Does Evernote stores every content I attached locally

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-15 at 10:59 AM, omzeybek@gmail.com said:

I am not sure if evernote stores every file I attached to notes in my computer locally, or all data is uploaded to cloud. Latter in my position would be so nice, so I can preserve much more HDD capacity  for my other needs.

The Win/Mac platforms store a copy of the data locally, including attached files

Evernote/Windows has an interesting feature called Demand Sync.
Only active notes are maintained in the local database; inactive notes are not included
I understand this is working well, but it would seem to complicate the search and backup process

• Level 5*

Evernote will store your data locally and in the cloud unless, per @DTLow, you Enable on demand sync in Windows.  The EN note history function works well for everything but an accidental note delete.  So if you are comfortable with that and don't have a lot of need for offline access, on demand sync can help with your HDD issue. 

Though depending upon use case, it can take a while to build a large data base.  You can always start on demand sync later when disk space becomes an issue.

• Level 5*
On 10/15/2017 at 1:59 PM, omzeybek@gmail.com said:

I am not sure if evernote stores every file I attached to notes in my computer locally,

The Windows and Mac Evernote applications have two types of notebooks: normal and local. Local notebooks are never synced to the Evernote servers, so you want to be very careful about using local notebooks, because you need to do your own backups. Recommendation: don't use local notebooks unless you really need them and you really, really know what you're doing. 

By contrast, normal notebooks are always synced to the Evernote cloud, so your notes are safe. 

Beyond that, the Windows client has something called On Demand sync, as described above. where notes are not necessarily stored locally all the time, but can be downloaded automatically from the Evernote servers as you need them. 

• Level 5
On 10/15/2017 at 1:59 PM, omzeybek@gmail.com said:

I am not sure if evernote stores every file I attached to notes in my computer locally, or all data is uploaded to cloud. Latter in my position would be so nice, so I can preserve much more HDD capacity  for my other needs.

Just to be sure we're understanding your question correctly, I think you're asking whether attachments (not just the text of a note) are stored locally. The answer is yes, I believe, attachments are incorporated into the content of the note in Evernote's local database on your computer, though not (I believe!) as separate documents. And they are also uploaded to Evernote's master version of your note database (in the "cloud"), unless the note is in a local (unsynced) notebook. This implies that if you attach, say, a .JPG file from your computer to an Evernote note and sync it, you could delete the original .JPG from your computer and still have it stored in Evernote.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
  • Level 5

This thread is heavily misleading.

All posts except the last one are about the old, legacy client. It worked off the local database, syncing it independently from using the client. The new client will sync practically instantaneous with the cloud, and use the local copy mainly to speed things up, and for offline use.

These 2 clients are sufficiently different not to be discussed in the same thread.