

Yes this is exactly the behaviour, the lack of communication and involvement with the usergroup strikes me. Evernote is going down-hill.

I leave with pain in my heart. Evernote has so much potental but it doesn't show.

I'm in the process of selecting an alernative, will let you know how I ended up :)

@TK0047, thanks for your kind words!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, TK0047 said:

For example, for me, I don't get the reason behind the new PDF view in the Windows app. There was nothing wrong with the older version and it actually fit in better with the unified note look. I don't know the reason so I keep talking about it, if somebody came out and explained the need (as they saw) for the change I can let it go. 

This was discussed in the Windows 6.11 GA thread here.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, thorncorona said:

I'm using Evernote Premium and the constant buggy marketing messages is just infuriating me 

A little bothered, but not as much as the Plus users having to deal with Premium marketing.

11 hours ago, thorncorona said:

Does anybody else get bothered by the fact that they keep putting in annoying marketing messages for paid users? I'm using Evernote Premium and the constant buggy marketing messages is just infuriating me 

image.thumb.png.2a32ffa526ba9ad51042910e11a7bbdb.png

I got that message for the first time today. I wanna track how often it will pop up. So 1st one, not yet annoyed. We shall see how it goes. :)

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, thorncorona said:

Does anybody else get bothered by the fact that they keep putting in annoying marketing messages for paid users?

Some do, some don't. I don't, not for this one. It appears to be a one-shot offer to trial the Business for free, which they're pushing because it has some new features that haven't made it into the personal edition. I'm interested in those features, but I'm happy to wait until they reach the personal edition. So I clicked through it, and haven't seen it since. We'll see if it comes back when I update to the new beta.

Hi,

I completely agree. I’ve ben two years waiting for Evernote to support the Catalan language but Evernote is not interested in doing so. I’ve already unsubscribed from Evernote and I’m in t’he process of looking for another app. I’ll give a try to OneNote.

Best

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 3:23 AM, rgschmidt said:

With every new version, Evernote introduces many new bugs and removes features which I did not ask for.

This is the main thing for me as the changes I've seen in recent years have been the ability to add tables (good), the introduction of ads into my paid account (bad), the removal of presentation mode (really bad), and breaking the web clipper (really, really bad). If they let you know what was coming, even in the bad, I could deal with it but with every update you have no idea what you are going to lose. 

I am keeping it for now but no longer renewing annually like I did for so many years and instead simply doing 1-3 months at a time because I have no idea what the service is going to look like beyond that. 

I signed up for a paid account JUST to be able to recover a month long running note that lost with an errant Tab key trying to indent like I do in most other text editors, this was compounded by the the undo function not working in the browser client, which happens on occasions to me along with format loss.

How about just make bulleting and indent work before building new ####? Seriously, the tech industry is maddening. Build shiny beta, release, bank on bi-weekly updates which may or may not address issues, hire good marketing and graphic designers, repeat. Thank god real engineering doesn't work that way (e.g. working on adding hotels and Starbucks to the bay bridge while sections of the road are still missing). 

I just learned OneNote has an Evernote import tool. When I get the time it's done.

• 7 months later...

This is a late addition to this thread but I have to weigh in and express my disappointment with Evernote as well.  It's not the pricing policy or feature changes  that have me bothered.  It's the BUGS.  Evernote is, by far, the buggiest software on my computer--and on my mobile devices.  And that's not a new thing, which is the problem.  The bugs are well known and well reported, yet they persist, year after year. 

This is the thing that has had me lately casting about for an alternative.  It's a shame because the idea behind Evernote is genius.  It's just that the execution is lacking.  I know tech can be difficult so I gave them a few years to work things out.  But my patience has started to noticeably fray. 

Archived