Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My idea is that Evernote add Notebooks. Notebooks can have sections and then the sub category under sections is pages. Like OneNote so that there are unlimited Sections within a notebook and unlimited pages within a section instead of Evernote's add a drawing feature.


I would also like to see different tips (pen, pencil, marker, highlighter, fountain pen), different thicknesses in mm (0.5, 0.7, 0.9, 1.0), lasso (cutting feature), stroke (for lines) and small, medium and large erasers. Different colors for pens would be great in a pinwheel formation.


I'd like the ability to type equations and shape recognition would be amazing.


Since I'm a student I'd like lined, graph, isometric and music paper styles. with paper color options too.


In college, it's important to collaborate with people so ability to collaborate Notebooks or individual notes would be the best!
In lectures, my professors post PDFs of their PowerPoints and I'd like to put them into Evernote to write notes on top of their notes and record the lecture at the same time.


Finally, inserting pictures and editing them into a note is important as well because sometimes my professors draw complicated graphs and the ability to add tables for data used in class lectures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, axkgo said:

My idea is that Evernote add Notebooks.

Evernote does have Notebooks; a collection of notes

>>Notebooks can have sections and then the sub category under sections is pages

Currently, the structure in Evernote is   Stacks > Notebooks > Notes
                                          also viewed as    Tags > Notes   with an unlimed hierarchy for tags

Personally I like the minimal structure - I use tags, and only a few notebooks
Perhaps sectioning would be useful within a note

>>I would also like to see different tips (pen, pencil, marker, highlighter, fountain pen),

The Evernote editor has a basic feature set.
I switch to dedicated apps when I need extended features.  My favourite is Notability on my iPad

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hi.  Thanks for your suggestions,  but they've all been raised before,  with the question of folders vs tags and notebook hierarchies being probably the oldest and most discussed to death.  These are all great ideas for a student or anyone with a need to deal with technical documentation,  but that kind of use case may not be a major interest for most Evernote users.  It would take a great deal of time,  effort and investment to develop any part of this - why would Evernote risk that investment against only a possible uptick in new paying users?

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the heads up DTLow.  

@gazumped, no offense but what makes you think that "every one of Evernote users" hates this idea? You shouldn't categorize people together like that. If it's been raised before, then people do care. Maybe it won't "up stick" new users but they won't know unless they try. Frankly, there are many people in the world that need this type of organization (not that you seem to care about what they want) You said it's "the oldest and most discussed to death" topic. Wow. So not only do people care but now you're saying forget it because people or rather "you" are stuck in your ways and you just hate the idea of adding something new. 

So, I don't care if it takes Evernote a long time to make this happen. It's obviously been done before (OneNote, Notability) but I would rather have both the note taking aspects and the organization that Evernote also has which are wonderful features - COMBINED. It is so annoying to have one app for note taking and an app like Evernote and have to BUY AND SYNC two different apps. Two different places to make sure that all your notes and organization doesn't go missing. Plus, really if you don't want to personally use the feature or like it then don't use it if they start changing things! 

One last thing - I know Evernote has their app Scannable for handwritten notes. But if you have a lot of notes, why then would you want to take a picture of 100+ notes one at a time??

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, gazumped said:

may not be a major interest for most Evernote users

 

14 minutes ago, axkgo said:

"every one of Evernote users" hates this idea

I think this is self-explanatory.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

jim.g: got the point. But seriously doesn't change the fact he's ignoring that it's been brought up so many other times. So people care about it. And how does he know if "most Evernote users" aren't majorly interested? Can he really make that assumption based on his (guzump's) personal opinion?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, axkgo said:

jim.g: got the point. But seriously doesn't change the fact he's ignoring that it's been brought up so many other times. So people care about it. And how does he know if "most Evernote users" aren't majorly interested? Can he really make that assumption based on his (guzump's) personal opinion?

I don't know how many years @gazumped has been actively helping out in these forums, but he's posted 19,194 times and gotten 5,182 likes of his posts. I trust what he says. He's had tons of personal experience seeing people's requests and EN's responses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, axkgo said:

One last thing - I know Evernote has their app Scannable for handwritten notes. But if you have a lot of notes, why then would you want to take a picture of 100+ notes one at a time??

I use Scanable all the time

My iPad works well for taking notes, handwriting, sketches etc, but sometimes it gets in the way for taking notes.  

So I use a notebook.
I don't keep the paper copy - I imediately scan into Evernote and discard the hardcopy

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, jim.g said:

By the way, I believe you're at 3 and 0.

@jim.g Great! Way to be rude! I know that Mr Obvious. I just started. I wasn't looking for an argument but I was looking for a solution without having to take pictures of my notes and just write in the app so I don't have to do a million things. I'm a student that is hardworking and VERY BUSY. Give me a break.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, StudiousStudent said:

@jim.g Great! Way to be rude! I know that Mr Obvious. I just started. I wasn't looking for an argument but I was looking for a solution without having to take pictures of my notes and just write in the app so I don't have to do a million things. I'm a student that is hardworking and VERY BUSY. Give me a break.

Karma dude.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Wow Guys, great way to make a young person enthusiastic about Evernote! I definitely think that both Penultimate and the inking abilities of the EN app are way behind the times and need to be updated.  And who wants to write on paper, take a picture in scannable and throw the paper away? You guys think that's the best way? I use scannable for items that I don't have the electronic version in my possession.  EN must continue to improve and evolve or it won't survive.  Telling people that what we have is good enough in 2017 is an outdated mode of thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, jdriggs said:

Wow Guys, great way to make a young person enthusiastic about Evernote! I definitely think that both Penultimate and the inking abilities of the EN app are way behind the times and need to be updated.  And who wants to write on paper, take a picture in scannable and throw the paper away? You guys think that's the best way? I use scannable for items that I don't have the electronic version in my possession.  EN must continue to improve and evolve or it won't survive.  Telling people that what we have is good enough in 2017 is an outdated mode of thinking.

Hi.  Are you sure you posted in the right thread?  Can't find anything that said 'what we have is good enough' - that would be dumb.  Everyone will take any improvement on offer. 

The general theme of this thread so far seems to be:  we have what we have,  and it can't change anytime soon.  Users need to learn to live with it or find something else.. or be patient and wait for Evernote to work their way through a development schedule that only they know,  and they ain't talking...

Share this post


Link to post

Please note, I didn’t put quotations around that comment.   That was the gist of what you guys were saying.  You said learn to live with it, I interpret that as you think it’s good enough.  Anyway, not here to argue, I have much more important things to do.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, jdriggs said:

You said learn to live with it, I interpret that as you think it’s good enough.

These forums are in the "Using Evernote" section
To contribute feedback, you could post in the feedback/request forums

I contributed my examples of how I use Evernote
I also suggested using alternate editors if the basic Evernote editor doesn't do the job for you

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...