I have lost a big note with all it's history

exceles

Hello,  

One of my biggest notes that I almost use every day have disapeared,  I have also found three clones of the same note, one from 2 days ago in conflictive changes and two in the inbox. They look exactely the same except two of them are missing the information I added yesterday and all of them has no history and I should have a long history of months editing and adding new info every day. I

I have been using like this other 5 notes for different subjects and all of them have all their history, this has only happen once in three years that I have been with evernote but for me loosing history is a huge fail, I can not believe it I have lost all the history of the note, and thank God that for some reason I have the clone because I have no clue of how to recover it

I have search for it in the trash but it was not on the trash, and also for empty notes in the creation date to see if the note has gone blank but still have the history but nothing, it is like if magically the note has disapeared from one day to another swallowing 250 saves of history kindly leaving 3 clones of the last save.

If this happens with my really big important history note then I would not know what to do, I didn't know this could happen with "EVER"note, if ever means anything anymore because I can see my note NOMORE.

Does anyone have any clue how to rescue a completely disapeared note?

Thanks, and sorry I am kind of pissed off.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, exceles said:

Does anyone have any clue how to rescue a completely disapeared note?

I can restore lost content from personal backups and my Mac TimeMachine.

Evernote maintains a Note History backup.  Access to the data is a paid feature, but you can subscribe for a single montth.  Warning: this data is not available for "completely disappeared" notes.

Hi DTLow, I am paid user, I use history many times but in order to access note history you must first access the original note, (if there is another way to access history I don't know), I only have access to three clone notes of the original one but cannot find the original note that contains the history.

I have not make those clones, I never clone a note. If it were for me, I would just disable the cloning feature that likes to clone a note every time it finds conflicting stuff creating all this cloning note stuff. But the point is that, I have three clone notes of the note  I am looking for (created by whoknows), and the three of them has 0 history changes because they are new copies (created by whoknows). 

Where is the original note? I rarely erase notes and ever more, if a note is accidentally deleted I just go to trash and restore it, but this note has gone invisible, I can not find a clue of what had happened and the only thing left is three clones, and I did not make the clones....

• Level 5*

I can appreciate the frustration of losing important historical data,  but please everyone let's realise that equipment fails,  viruses can damage data,  and mistakes happen.  You're maybe in a better position with Evernote than with many apps since there's a copy of your data on every device with permanent storage,  plus a backup with (usually) history on Evernote's servers.  Many risks are already covered - but nothing beats a regular database backup from your own system,  which guarantees that there's a copy of yesterday's note in a secure location,  just in case something bad happens to the primary version in all locations.

As far as long notes are concerned,  I'd suggest that many small notes are better than one long one for similar reasons - if a note goes missing it's not the end of the world.  Plus short notes are easy to sort into one long narrative if and when you need that.  I use (sorry for the constant repetition of this) "yyyymmdd project keywords" as a title so I can sort my notes in the correct order even if I  create the notes out of order or in one batch.

I'm not precious about this - I just started creating 'purchase order' notes as compilations of my initial order,  plus copies of confirmation emails,  tracking reports and occasionally returns dialogue and reorders.  (As my overall note count grows over 40K I'm looking for ways to ensure searches don't take too long or throw up too many false hits.)  The biggest of those notes though is 2,000 characters long.  And I have backup copies in case any data goes missing...

Anyway.  None of that is helpful in the present situation.  I don't see any confirmation of the OS or Evernote version you're using,  but 'conflicting edit' copies are usually a sign that Evernote has detected two different version of the same note and doesn't know which is  the correct,  latest version.  Evernote saves both.  If the situation continues - i.e. more notes to sync and Evernote still doesn't know which is the lead note - you get more conflict notes.

They're usually in a different folder to distinguish them from 100% up-to-date notes.  Newly created notes in that folder don't have a 'note history' as such.

If you were using the web client,  such hiccups usually indicate an interrupted connection - and if that was the problem,  your latest edits may never have made it to Evernote's servers.  They won't have been recorded anywhere other than the browser cache memory.  So the only option for any missing section(s) is - I'm afraid - to bite the bullet and recreate your notes as far as possible.

You should certainly report this to Evernote Support - there's an outside chance they can assist,  and more details might help them avoid similar situations in future.  The Support team is available on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not. 

Thanks gazumped , I really appreciate your effort but I could not get the note back. 

There was no luck, it is completely gone, I can not explain what happened because I don't know. I have had that note for months and access its historical database many times and if I ever delete a note I do it manually and I am sure I didn't delete it because (I have delete button removed from my keyboard and I use context menu to delete if I want to delete something) I only have to go to trash but in this case it has not gone anywhere, its completely and absolutely gone, except some 3 magical clones that had appear at the same time, one of them coming from conflicting changes and now the three are in the same notebook with no history waiting for me to decide what to do.

I know I could have tons of backups here and there, but the  thing is I don't, and the point of using evernote was so I didnt have to care about my information dissapearing like it just did, and the joke is the name of the application "ever note", meaning, my note is forever, but the truth is that my note only lasted less than a year. Maybe with "ever" means just the actual momentum of the note,  like human bodies that are alive but cells die but before dying they make a clone, or that is what happened to my note, it suicided it self leaving 3 clones before it dissapeared.

Getting in touch with support is not viable because at this point I know the note is gone forever and I do not want anyone that is not me going though my database searching anything even if it is to help me.

I bet the problem is coming from the cloning feature that occurs whenever a conflict change occur. I swear if I could by anyway disable the conflicting changes note I would. I remember having touch this matter in the past with no luck

Some questions about what is behind sharing un-sharing a public note.

How to make evernote NOT TO DUPLICATE FILES OR NOTES

, the problem is never the software of course, is me that I am not good enough using it or that is what I am told every time I ask, like if it were easy for me to ask for help in another language. Para mi seria muchisimo mas facil quejarme en español, obviamente.

that is why the lapsus time in between my complains is bigger each time than the previous one, I have not complain in months and not because evernote don't stop in thinking of ways to make its service worse to the small individuals even if they pay, it is because I know it is pointless, in three year they haven change a single thing in the way I am looking for, I don't even complain about the tables no more, they have change 2 times the table systems, I mean big changes, it had ruin hundreds of notes that I had a table inside table system, and when I finally resolve the mess of the first big table change and get use to its ***** auto resize system, another change and now even more than a thousand notes with tables that I can not see the columns in the right without open the note because now the preview is not resized, and I could go on and on with more ***** annoying conflicts I do have with evernote.

I am so sure that I would have never become an evernote Premium user if I knew about evernote what I now know but..... The reality is that I have evernote premium since 3 years ago and over 14k notes and is not easy to move all at once but while migrating to onenote, but the cloning stuff and now the loosing all the history.... arrrghhh, it is so FU*****G frustrating and there is nothing I can do except complain and I guess that is it, complain should make me happy because obviously no one is going to tell me how to disable the conflicting changes notebook or how to disable the cloning feature, or how is it possible that a F**K*N* huge note of at least 100 rows, with lots of images and lots of auto backup in history changes over the past 6 months had suddently dissapearded with a keyboard that has no delete button....

If I had the chance (in a magical world where evernote cares ) to get only one anoying feauture of the many I have collected solved by them, that would be the cloning stuff... that I am convinced that carry with many other issues, probably responsable for loosing my big note. DONT NEED CLONES OF MY NOTES HEAR ME EVERNOTE?.

If I want to clone a note, I just clone it, I don't need a copy any time a conflict occurs. Conflicts should be handled differently. I like better to be told by a message that the note is not available at the moment, or, a warning telling me that the note is in read mode because someone has opened it, and in this case, if I am the owner to have access to send an instruction to auto-close the others note, and in the case someone that is not me has no access to internet but is editing the note and I am also editing the same note in offline mode then, it could ask me which one I want to keep or at least to ask me if I want to clone it...... but no, the truth is that it just clone the note, and I never realize it because I don't look at every note if its under conflicting changes notebook before I use it... that is ridiculous and pointless.

Did you know that I have 600 notes in the trash in the past year and all of them are cloned notes from conflicting changes? as I said,  I do not delete notes, never, don't like to delete anything, that was the idea when starting with evernote, but evernote is the one who is forcing me to send to trash cloned notes, I know, it is just a clone, but it looks exactly like the note I work with everyday and I am getting use to send my notes to the trash because they are cloned over and over just because I can not disable the cloning feature.

Sorry  for my complains, I am so pissed off with evernote as many of you, (I dont have many messages in this forum but I do read a lot from others).

It is like it only matters to me. I did a very huge mistake 3 years ago trusting this BU*LS**T.

Thanks. Regards, y todo eso.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, exceles said:

If I had the chance (in a magical world where evernote cares ) to get only one anoying feauture of the many I have collected solved by them, that would be the cloning stuff... that I am convinced that carry with many other issues, probably responsable for loosing my big note. DONT NEED CLONES OF MY NOTES HEAR ME EVERNOTE?.

If I want to clone a note, I just clone it, I don't need a copy any time a conflict occurs. Conflicts should be handled differently. I like better to be told by a message that the note is not available at the moment, or, a warning telling me that the note is in read mode because someone has opened it, and in this case, if I am the owner to have access to send an instruction to auto-close the others note, and in the case someone that is not me has no access to internet but is editing the note and I am also editing the same note in offline mode then, it could ask me which one I want to keep or at least to ask me if I want to clone it...... but no, the truth is that it just clone the note, and I never realize it because I don't look at every note if its under conflicting changes notebook before I use it... that is ridiculous and pointless.

Did you know that I have 600 notes in the trash in the past year and all of them are cloned notes from conflicting changes? as I said,  I do not delete notes, never, don't like to delete anything, that was the idea when starting with evernote, but evernote is the one who is forcing me to send to trash cloned notes, I know, it is just a clone, but it looks exactly like the note I work with everyday and I am getting use to send my notes to the trash because they are cloned over and over just because I can not disable the cloning feature.

OK, so I can't comment (much) on your missing content, except to say that that shouldn't happen under normal circumstances. If you aren't able to retrieve the missing stuff with note history, and it's not in the Conflicted Notes notebook, then it's probably gone, and that's a shame. Hard to say what happened otherwise.

As far as note conflicts go, if you're going to operate on shared notes in offline mode, then you're probably going to continue to get note conflicts, unless you get a lot more careful than you seem to be at the moment. If you're offline, then Evernote has no way of enforcing any kind of synchronization between notes being edited simultaneously (as in locking other copies of the note from editing) and that's all it takes. Once you have a note that's been edited in two or more places, there's not much that Evernote can do about it. You have a note conflict: multiple versions of the same note.

Once you're in that situation, something needs to be done to resolve the situation. One way is to keep all of the versions, and let the user figure it out. That's what Evernote does, and it does so by placing one (or both) copies into the Conflicted Notes notebook. This is what you call "cloning", but it isn't really cloning the note; it's just saving a copy of the separately edited note, leaving you to figure out how to resolves the separate sets of edits into a single master note, which is not always an easy task.

A further approach that might be done is for Evernote to try to produce a computer generated merge of the notes (this has been suggested and discussed elsewhere in the forums). This is done often in computer software source control systems, and it's a common scenario when multiple programmers are editing files in the same project. If one checks in a change for a file into the central source repository that the other programmer is editing, then you have a conflict, and the second programmer needs to merge their changes to the master copy. Most source control systems have tools that can make this easy, but even so, it's not always possible for the computer to resolve all of the conflicts, and the programmer will need to resolve them by hand. This might or might not be feasible for Evernote, but I think that it would be helpful.

In any case, by ignoring/deleting conflicted note copies, you are probably losing edits that someone is making on your notes. I'd recommend that you pay a bit more attention to them when they arise, and try to take steps to prevent them from happening in the first place. Evernote isn't creating these copies for no reason; it's trying to help you.

• Level 5*
On 12/2/2017 at 5:52 AM, exceles said:

Not sure if this was mentioned above, but the way to avoid conflicts is to be sure and sync whenever you enter/exit a platform.  Things are better today than they were years ago if you are always Internet attached, at least with IOS and Windows.  IOS and Windows with instant sync enabled typically sync changes within 10-15 seconds. 

But to be sure, always sync when you enter/exit a platform is a good rule to follow to avoid conflicts (CLONES in your terms).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
30 minutes ago, mikea144 said:

Does anyone know if exceles had a backup image of his hard drive when the note was intact how would he use that to recover the note? 

Working with a backup image of the hard drive would be difficult.
Better to use alternate backup methods that are file/note based

I have a Time Machine backup on my Mac
I also use Evernote's note export feature for daily incremental backups, and weekly full backup

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, mikea144 said:

Does anyone know if exceles had a backup image of his hard drive when the note was intact how would he use that to recover the note? 

It would be arduous, but could be done.  One would have to disconnect from the internet, save the current EXB, replace it with the backup EXB, export the note to ENEX, put the current EXB back, reconnect to the internet, import the EXB, and fix.  Lots of opportunities for oopses if not familiar with EN.

Archived